Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    txladyofthelake Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 06:39 PM
    Connect Pantech UM175 wireless broadband modem to Belkin Wireless G router
    I have a Pantech UM 175 wireless broadband modem from Millenicom and I am able to hook it up to a laptop running Vista, a laptop running XP, and a PC running XP individually. However, I would like to have it where I can create a network so that any or all of the computers can access the internet at the same time via the Belkin Wireless G router.

Is this possible? I have tried to use the PC as a server with ICS and followed directions on setting it up. But, I cannot get it to work.

I cannot connect the Pantech UM 175 directly into the Belkin Wireless G router because the Pantech has a male USB connection and the router only has ethernet ports?

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 18, 2009, 11:10 AM

You will need to connect your router to your broadband modem. Any connections to the Internet should go via the wireless access point in your router. Do not use the wireless access in your broadband modem.

May 19, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    You will need to connect your router to your broadband modem. Any connections to the Internet should go via the wireless access point in your router. Do not use the wireless access in your broadband modem.
    Thanks for the info. The problem I have is that the broadband modem is a male usb port and the router only has female ethernet ports. Do you know of an an adapter that will allow me to plug the broadband modem directly into the wireless router?

May 20, 2009, 04:30 AM

I just looked up your product - the Pantech UM 175 (Verizon Aircard). This is a single PC product and is not meant to be connected to a router. Unlike most Internet modems, it does not ALSO have an RJ-45 ethernet connection. Sorry for that.

The only way you are going to be able to share your Internet connection with this product is to connect with your laptop or desktop PC with the USB connection and then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the PC. Your PC will become the router and DHCP server. Your other router can not be used in this case.

May 20, 2009, 05:32 AM
    I just looked up your product - the Pantech UM 175 (Verizon Aircard). This is a single PC product and is not meant to be connected to a router. Unlike most Internet modems, it does not ALSO have an RJ-45 ethernet connection. Sorry for that.

The only way you are going to be able to share your Internet connection with this product is to connect with your laptop or desktop PC with the USB connection and then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the PC. Your PC will become the router and DHCP server. Your other router can not be used in this case.

Well, thank you for that information. I have been trying to set up ICS on the PC with no luck, but maybe it is because the router is connected to the PC. I'll keep trying.

May 20, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by txladyofthelake View Post
    Well, thank you for that information. I have been trying to set up ICS on the PC with no luck, but maybe it is because the router is connected to the PC. I'll keep trying.
    They will definitely butt heads with each other:eek:. Both your PC and the router want to be boss in that case. Both would want to be the primary router and DHCP server. There should only be one.

May 20, 2009, 05:48 AM
    They will definitely butt heads with each other:eek:. Both your PC and the router want to be boss in that case. Both would want to be the primary router and DHCP server. There should only be one.
    As you can tell, I'm not really an expert at all this :D, so before I spend a lot more time trying to get this to work, I need to know one thing. If I get it all set up with the PC as the router, will I be able to connect a laptop to the internet that is located about 150 feet away? The whole object was to try to share an internet connection with my brother.

May 20, 2009, 07:20 AM

If you plan to use your other laptop with wireless, then you can connect your router to the same network and use it as an access point only. You will have to give it a different address than your PC and you will need to disable DHCP on the router as well.

So, if your PC is set to 192.168.1.1, then set your router to 192.168.1.2. Connect the Ethernet port on your PC to one of the available switch ports on the router. You can connect the other laptop to the network via wireless and your Internet connected PC can assign an address to it and share the Internet to it.

May 20, 2009, 07:57 AM
    If you plan to use your other laptop with wireless, then you can connect your router to the same network and use it as an access point only. You will have to give it a different address than your PC and you will need to disable DHCP on the router as well.

So, if your PC is set to 192.168.1.1, then set your router to 192.168.1.2. Connect the Ethernet port on your PC to one of the available switch ports on the router. You can connect the other laptop to the network via wireless and your Internet connected PC can assign an address to it and share the Internet to it.
    Thanks for all of your help Chuckhole. I will try again.
    scamatics777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 08:43 AM
    Here's what I did. Pluged in PC card to usb. Go to network connections on your PC. Make sure you have set up a bridged connection (windows will show you how) using the dial up connection created by your PC card and one of your other locations (example I'm using location 1) this is the ethernet port that is installed in the back of your computer. Now plug in a ethernet cord to the back of your computer and then to your routers internet in jack plug in router and you should have your shared connection. I'm using wireless g linksys. Got my room running, my upstairs comp. xbox 360 and living room computer all off just 1 PC card in the living room with my linksys wireless router. Make sure also to go to your network connections properties click on advanced and check the box that allows other network users to connect through this computers internet connection. You may have to restart your computer after this to allow for the change if you don't get shared internet. Hope this helps. (FYI. Computer in living room is win.xp, room is vista, upstairs is xp home.)
    foxzzy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 02:00 PM
    Chuckhole is full of BS- he is obviously years behind the times...
    foxzzy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 02:01 PM

chuckhole is full of BS - and at least 5 years behind the times...
    rumseycw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
    All you need is a simple RJ45 cable connected wireless hub to add to the computer that is using the UM175 broadband modem. When the power is on and cables connected between Host ICS computer and the hub/wireless hub, other computers can connect to the network you made using the DHCP ethernet connection. Problem solved!

Don't use a router or a switch or more advance device unless you like spending more money and like configuration hell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Verizon USB UM175 Pantech Air/Data Card Can't Connect [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Verizon USB UM175 Pantech Air/Data Card. I got a brand new USB card and went through the set up process successfully. Everything says connected and seems to be working correctly. But when I try to go to a web page in IE7 or Opera I get "The web page cannot be displayed" message. I was on...

Wireless Router Into Modem [ 2 Answers ]

I searched around, but didn't find anything exactly like this: I have a Thompson DSL modem, but it has a router built into it (4 port - yes, the router and modem are all-in-one). I need wireless in my office, so I have a Network Everywhere (Linksys) 4 port wireless router, but I can't get it to...

Broadband speeds using wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

Sometime ago, I switched from DSL to a broadband cable. I use a Netgear wireless router WGR614v5 (54 mbps) so I can take my laptop into another room. What I am unable to determine is whether the speed is determined by the router or the ISP. I would appreciate your clarification on this...

View more questions Search