Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ldouglas227 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 12:30 PM
    Ground cover after bulbs
    I am wondering if there is a flowering ground cover, or non-flowering one, that would come up after the tulips and grape hyacinths have spent their blooms. The area is full sun.
    ruthmarx Posts: 41, Reputation: 10

May 17, 2009, 03:50 PM
    I have been working on this issue for a while now. I'll tell you what I've read, what I've done and what hasn't worked.
    I'm anxious to hear from you, because I have some work to do in this area.
    What I've read is to mix the bulbs, late winter, early spring, spring, and fall... you get the idea. Bulbs like crocus for early and lilies and buttercups for mid and then canna and gladiolus for late. What I've planted is just that.. . Plus some ground cover roses and perinnials like daisies and more statueque perinnials like lavender. Then when I feel up to it, fill in the bare spots with some annuals - or not. . I have gotten quite fond of thyme, other herbs, and sedum as a ground cover in the bulb areas, too. Chicks and Hens seem to be working in the drier areas of the yard. Ive been experimenting with wave petunias and geraniums, while they look great, neither of these winter over in my zone. I like a simple cedar bark mulch, too.
    What I don't like - and this may just be me - is when the bulbs are too mixed up. Then it's hard to clear out the dead leaves after blooming is finished. So, I've redone my bulbs to 3 - 6 ft square sections of like bulbs that bloom around the same time. Then it's easier to clear out and prepare for the next round of blooming.
    've been working on the ratio mix, too. Again, this is just me. I've been mixing the bulbs by size. For instance, If I have a 2 inch diameter lily bulb, then I use enough.. . Say dwarf irises or other bulbs to make up the same 2 inches of bulb size next to the lily and plant as directed. Since you plant at different depths, it seems to work out just fine. I've noticed that packing seems to be this ratio, but now I'm dividing them. So this is my rule of thumb.
    One last thought, plumbego is a late blooming perinnial. I have early short bulbs ( grapes hyacinthus, crocus and dwarf irises) and mid tall bulbs (buttercups and gladiolus) mixed in for a full season of color.
    GirlyWrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2009, 03:30 PM

No problem planting bulbs in with groundcover. Depending on where you live, when the foliage of the spring flowering bulbs dies back, the groundcover gets going and eventually covers the fading foliage.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 26, 2009, 04:29 AM

I have periwinkle ground cover all over my garden (dark shiny green leaves and blue flowers) that start to bloom in the spring before the tulips and continue until late fall. My tulips, crocuses and grape hyacinthe come up through the periwinkle, which by the way is ultra easy to transplant anywhere in the garden.

Tick
    GirlyWrench Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2009, 07:22 AM

IDouglas, where do you live?

Periwinkle is lovely. Here in the midwest, it only blooms in the spring, after the Crocus all the way until the late Tulips are finished.

It blooms a little again in the fall. Same schedule as Viola -- (Pansy and Johnny Jump Up).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back yard ground cover [ 7 Answers ]

I am taking out my lawn because it doesn't grow due to tall trees and no sun. I'm wondering what would be best to lay down to prevent a mud buildup. I have two dogs both runners. Would 1/4 inch minus packed down be good enough or should I use a bigger rock? Or is there something else I could use...

Ground cover for front yard [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! I am totally over mowing my front yard! I think I want to put in a ground cover over most of it and I'm not sure what to put in... maybe periwinkle? Does anyone have any ideas for central NC, zone 7... I have awesome topsoil because the woman that had the house for 75 years before me was a...

Ground cover that won't grow over mulch [ 3 Answers ]

I'm kind of new at flower gardening. I'd like to plant a strip of ground cover on each side of my sidewalk coming up to my front door, but I want to be sure I plant something that won't grow over my mulch or over the sidewalk. Considering what else I have already planted, I'm thinking something...

Above ground pool cover water [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone is it OK to use the water on your above ground pool cover to help fill your pool?

View more questions Search