Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TURKEY-POINT Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2006, 05:14 PM
    Manitoba statute of limitations
    Is there a statute in Manitoba in criminal matters? If so , how many years?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2006, 11:31 PM
    When you ask about a SOL in Manitoba, I assume you mean you kill someone, how long does the Crown have to file charges against you? Or perhaps you raped someone? Or perhaps you assaulted someone? Stole something?

I assume that is on the lines of what you are asking?

Assuming that is, you should know that the fact that you are in Manitoba is irrelevant. Criminal matters are a federal responsibility and therefore are governed by federal legislation, not provincial.

So, in terms of federal sol's on filing criminal charges:

Here is what I found on http://www.weitzlux.com/statuteoflim...more_4294.html

In contrast, Canada has a criminal limitations periods only for summary (less serious) offences. The period is six months from the date of the offence. Thus, A can only be charged with failing to inform of a hole in ice (an actual offence) within six months of the time of commission, unless both the Crown and the defence agree. In the case of indictable (more serious) offences, if A sexually assaulted V, A could be charged any time in the future—even if the crime happened twenty years ago.
    So there is your answer.

Summary offence = SOL of 6 months
    Indictable offence = no SOL

What is the difference b/w the 2?

INDICTABLE OFFENCE
    An "indictable offence" is an offence designated as such in the Criminal Code of Canada, where the Crown has not elected to proceed by way of summary proceeding. For indictable offences the penalty or punishment that results from conviction is usually set out in the Criminal Code and if not, the maximum punishment is five years in prison. There are few limitations affecting the timing upon which a charge can be laid after the commission of the offence and usually the accused is required to personally appear in court to enter a plea to the charge. A summary offence as designated in the Criminal Code involves a maximum punishment of between six and 18 months depending on the specific offence. In the case of a summary offence, there is a limitation period of six months between the date upon which the offence occurred and the date upon which the charge can be laid. The accused can have a representative appear in court on their behalf to enter a plea. Some offences in the Criminal Code are designated as "hybrid" or "dual," which allows the Crown prosecutor to elect the direction of the proceedings towards either an indictable or summary conviction. In these cases, the offence is always regarded as indictable until the Crown prosecutor formally elects to proceed by way of summary offence.

SUMMARY OFFENCE
    A summary offence as designated in the Criminal Code of Canada involves a maximum punishment of between six and 18 months depending on the specific offence. In the case of a summary offence, there is a limitation period of six months between the date upon which the offence occurred and the date upon which the charge can be laid. The accused can have a representative appear in court on their behalf to enter a plea. Some offences in the Criminal Code are designated as "hybrid" or "dual," which allows the Crown prosecutor to elect the direction of the proceedings towards either an indictable or summary conviction. In these cases, the offence is always regarded as indictable until the Crown prosecutor formally elects to proceed by way of summary offence.

Source: http://www.solgen.gov.ab.ca/corrections/glossary.aspx

Criminal Code of Canada, see here: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/C-46/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Long story short... I have autobody bills outstanding, I have been sent all the invoices for them with the dates. The earliest date being 2 years ago and last one 4 years ago, this is the first letter sent about this issue. They tell me they will take me to court. What is the statute of...

Statute of Limitations - Ontario [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, This is in reference to a consumer debt by the way. I have read that the Ontartio sTatute law was modified Such that any debt as of jan 1 2004 was "sue-able" within 2 years , any debt before that was "sue-able" for up to 6 years. Is that correct? Also, assuming I encounted a debt in Sept...

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and 10 years ago my father got into an accident at work which left him unable to work, he didn't know english and so he couldn't find another job, the insurance company didn't give us a penny for 5 years and so we were forced to go on welfare. I was about 11 years old...

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

Statute of limitations [ 3 Answers ]

I went to renew my license in NY state and there is a hold from NM for a failure to appear for DWI from 1994.:eek: they said they" just updated their computers to add me to the system". The clerk I spoke to in NM said I "must pay bond" and "appear in NM" to resolve this issue.:mad: can I have...

View more questions Search