Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iLLyriC Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 06:47 AM
    How important is the paging file that windows uses as RAM
    Hi everyone,

I would like to ask why is it important that windows uses a part of the hard disk memory as an additional RAM? I want to free up some space and I'm not sure if it is a good solution or not to modify the Page file.
    I also looked up in "dxdiag" and it says that I have a total paging file of 1400 MB, and it is using only 460MB of it, so reducing it won't trouble much, will it?

And there's also another issue. I have a RAM 1 GB, and my PC uses approximately the half of it. Some people say that the more RAM you have the better, so can you advice me to buy more RAM or not?

Thanks a lot!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 17, 2009, 09:41 PM

The more RAM the better. Period. That's my story, my experience... and if you're talking about a WINDOWS computer, I would max the memory my computer allows. I have in virtually every computer I have.

SWAP SPACE - I turn off "managed" swap space by "bricking" the swap file to 2.5 times the amount of physical memory that I have.

So, with 1GB real memory, I would set my swap file to a flat size of 2500MB. No resizing allowed.

This results in a significant improvement in performance. Windows NEVER spends any time trying to figure out how to utilize the existing swap space or resizing it, never. It always has a set amount.

Period.

In my personal and business computers I have followed those two practices staunchly and have had excellent results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows XP - File Permissions [ 1 Answers ]

So, the other day I finally got bored with "simple file sharing" in windows XP and disabled it so I could actually set permissions on files. My intentions where to disable the guest account from accessing my development folders with all my source code and stuff... I accidentally selected the wrong...

Windows XP missing Jar File [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I try to download certain software, and it starts to install the software, I get a window that says, "Unable to install due to Virtual Machine Launcer, missing Jar File".

Corrupt file (extremely important files) [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so before slicking my computer and starting from afresh, I zip a massive 9 gigabyte folder into about 6 gigs. These files were things I needed very severely for my resumes, portfolios, class work, exams, projects, pictures videos... four years worth of programming code crapped away; you get...

Paging Speedball (Tom)... Help will really tall shower drain... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Tom, I have a question for you, we are building a shower stall and using the drain and vent from a sink we removed. {Note the bathroom is gutted and the floors are currently bare} The question is this, currently the drain pipe (PVC) to the new shower drain location is about 2 1/2 to 3...

View more questions Search