Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spleenless9 Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

May 15, 2009, 08:15 PM
    Plunger on tub doesn't work
    The drain plug on my tub doesn't work. It is connected to the trip lever - when I move the drain plug up or down the trip lever moves - but it will not stay in the up position by itself. The trip lever seems loose, but I don't want to remove it without any advice first. I'm not sure who the manufacturer is, I just bought the house and it was built in 1953. Is this an easy fix? I'm going through the house 1 room at a time, and the bathroom is going to happen a month or 2 from now, but I need to fix this as soon as I can.

Thanks, Pete
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 16, 2009, 05:26 AM
    Hey Pete, Easy fix!
    The drain plug on my tub doesn't work. It is connected to the trip lever - when I move the drain plug up or down the trip lever moves - but it will not stay in the up position by itself. The trip lever seems loose,
    The reason the trip lever feels loose and the plunger won't stay up is because the spring behind the trip levers broke. Simply purchase a chrome trip lever plate,(see image) attach the linkage and plunger, (see image) to the trip lever plate and your problem's solved. Ain't plumbing fun? Any more plumbing questions? Bring them on. We have plumbing experts from all over the nation just waiting to answer.
    Good luck in your new home, Tom
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 16, 2009, 09:47 AM

Can you post a photo of it ? If it is connected to drain plug than it could be Kohler overflow or others. We need to see the plug and the lever. Thanks. Milo

May 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
    Thanks for your info. I just got around to taking off the trip lever plate to check things out. Like speedball1 said, the spring is broken. The linkage is held together with cotter pins. I couldn't pull the plunger up by the linkage, and the stopper won't come out either. Could I remove the cotter pin on the linkage to put on a new spring, or should I just buy a hole new assembly? I do have an access panel from a closet, and it looks like I could access everything from there and the basement. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

Thanks again,
    Pete
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 17, 2009, 07:29 PM

Here is the problem: I would say buy new one - but you would have to buy EXACTLY the same model/type/brand. Otherwise, chances are slim it will work. Of course, you can replace entire overflow assembly, but I don't think you want to get into it. It is kind of difficult to do if you've never done it before...

Buy new spring and reinstall existing trim. See what it does...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 26, 2009, 04:49 AM
    HeyPete,
    The chrome trip lever face plate,(see image) is rather universal. They do make replacements. There's nothing holding the linkage and stopper.(see image) Put a little muscle into it. Once out you can attach the linkage to the face plate. Before reinstalling lube the stopper with Heavy grease such as Plumbers Heat Proof Grease. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

May 27, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Thanks, speedball1. I got a universal replacement, but the face plate was a little smaller than the original, so I just used the spring and nylon washers on my plate & linkage. I was afraid to pull to hard to pull it out because I didn't want to break anything else. I have enough work here without adding to it! The house was built in '53, and I think the tub is original, so I wasn't sure if the linkage would stand the strain or just fall apart. I'm sure you'll see me again soon, the bath and kitchen remodel are coming up in a month or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tried the plunger thing and it didn't work [ 3 Answers ]

my dual sink drains slow and when i wash dishes, i have to hold the stopper down in the wash sink when i am rinsing in the other one, because it bubbles up and knocks the stopper lose. when i use my garbage disposal it shoots groung food into the other side. i read where i should have a friend hole...

Plunger tub drain [ 9 Answers ]

I have a plunger tub drain. We have never been able to engage the drain because the lever is locked in the down (open) position. I purchased a new overflow/lever housing because I thought the spring may have been bad. I just went to install it and the lever still won't go up! Could there be a...

Shower Drain Plunger [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to remove a shower drain plunger that became disconnected and drooped down to where the water takes about 30 minutes to drain down

Tub plunger drain stuck [ 2 Answers ]

Tub drains slowly, forms regular clogs. Many Chemical solutions have already been wasted. :( Have removed overflow plate/plunger lever. Plunger linkage will not come out of pipe. Metallic sounding resistance is met inside the first inch of pull out. I have pulled very hard and gained no...

Plunger removal [ 1 Answers ]

Lavatory plunger removal

View more questions Search