Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Calmman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 05:22 PM
    Adding light kit to existing ceiling fan
    I just moved into a house built in 2004. I am attempting to install a basic ceiling fan light kit with a pull chain to the ceiling fan on the patio leading from the dining area.
    I have followed the below referenced five (5) steps exactly and cannot obtain any lighting from the new ceiling fan light kit. I tried two (2) different and brand new light kits without success. The ceiling fan was installed during 2004 into a brand new home. It does not appear that any ceiling fan light kit was previously attached to the fan. I have carefully checked for loose wire connections while attaching the light kit to the fan and also the connections within the wall switch box (two capped offed together white wires were observed). The ceiling fan powers on flawlessly from a wall switch and changes speeds with the fan's simple pull chain. There is a separate wall switch box adjacent to the wall switch box that operates the fan. I am not sure what the 2nd light switch box operates, but it is wired exactly the same as the light switch box that operates the fan. I am just mentioning this 2nd wall switch box so that all of the facts are the table, but truly feel that it is intended to operate some other electrical appliance. I say this because there is an exact duplicate ceiling fan (with operating light fixture) in the living room area. In this case, the 2nd wall switch operates completely separate recessed ceiling lights. The wiring hookups for all four wall switches mirrors each other exactly.

1. Remove the switch housing cover plate from the fan.

2. Remove the plug from the center of the cover plate.

3. Feed the light kit wires (black and white) through the holes in the cover plate and screw the plate tightly to the light kit to prevent it from vibrating loose.

4. Locate two wires within the switch housing labeled "for light" (white and blue). Connect them to the light kit wires with wire nuts—white to white and blue to black. Secure the connections with electrical tape to prevent the wire nuts from vibrating loose during operation.

5. Carefully push wires back into the switch housing, and attach the light kit to the switch housing with the provided screws.

Any suggestions to diagnosis my installation problem will be sincerely appreciated.
    Thank you.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 16, 2009, 07:24 PM

Remove or lower the fan canopy. That is the cover plate where the fan is attached to the ceiling. Note whether the blue fan wire is connected to the house wiring. Usual installation of a ceiling fan is to connect the black from the fan to the black (hot) of the house wiring. If the fan has a light kit you would also connect the blue light kit wire to the black (hot). Since the fan did not originally have a light kit the blue wire may not have been connected. Also observe the number of house wires and their color. Report back what you find so we can determine whether not the 2nd switch was intended to control the light.
    Attached Images

Calmman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 08:58 AM
    hkstroud-:)

Thank you very much for your answer. You were exactly correct. The Blue wire in the ceiling was not connected to the Black Wires. I had spent hours working on what should have been an easy project. Your on target solution took an additional (2) two minutes to implement. I sincerely appreciate your kindness.
    Sincerely,
    Calmman
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 08:18 PM

Glad you got it working :)

Ceiling fan wiring - Ceiling Fans N More

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a light kit to ceiling fan w/ light & dimmer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to add a light kit to a ceiling fan(cannot find a name on it) that is currently hooked and working up in our family room - since we moved in 6 years ago (house was built in 1991). I would like this to operate like our bedroom ceiling fan (which already has a light attached) and...

Adding insulation to existing cathedral ceiling [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a cathedral ceiling with R-19 insulation plus a radiant barrier draped over the rafters. I would like to upgrade this to R-30, but this is a finished house. The only way I can think of adding insulation would be to either tear down all the ceilings, or take off all the shingles...

Adding a new light with its own pull string to existing light and switch [ 8 Answers ]

Howdy. I have a 50 year old house where the bathroom light shares a common wall with the back of the master bedroom closet. I want to add a pull string light in the closet and tap the power off the bathroom light. The bathroom light is switched and the power comes first to the light and then...

Adding new light fixtures to existing switch [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to add 3 pendant lights to the same switch as a light in the room. The power source runs to the light first, then to the switch. I tapped into the wire from the switch to the light. I connected whites to whites, blacks to blacks, and grounds to grounds. Now the pre-existing light...

Adding lights to existing exterior light circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light fixture that is flush mounted in the ceiling of an exterior porch, I would like to add two more twin bulb floodlights switched by the existing switch if this is okay to do. If so can I run wiring from the current fixture through conduit along the undersides of the eaves, and if so...

View more questions Search