Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smithlee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Remove outside corroded faucet
    Hard water minerals have frozen shut off faucet. I have tried wd40, CRL can't seem to get it loose. Galvanized afraid I will break it.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 11:03 AM
    I use stuff called " PB Blaster", you can get it at an auto parts place. It penetrates, and frees up problems like this. It works wonders on rusted nuts and bolts too.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 03:25 PM
    When I'm faced with that problem I exchange my 14 inch pipe wrench for my 18 inch wrench. If the nipple comes out with the sillcock it can always be replaced when you install the new valve.. TIP: Replace the old nipple with a brass one to avoid corrosion. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 03:41 PM

You have good reason to worry about breaking off old galve threads, or turning joints further in the home. Is the line inside accesable? If it is, I would recommend having someone put a backup on the inside pipeing and then do as tom suggested, get a bigger wrench and break that puppy loose. Let us know how things work out.
    ovruigo Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

May 15, 2009, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    When I'm faced with that problem I exchange my 14 inch pipe wrench for my 18 inch wrench. If the nipple comes out with the sillcock it can always be replaced when you install the new valve.. TIP: Replace the old nipple with a brass one to avoid corrosion. Good luck, Tom
    Unless 1/2 inch was sweat directly into the faucet in lieu of using a female adapter to mate up to the male threads of the faucet.

Quote Originally Posted by ovruigo View Post
    Unless 1/2 inch was sweat directly into the faucet in lieu of using a female adapter to mate up to the male threads of the faucet.
    Playing devils advocate here. Not intended to step on anyone's toes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 15, 2009, 05:00 PM
    No problem,
    You're entirely correct but I figure the OP knows the difference between threads and a solder joint. Ovruigo, welcome to the Plumbing Page. Stick around and contribute. Regards, Tom
    ovruigo Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

May 16, 2009, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    No problem,
    You're entirely correct but I figure the OP knows the difference between threads and a solder joint. Ovruigo, welcome to the Plumbing Page. Stick around and contribute. Regards, Tom

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall pipe nipple for sink faucet short and corroded [ 5 Answers ]

I was replacing the kitchen wall faucet and got the old one off okay, but the pipe nipples are fairly well corroded and very little thread is remaining. I managed to get the new faucet on but there is a leak and I am afraid to over tighten. There isn't enough pipe showing from the tile wall to...

Remove shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to remove the faucet from my bathtub. The knob that you pull up so that the water comes out of the shower head broke. I have tried to unscrew the faucet and it won't come off it just turns and turns. HELP, PLEASE.

Remove faucet stem [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to repair a leaky faucet in my bathroom sink. I have removed the cap on the handle, removed the screw and pulled off the handle. I am unable to remove the stem. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is a Sayco faucet and could be 20 years old. Thank you.

Remove faucet head [ 4 Answers ]

I have a water faucet in my garage that I want to use to hook up an icemaker. How can I tell if the faucet head is sweated on to the pipe it is connected to or screwed on? I want to replace the faucet head with a shut off connection and run a plastic water line to the icemaker. ...

Remove Kohler faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single handle pull out spray Kohler faucet. Can anyone tell me how to remove it. Thank you in advance.

View more questions Search