Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mistery1 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Executing more than one program in vb.net
    Hi everybody,

I was wondering if anyone could help. I am trying to write code to execute more than one exe program. Eg, I have 5 programs to be installed on a computer, with a click of a button I want to execute the first installation and once that is done(Maybe have a messagebox staying done or complete) then execute the next one and so on.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 09:26 AM
    I've written installers that will install all of the programs in one fell swoop (you can do that by dragging the outputs from all of the files into the setup program in Visual Studio), but unfortunately I've never written one that would chain one to the other.

If writing an installer that would install all of the programs is of interest to you, I'll tell you more about it.
    Mistery1 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 11:10 PM
    Hi,

Yes, please. That would be lovely. Please tell me more about writing an installer
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 02:41 PM

In Visual Studio.net, you first create a solution containing all of the programs (separate projects) that you wish to include. I'll explain later how to do the same thing if you don't have the projects.

In Solution Explorer, right-click on the solution and select "Add" and "New Project". When the "Project types"" window appears, looki under "Setup and Deployment" and under "Templates:" select "Setup Project". Give your setup project a name and click "OK".

Click on the Setup project you just created. As is common in Visual Studio, there are many different ways to do things. Mine is just one. Right-click on the project and select "View" | "File System". A window should appear in the main area. Open the Application Folder. Right-click on the work area and select ". A window should appear in the main area. Open the Application Folder. Right-click on the work area and select " | "Project Output" | "Primary output". The project's output files will be added to the application folder.

Continue adding projects until all of the projects are added. You can compile the application (you may have to make sure the Setup project is selected in Project Manager) and install/uninstall it from VS (for testing purposes). You can also add specific files as you would if you don't have the source code for the executables. If you have COM objects (ActiveX), they can be configured to be automatically registered with Windows.

There are many options to this, as you might guess. Here are some links:

Step-by-Step Process of Creating a Setup and Deployment Project: ASP Alliance

How to create a Setup package by using Visual Studio .NET

Setup and Deployment Projects

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadF...pProjects.aspx

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2.5 program [ 2 Answers ]

I have to do a 2.5 program for 90 days.what does that require?

Which program is best? [ 14 Answers ]

I was just wondering which program would be the best for burning cds or dvds. I have Roxio, CyberLink PowerDVD and of course windows media player. I have the disk for Roxio and have downloaded it myself, but the CyberLink came on my computer. Is is really necessary to keep the media...

Executing a will [ 1 Answers ]

Can the executor of your will reside in another state?

Executing Perl program [ 1 Answers ]

When I run the program I get this error message:" Can not locate strict.pm in Cinc contains: .> at C:\perl\Installer.bat line 45 Begin failed--compilation aborted at C:\Perl\Installer.bat line 45" I need help

View more questions Search