Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevergmaki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 06:57 AM
    Prescription fraud
    Is it illegal/ fraudulent to obtain a prescrition for allergy medicine and then cut the dose in half and give it to your child to avoid a second Dr. visit and prescrition cost?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 15, 2009, 07:01 AM
    Yes it is. If the prescription is for you, it is a felony to give it to anyone else.

Pediatric doses are based on weight. You then have to calculate weight, milligrams and number of times per day. You could easily be overdosing your child even by cutting them in half.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Hello steve:

Not only is it ILLEGAL, it's STUPID too. You are putting your child at RISK, and you could KILL them. Don't do that!!

As a parent, you SHOULDN'T avoid taking care of your child because it costs money. You should take care of your child and find the money.

excon
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Quote Originally Posted by stevergmaki View Post
    Is it illegal/ fraudulent to obtain a prescrition for allergy medicine and then cut the dose in half and give it to your child to avoid a second Dr. visit and prescrition cost?
    Think about it. Is it fraudulent to go to the doctor and tell him/her that YOU need medicine then give it to someone else? This is really a no brainer.
    stevergmaki Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Yes it is. If the prescription is for you, it is a felony to give it to anyone else.

Pediatric doses are based on weight. You then have to calculate weight, milligrams and number of times per day. You could easily be overdosing your child even by cutting them in half.
    Don't worry - it's not me. My ex-wife was trying to explain how many times she "purchased" a script, then told me how come certain numbers didn't add up. Her excuse was the above. I just wanted opinions to weigh in on this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 08:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevergmaki View Post
    Don't worry - it's not me. My ex-wife was trying to explain how many times she "purchased" a script, then told me how come certain numbers didn't add up. Her excuse was the above. I just wanted opinions to weigh in on this.
    Hello again, steve:

Get in your car and go to the nearest Child Protective Service agency in your town to report your ex. The NEXT stop should be the courthouse where you file for FULL custody.

THAT is my opinion!

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 09:48 AM

Your exwife is really wanting to get rid of that kid permanently doing something stupid like that. The child may not be old enough to even take whatever prescribed medicine she's using on the child. Your child is definitely at risk. Report her behind and have her face the consequences! If the child "accidently" dies while she is doing this "practice of halving" the rx, she's still going to jail for murder. There is no defense for what she is doing. Stupidity is definitely not a defense in this case. Wake up dad before you don't have a child to worry about anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Old Prescription [ 2 Answers ]

I have medication, I do not know if it matters what kind but it is cyclobenzaprine, which is a muscle relaxer. How long is the pills good for? I will defiantly double check with my pharmacist, but would like to know if anybody here as any idea. The script I got was in July/08. I pretty much...

New prescription [ 7 Answers ]

Is it possiable my script to change this much over 2 years Old one Sph cly axis Od +100 -100 110 Os -100 -50 75 New one Od +75 +100 25

Prescription insurance fraud [ 3 Answers ]

A drug is available in 8 mg and 16 mg sizes, and the 16 is scored for cutting in half. The price for 90 day supply for the 8mg is $154.84 and for the 16mg is $154.97, or only $.13 more. If you need to take 8mg daily, and order the 16mg and cut them in half, you effectively cut your costs in...

View more questions Search