Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DocFisher Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Testing for Alage
    I would like to know if there is a way to test for algae in a freshwater tank. Along with this, if you have an algea eater or 2 in the tank will that help with keeping the nitrites and nitrates lev low also.

Thanks
    Xyzpdq0121 Posts: 85, Reputation: 6

May 14, 2009, 09:28 PM

No an algae eater will INCREASE the NO2 and NO3 in the tank. Algae eats those things (as well as PO4)... So if you are having a lot of algae if is due to your high levels in this area. If you remove the algae, you will make the other problem worse until you find the source of that problem and correct it.
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 14, 2009, 11:56 PM

Alge problems can be caused by too much light. Keep your tank out of direct sunlight and if you have a light in the hood of the tank, don't keep it on all day. However if you did indeed have an alge problem, you would know. Your water would appear murky and green, much like river or lake water.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 17, 2009, 05:17 AM

My old tank used to have a major algae problem... We bought cleaning magnets and bought a few sucking catfish, they cleared the algae in about a week, hungry little beggars...

These are the magnets... they have a sort of course fabric on the inside, one side goes on the inside of the tank and you put the other on the outside... no getting your fingers wet and covered in algae... yuk

And this is a sucking catfish... best little bottom feeder there is :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

EtG testing [ 8 Answers ]

If I drink tonight Thursday 1/22 and the court decides to send it out for EtG on Monday 1/26 will I pass?

Testing 123 [ 1 Answers ]

http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0108en1.jpg

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

HPT testing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I just want to know what this means. Me and my hub have been trying for a baby, this time I was 4 days late for my period but it started very very light on the 5 day which if I did not get it I have have missed my period, I did end up getting one for 3 days and then it stopped, I took a...

Dna testing [ 4 Answers ]

This girl which is married had a kid 2 to 3 months after she got married but it's not mind ( the husband) can she get a court order to force the alleged father to take a DNA test

View more questions Search