Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CINDY LEWIS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 07:05 PM
    My toilet tank is not filling
    My toilet tank is not filling.Any ideas to help would be great
    superk Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

May 14, 2009, 07:14 PM

Open the tank and check the black rubber that stops the water. It's the one that will be lift when you're flushing the toilet. See if it needs to be replaced. It might be torn.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 07:15 PM

If the fill valve in your commode is grey with a blackfloat, more than likely you are going to need to take it apart and replace a small diaphragm that is up in the top, very inexpensive.

Turn off the water valve that is under the tank of the commode, flush the commode to make sure that the water is off, It is going to be hard to tell since your tank will not fill, so be very careful taking the top off.
    You take the top off by holding up the float arm and turning the top counter clock wise. You should not see the diaphragm, it has a small hole in the center of it. You can buy these at most hardware stores.

Put the top back on in reverse of how you took it off.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 07:28 PM

Just a couple questions. Is water coming into tank, but tank doesn't fill? Or is there no water coming into tank at all? Please let us know.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

May 14, 2009, 07:43 PM

Ensure the shutoff valve (beneath the left side of the tank) is fully open. That line connects to the fill valve which is the likely culprit. Repair or replace it according to your mechanical abilities. If the fill valve is supplying water, the flapper valve might be open or defective allowing the water in the tank to constantly flow into the bowl. This would be visible as a constant swirling of the water in the bowl.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2009, 08:16 PM

Does your ballcock look lke this? Troubleshooting a Fluidmaster Ballcock

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank not filling [ 3 Answers ]

Got a mystery here: I just moved into a new house and the toilet tank in the 2 piece bath on the main floor is suddenly not filling. I unscrewed the feed line into the tank and tested to see if there is water flowing through it and there isn't. The sink taps both work fine - just no water into...

Toilet tank stubborn about filling [ 3 Answers ]

It's inconsistent. Sometimes everything is fine, sometimes after a flush the tank doesn't refill at all at first, then after a few minutes starts to refill slowly, Sometimes the bowl refills with plenty of water, sometimes just a little. It's not leaking or running. Is this a fill valve issue,...

Toilet tank not filling with water [ 5 Answers ]

Our toilet just decided to stop filling up with water. It eventually does fill up but the water is not "spurting" out of the tube, actually it's just dribbling... do I need to replace something or is this a job for a plumber... hopefully it's an easy fix and I'm hoping someone can help me... Thank...

Slow filling toilet tank [ 12 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet it takes at least 15 minutes to fill back up. The toilet in my other bathroom fills in about 3 minutes. Any advice?

View more questions Search