Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KenLoh Posts: 55, Reputation: 2

May 15, 2009, 06:28 PM

Here are some pics of the Air Handler. 1st pic shows the whole layout, just in case you need to point out any particular parts. 2nd pic shows the terminals I tested with the multi-meter. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 7-8 all showed 110V. The small panel on the far right, with those wires similar to the thermostat's, show NO power. I tested both inside and outside rows - Zero V. Is this the wire that leads to the thermostat?

Which one is the transformer? The beige color part directly on the left of the row of thin 24V wires... there is a small "switch" or so it looks like, I tried it but it doesn't seem like it switches anything. Perhaps it's just a release to remove the beige plastic casing? There's a closeup pic of it in the 3rd pic.

Thanks for the help.

May 15, 2009, 06:32 PM

OOOPS! I accidentally made a repost somehow. Can a moderator please remove the above post to avoid confusion?

Sorry, and Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 06:37 PM

This thing is a fuse:

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/2072/fuse.gif

This is a DPDT relay. http://www.techitoutuk.com/knowledge.../relaydpdt.gif The object you labeled.

Who knows what it's function is, but two terminals, like the ones nearest to RL1 in the picture are the coil. When you apply power to the coil, the common contacts move from the unpowered state (Normally closed) to the powered state (Normally open).

Right now, that device is out of the picture.

You need to concentrate on locating the thermostat wires and following particularly the red one.

May 15, 2009, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Right now, that device is out of the picture.

You need to concentrate on locating the thermostat wires and following particularly the red one.
    So, the condenser is out.
    Now you are saying the Relay is out.
    You think there is something wrong with the wire running from the transformer to the thermostat?
    What about the transformer? How should I test that now, without being able to activate the Relay/contacts?
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 06:54 PM
    The thing you labeled as a "switch "can be either a switch, fuseholder or breaker. I think it's one of the latter two.

Now that I can clearly see the laminations (stacked pieces of grey/black metal), the white section is attached to the transformer. Because your "switch" is enclosed in the plastic case, it is likely on the primary side of the transformer. This isn't guaranteed.

Note, it has markings like 24 VAC and probably sec. or secondary. And 120 VAC pri. Or primary.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 07:02 PM
    Look at how mechanically sound, the tin read and the thin blue connections are.

There is green, brown and black wrapped around the thermostat brown jacket. Look at that cable. Follow the red and blue wires. Remove the wirenut, but not the connection to the red wire. Measure between the red and blue in that cable.

Green is normally used for the fan, but it seems unconnected. I'm assuming blue goes to the C wire of the thermostat.

May 15, 2009, 07:23 PM
    Look at how mechanically sound, the tin read and the thin blue connections are.

There is green, brown and black wrapped around the thermostat brown jacket. Look at that cable. Follow the red and blue wires. Remove the wirenut, but not the connection to the red wire. Measure between the red and blue in that cable.

Green is normally used for the fan, but it seems unconnected. I'm assuming blue goes to the C wire of the thermostat.
    I looked at the wires, they all look good, and secured. However, I can't run it's length to the wall thermostat, it's behind walls! When I test them on the meter, there is no power to any of the 24V wires.

Yes, Blue is on C at the thermostat end. NO power at that end either. I also did connect Red and Green, no response to fan.

Hang on... I opened the beige box in the transformer and took some pics, looks like a fuse. BRB...

May 15, 2009, 07:40 PM
    Here are pics of that beige plastic cover removed from the transformer. It looks like a fuse, I can't open that black casing up, didn't want to try too hard and break the solder on those wires. I did a connectivity test on the meter on F1 and F2 and it was positive, needle went all the way to the right of the scale. (Sorry, not sure how to read the units for this test, told you I'm an amateur! :D). Anyway, so does that mean the fuse is good?

Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
    Yep, circuit breaker: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/prod.../mf-PB/w28.pdf

The 32 V and the lines mean 32 VDC so it's on the low voltage side.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Measure the voltage across the terminals F1 and F2?

May 15, 2009, 09:31 PM
    Yep, circuit breaker: http://www.onlinecomponents.com/prod.../mf-PB/w28.pdf

The 32 V and the lines mean 32 VDC so it's on the low voltage side.
    So, is this circuit breaker good and can be put out of the picture here? Did I test it correctly to determine that it's good, if not, how should I test it?

Can I assume that the problem lies somewhere between this circuit breaker and the row of 24V terminals R. W. G. C ?
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
    OK. The red coil of the thick wire should be the low voltage winding. If you can find the two ends, you should have 24 VAC there at all times.

That should be white braid to blue. (24 VAC)

Now look at Blue to white braid + CB + Yellow.
    ... (C)... (#1)... (#2)

What is C to #1?
    What is C to #2

What is the voltage across F1 and F2?

Circuit breaker may still be in the picture, may not. The above tests will help.

May 15, 2009, 09:38 PM
    Measure the voltage across the terminals F1 and F2?
    No I did not, when I had that opened up, I didn't turn on the power.
    I just did the connectivity test to see if the fuse was good.
    Should I? I can do it if it will prove something to help with the troubleshoot.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 09:46 PM

Yep, do these with the power on:

Refer to post #32.

What is voltage from C to #1?
    What is voltage from C to #2

May 15, 2009, 09:48 PM
    OK. The red coil of the thick wire should be the low voltage winding. If you can find the two ends, you should have 24 VAC there at all times.

That should be white braid to blue. (24 VAC)

.....................(C)..............(#1)........ ..........(#2)

What is C to #1?
    What is C to #2

Circuit breaker may still be in the picture, may not. The above tests will help.
    Pardon my dumbness... I'm trying to understand your instructions. I'm completely lost.

What do you mean by "red coil of the thick wire"?
    What is "white braid to blue"
    What is "Blue to white braid + CB + Yellow"
    What is "C to #1"
    What is "C to #2"
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 10:01 PM

Here is the post:

That should be white braid to blue. (24 VAC) I can see these wires with the coil in the middle

This was my way of drawing a circuit. There is a blue that connects to a red coil and then a white braided wire and then to a circuit breaker and then to a yellow wire. The terminals are paths along it's way

... (C)... (#1).. . (#2)

What is voltage fromC to #1?
    What is the voltage fromC to #2

I added the italics.

Point C is the blue wire. Point #1 is the white braid and point #2 is the yellow wire.

Circuit goes like Blue (C) to transformer to a (#1) white braded wire to a circuit breaker to a (#3) yellow wire.

May 15, 2009, 10:08 PM

Ok, I think I got you now. The red coil is the Actual Coil (literally) inside the opened white fuse cover, right? So you want me to measure across that short braided white wire, blue wire, yellow wire, etc... right?
    Which are you referring to as #1 and #2?

I'm going out to do what I understand right now, and will be back with some numbers.

May 15, 2009, 10:30 PM

Here you go:

Blue - Braided White - 26V
    Blue - Yellow - 26V
    Yellow - Braided White - Nothing

I also tested the row of R. W. G. C terminals...
    R-C, R-G, R-W... they all showed the same 26V

May 16, 2009, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KenLoh View Post
    Here you go:

Blue - Braided White - 26V
    Blue - Yellow - 26V
    Yellow - Braided White - Nothing

I also tested the row of R. W. G. C terminals...
    R-C, R-G, R-W....they all showed the same 26V
    Refer to pics below for a clearer description. Hope I understood you correctly, KeepItSimpleStupid. So, are we there yet? What's the verdict? Wife wants me to call someone in tomorrow, but I've come this far... really don't want to give up at this point. The pressure is on, as Saturday is the last work day, won't be able to get any parts or anyone in on Sunday. And it's getting uncomfortably warm in the house!

Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 07:23 AM

Do you get power on both lines after you reset the trip out switch?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No power to thermostat [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I was trying to replace my old stat with a new programmble one. I had turned off the furnace before installing new one. But the new one didn't work and so, I put the old one back on. But the old one does not power now and display on the old stat does not come up. Can any one help me here...

No power to Thermostat [ 11 Answers ]

I have no power to my ac/heat digital stat, Ive replaced breakers and unit fuses, power noted to unit at fuses.. not sure what to test next... this happened after night of storms

Getting power to my thermostat [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up a new furnace, and I am having trouble getting power to the thermostat, any help would be greatly app.

No power out to my thermostat [ 10 Answers ]

Hi Can anyone help I replaced a thermostat (ruud) because the power was always on The fan kept blowing even when the unit have been turn to the off position and the fan was on the auto position Now nothing comes on I checked the trasformer where it has 120 coming in but no power coming out...

No power on thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Help!! This morning we woke up to a freezing second floor. It is on a second unit, and when I went upstairs, the thermostat has no reading at all... no power. I checked the breaker and all was fine there. Is there an exterior switch on the unit that could need to be powered up?

View more questions Search