Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eclypsica Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 05:01 PM
    Husband lost job, had to move and break lease
    Signed a lease for a house in Las Vegas, NV
    Dec 23,2008. My husband lost his job in Feb,had no job prospects or income we
    Knew we could no longer afford to stay in that house. He found an OK job in Az
    So we moved, we talked to the management company right away and told them the
    Situation. When we knew we were moving we gave notice March 29,2009 and paid
    April rent and turned keys over April 3 , I asked what happens now they said we will
    Send a letter.

I emailed for updates and status on the house, thinking for some reason they
    Were going to rerent it. We are barely making ends meet at
    This point. May 8 I finally got notice they are charging me rent to the end of the lease Dec 2009
    Which totals 8400 and want that payment now. I explained we didn't have it
    And could we find someone else to rent and the reply is you signed a contract
    Not our problem he lost his job. I am trying to work with them because really it
    Makes no sense for the house to sit empty and them to come after me when there
    Is no money for them to get. This is a losing situation for both parties.

It does state in the lease Premature termination of the lease does not release
    Lessee of financial obligation to pay until the lease expiration OR the property
    Is re-rented, whichever is first. What if anything can I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2009, 05:07 PM

First, they are required to mitigate your damages by making a good faith effort to re-rent the property. So they cannot demand that you pay the balance in a lump sum.

If you know anyone in the area see if you can find any evidence of them trying to re-rent.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to break a lease in NJ as I lost my job [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I got laid off from my company last week. I live in Parsippany, NJ and have another 5months on my lease. I am on a H1B visa and the law is that I have to the leave the country within 30 days of my last pay check. So I am leaving the country in the next 30 days. What are my options...

Have to break lease to move to new house [ 5 Answers ]

Now in order to break my rental lease I have to pay an extras moths rent but someone told me that by law I can brake it without paying if it is for the purchase of a home now is this true and if so where can I find this law

Government employee trying to break lease do to move to another state. [ 3 Answers ]

I am paying rent in two states at this time, Texas and Georgia. Our rental property in Texas is the one we want to get out of. I do not want to break the lease if it will hurt us in anyway, but several people I work with say there is something in the law that states that military and government...

Need to break my lease to move to a bigger place [ 9 Answers ]

How can I break my lease without any hard feelings or adversity. I have paid six months in advance plus security and last month and am willing to lost last month and security. My daughter moved in with me and the place is just not big enough for all of us plus she has medical conditions that make...

NJ - Lease Break before Move In [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I signed 1 year lease for an apartment unit on March 10, 2007. I was suppose to move in on April 1st, but I sent a lease break notice on March 20, 2007 as my work location was changed. I have paid for April rent and looks like the until will not be rented for few months. I requested the...

View more questions Search