Ask
    brett1trout Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Eletrical, outlets
    How many outlets can you run on a single 20 amp breaker
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 04:20 PM

brett1trout- you need to check with your elect co. to make sure. Every local has its own codes; but where I am its eight to tengood luck and GOD BLESS F.B.E,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 14, 2009, 04:58 PM

I don't recall any code limitations on the number of receptacles on a single breaker. Your electric company will not be of much help but your local building inspector will help. Some cities have picky codes but I think the international code is mute on this point. Maybe Tk can stop by and help confirm of deny this.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 14, 2009, 07:01 PM
    For a residential setting, which I assume this is, there is NO limit to number of receptacle on a circuit. This is of course unless there is a local amendment, which some places do have.

I agree, your power company has nothing to do with this. Your local building dept will direct you to the proper place to get the correct information. Most times it is the NEC or state code.
    bones252100 Posts: 253, Reputation: 29

May 14, 2009, 08:07 PM

The scientific answer is an infinite # of breakers (ignoring line losses). The more appropriate question is how much load will be attached to these receptacles.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 14, 2009, 09:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    For a residential setting, which I assume this is, there is NO limit to number of receptacle on a circuit. This is of course unless there is a local amendment, which some places do have.

I agree, your power company has nothing to do with this. Your local building dept will direct you to the proper place to get the correct information. Most times it is the NEC or state code.
    Exactly!

To add: A 20Amp circuit will provide up to 2.4kva [or 2400 watts].

Formula: P=I(E)
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 15, 2009, 01:38 AM
    The NEC does not specify a maximum number of receptacles on a residential branch circuit.

Article 210 specifies how many circuits are required,(kitchen, laundry, special appliance, general purpose, etc.) and the minimum number of receptacles that must be installed, and their placement. (usually every 12 feet along the wall, at least one on every wall, countertop spacing, etc.

If you follow the instructions, it usually all comes out in the wash.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 15, 2009, 04:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohb0b View Post
    Article 210 specifies how many circuits are required,(kitchen, laundry, special appliance, general purpose, etc.) and the minimum number of receptacles that must be installed, and their placement. (usually every 12 feet along the wall, at least one on every wall, countertop spacing, etc.

If you follow the instructions, it usually all comes out in the wash.
    While this is true, the NEC minimum for circuits is kind of a joke.
    I don't think I could ever wire a house to absolute bare code minimum. I would feel right about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

94 Honda Accord Eletrical Probs [ 1 Answers ]

94 HONDA ACCORD EX VTECH SEDAN 5speed>>>After I replaced my starter, some electrical prblms started up. While driving you would hear a clicking noise in the passanger side of the dash, the radio and the rear defroster would go out durng the clicking. Then it progressed into sometimes it wouldn't...

Rules regarding Eletrical panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone I have just joined this group. Thank you in advance for your time in reading this. My husband and I are now renovating our basement and would like to make a laundry room/ bathroom to help with the kids growing up and needing more space. But we are continually getting mix info regarding...

Eletrical and lighting [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay track light I took from my previous home and I want to install it above my sink in the kitchen of my new home. The track the lights slide into is too long to fit in the area. Can you cut the track to shorten it or are the electrical units inside this unit?

Eletrical outlet [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a problem. My problem is that my TV, dvd, and surround sound all hooked up to one outlet in the living room. All of them shut on and off at the same time. I checked the breaker and it is not tripped. I changed the TV, dvd, and surround sound to a differ outlets and the problem still...

Faulty eletrical work [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had some electrical wall outlets installed in my home but since the install my TV,my stereo and my theatere system has stop working could these new outlets be the problem

View more questions Search