Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MPIfounder Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Requesting analysis of video taken
    Hello my name is Adam, and I am the founder of Midwest Paranormal Investigations. During an investigation we had conducted on May 11th 2008 in Alton, IL where we captured something on video that we are unable to identify. The video was captured on an infrared night vision camera, and at the time nobody was in the location. When I was reviewing the footage I had notice a small ball of light the moves around the room for about three minutes, and I am at a loss for an explanation at this time. The only logical cause that we can come up with would be that an insect was in the room, and the reflection from the IR lighting is what caused it to be seen. I have done numerous investigations, and have captured many flying insects on camera, and video, but this did not seem to have the same characteristics of normal insect flight.

I am hoping that you, or if someone in your department would be able to view this video, and provide an educated opinion on what was captured. I currently have the video posted on YouTube, but unfortunately the quality did suffer a little in that transfer, but still have the original recording on our hard drive. You can view the clip at :YouTube - WHAT IS THIS? WE WANT YOUR OPINION! . The "orb" of light can be seen from about 42 seconds in (starts on the ceiling), and can be seen moving around the room until the clip ends. Any help you may be able to give would be greatly appreciated, and I can also understand if you are unable to review it yourself. If you know of anyone who would be able to view it, in the event you are unable, please let me know, or forward this to them. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask, and thank you very much for your time!

Adam

MPI founder
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 14, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Sorry, Adam,

That looks like a spider spinning a web. First the anchor lines across the room, then it starts weaving the catch lines.

May 14, 2009, 03:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Sorry, Adam,

That looks like a spider spinning a web. First the anchor lines across the room, then it starts weaving the catch lines.
    How would you explain the change of distance/depth that the spider travels? At one point the spider is in front of the boxes nearest to the camera ( 3 feet away from camera ), and then travels behind a box that is 15 feet away from the camera. For it to have been a spider it would need to be spinning the web on the camera itself, but if that is the case then distance would not be able to happen. There was no webbing on the camera when we picked it up at the end of the night, and I know the place is a bit messy, but there are no spider webs there that are as large as it would need to be to explain the distance. If it is an insect I think it has be to a flying one, but we have shown the video to an entomologist who could not come up with any insect that would display the flight characteristics that we captured. We even the next weekend collected any insect we could collect inside and out, and released them one at a time to see if any were similar to what we captured, but nothing matched up. Thanks for the comment!
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

May 15, 2009, 02:47 AM
    Now I see what the military guys mean when they say the night vision equipment messes up depth perception. It looked like there was only about 3 feet of depth traversed. I'm at a loss, sorry.

May 15, 2009, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Now I see what the military guys mean when they say the night vision equipment messes up depth perception. It looked like there was only about 3 feet of depth traversed. I'm at a loss, sorry.
    No problem! If it didn't travel behind a box that we know was 15 feet away from the camera then I would agree with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Requesting a new judge [ 12 Answers ]

How can a plaintiff request a new judge when she feels as though the judge is repeatedly swaying the other way. She is a single mother, has two jobs, and is in college. She came to me for advice. Tuesday was her court day. The father failed FOUR drug analysis tests and had owed her over $2500...

Why does my Sondy DVD/Video player only play sound when playing video tapes? [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Sony DVD/Video player. This is hooked up to a Vizio TV. Our TV is hooked up to Direct TV satellite dish. When I play a DVD it works fine, sound and picture. When I switch it to Video, I only get sound. There are 5 cable lines hooked up to the back of the DVD/Video player. On one...

Requesting repairs [ 3 Answers ]

I have been renting a townhouse for 3 years. My Air conditioner broke in mid April I attempted to contact my out of state landlord, asking it please be repaired or That I was willing to have it fixed and deduct the amount from the upcoming MAy rent. This was sent in a form of email, She contacted...

Helpdesk requesting [ 6 Answers ]

A user emails the helpdesk requesting access to shared drive \\mnthyreportsclinic. This shared drive does not exist, however a shared drive \\monthlyreports does exist. Email the user requesting clarification.

View more questions Search