Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    needanans Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 01:48 PM
    gift tax return for previous year
    Hi,
    I had given a gift to my mother in 2007 for which I had not submitted a gift tax return (the gift value exceeded the limit of 12k for tax year 2007). Can I submit the gift tax return for 2007 now? If so, what form do I use?

Thank you very much.
    -PuzzledByTaxes
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 17, 2009, 10:50 AM

Are you married? If so, your spouse can be deemed to have contributed to this gift also for an additional 12,000.

Unless this gift was over a million dollars there will be no immediate tax consequences.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 18, 2009, 01:20 PM
    And, yes, you CAN file the gift tax return late.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 19, 2009, 12:34 AM

File Form 709: United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return

All gifts of more than annual exclusion amount ($12000 for 2007) must be reported by the donor. There is a lifetime exclusion of $1 million. A person making a gift in excess of $12K must include the gift in the lifetime exclusion and file Form 709 to document the gift. This exclusion will reduce your Estate Tax exclusion amount.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to return a gift [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, my duaghter was given a car for her birthday by a friend. After three year they end the relation now he wants the car back.The car is registerd in his company's name what to do

How to claim K-1 from previous year? [ 2 Answers ]

I have some loss from K-1 form from previsou year. Not much.. few hundred dollars.. I used turbo tax to enter the numbers but I get LESS than actual loss from the K-1. First, how do I claim loss from previous year of K-1 form? Second, what is the better way to maximize refund? Thank you.

Previous year taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't filed Detroit city taxes in the last 5 years, even though I am due a refund every year. (STupid). How do I file them now?

Moving Expenses for Previous Year [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from India working in US on H1 B visa. My wife moved from India to US as dependent in 2005. I recently found that I could have deducted my wife's travel expenses under moving during my federal tax filing. I'd like to know if there is any chance to file an...

Filing for the previous year. [ 1 Answers ]

I didn't file for last year because I didn't work much, so this year I filed on line and input 2 accounts with my tax info. I made an account for '06 and one for '05. My '05 never went through but my '06 did?? Could it be because that site was only for '06? What do I do now?

View more questions Search