Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BantamTJ Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2009, 11:06 AM
    Wiring an illuminated rocker switch
    Hi,
    I'd like to wire an illuminated rocker switch as an "on-off" switch for my AT power supply. The original switch had 4 wires to it, white, blue, brown, black. I had to bypass the old switch by looping the 4 wires in pairs, ergo,. hooked white to blue, then brown to black in order for the power supply to come on. Works fine that way, I just have to plug & unplug every time I want to use it. I now have an illuminated rocker switch that I'd like to hook up, I'm a bit confused as to how to do this, this new switch has 3 tangs or spads on it, can you tell me how to wire this to the previously mentioned 4 wires that are are tied together as white/blue & brown/black :confused:
    Thanks,
    Tim
    Here's the switch I have SPST Lighted Rocker Switch - RadioShack.com
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BantamTJ View Post
    can you tell me how to wire this to the previously mentioned 4 wires that are are tied together as white/blue & brown/black
    Nope, because to replace the original switch as originally designed, a DPST switch (rated for at least 10 amps @ 125V AC) is needed instead of a SPST switch. Searching Radio Shack's website did not turn up an illuminated DPST. Check with an electronics supplier such as Digikey or Jameco. Or, do a Google search for an illuminated DPST switch as there are some nice looking switches out there.

Also see AT Power Switch.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 01:20 PM

The Computer Power switch interrupts the Neutral, Needlessly, I feel.
    I would tie these 2(blue and white) together and a white pigtail from there(this will be the switches neutral),
    Then connect Brown to the line side, and the black to the load side.

May 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies, still a tad confused, but then again electrical endeavors aren't really my forte'
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 03:51 PM

Ahhh terminology:

Your computer comes with a universal power cord with probably a universal power supply. Meaning, it operates from about 85 to 285 volts AC. In the US we use a 240 system that is really two 120 VAC supplies 180 degrees out phase. When they add, we obtain 240 VAC. That means that in order to remove power you have to cut power on both of the 120 legs.

Thus you can permanently connect the blue and white wires.

Connecting the blue and white with a switch will turn and off the computer.

You have to determine which side is LINE and LOAD. LINE is the color that goes to the wall. LOAD goes to the power supply.

Determine those colors and we are set.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 03:59 PM

Scleros link shows the colors and the connections for the switch, I would not switch the blue and white(neutral), I would switch the brown and black(the line or hots).
    Tie the blue and white together. Neutrals can stay together.

May 14, 2009, 08:58 PM

Great! Thanks you guy's. I appreciate it greatly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New 3 Way Switch Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I'm finishing my basement and after looking at dozens of 3 way switch diagrams online, I'm still confused. I've already run the wires and here's how I did it. I've got 6 recessed lights on 14/2 that come back to switch box 1. The power from the panel comes into switch box 1 as well. I then have...

Wiring a three and four way switch. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 fans in a screen room one fan in the bedroom.(these are ceiling fans). My 3 way switch in the den a 4 way switch in the dinning room and a 3 way switch in the bedroom. I have power to all the fans The fan in the bedroom is working the other fans are not but there's power going to them....

Wiring ceiling fan switch and light switch [ 1 Answers ]

I had to replace the flywheel on my Hunter ceiling fan and I had to remove the light kit that was attached. After I installed the flywheel, I forgot to mark the wires for re-connection. This is an older model fan. There are five wires coming from the fan motor--brown, blue, white, black and...

3-Way Light Switch Illuminated Toggle Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: Here's my dilemma. I have an outdoor flood light that is outside of the garage and has both a 3-way switch in the garage and in the house. Since I put in those windowless garage doors, I can't see whether the flood light is on or off, and many a night someone leaves the light on all night....

View more questions Search