Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariah1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Getting home
    Me and my husband have lived in TN for four years now.Back in late feb. of 2006 my husband went to TX (were we meet and lived till we moved here)for school and stayed with his mother not 2 months had gone bye and his mother in a drunk rage kicked him out of her house he had 2 weeks to complete a part of his school to get a cert. on the area they were in so he called a guy to see if he could stay there for 2 weeks and then come back home to TN were me and are 2 kids live .when he picked up this school mate he let him drive the car they were pulled over and charged with a misdemeanor drug charge.The problem is not the charge he went to court today 9-28-06 and was told before from his lawyer 1year of probation or more he could transfer it home to TN but today he was told he is facing 25 months probation (not transferable)or a year in jail and got a continuance until nov.17 of 06 he has 2 jobs here has not ever been in trouble in TN(or in the past 5 years) we have a bank account here are family is here are lives are here.I need help on what can be done do we have the right lawyer for this?is there something we can file or show we have resident here.We informed the lawyer of this and was gave a run around saying it will be fine we did not need papers from TN.so if anyone can help us please do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 11:31 AM
    The fact that he has residence in TN is not a factor. The crime was committed in TX. You can use the fact that he has a family and stability in TN to plead for a lighter sentence or transfer of probation. Sounds like his lawyer underestimated the ire of the prosecutor or judge.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Where you reside is irrelevant ; it's where the alleged offense occurred that's the issue. If the offense occurred in Texas then it comes under Texas' jurisdiction and is dealt with according to TX law. I would like to know why the mixed messages concerning the sentence (from1 year to 25 months and transferrable then not transferrable.) Is your husband still in TX? It sounds like your best bet would be to consult with a criminal attorney from TX and try to plea bargain it down to as minor a charge as possible. If it's as you say, a misdemeanor offense, a first offense for your husband then that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Perhaps a suspended jail sentence would be the most convenient arrangement, thereby allowing your husband to return ti TN promptly and get on with your lives.
    The WB Posts: 78, Reputation: 6

Oct 7, 2006, 10:43 PM
    This sounds like you need another lawyer. If you are using a public defender, remember that they work for the state. In my experience, they do not defend well. They are over worked.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home alone [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any laws in the state of Colorado as to how old a child needs to be to walk home from school and stay home alone for an hour or so before the parents come home from work?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

XP home or Pro? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between XP home and Pro?

View more questions Search