Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 01:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by galveston View Post
    It is such typical "liberal" thinking that wants to attach more importance to UN rules than to our US Constitution.
    Hello gal:

The United Nations Convention Against Torture is a treaty that your man Ronald Reagan signed in 1984. It wasn't just a nice liberal idea. It's a TREATY!

I don't know. ME? I guess you can call me a liberal because I want to stick to our treaties...

You conservatives don't want to?? That's trouble.

excon
    galveston Posts: 451, Reputation: 60

Jun 5, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello gal:

The United Nations Convention Against Torture is a treaty that your man Ronald Reagan signed in 1984. It wasn't just a nice liberal idea. It's a TREATY!

I dunno. ME?? I guess you can call me a liberal because I wanna stick to our treaties....

You conservatives don't wanna??? That's trouble.

excon
    I am adamantly opposed to ANY treaty taking precedence over the Constituton, no matter WHO signed it. Any treaty our pres signs should NOT destroy what he swore to uphold.

If not, then the Constitution can be made worthless by treaty.

Do you think that is a good thing to do?

Here you have been ranting about how you uphold the Constitution.

So NOW treaty is more important than Constitution?

I am not offering a legal opinion, just mine.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 01:57 PM
    So NOW treaty is more important than Constitution?
    Well a treaty is an understanding that involves several nations, the Constitution concerns only the US. They serve separate purposes.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    They serve separate purposes.
    Hello again, gal:

And, they don't conflict.

excon

Jun 6, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, gal:

And, they don't conflict.

excon
    Should you have added "yet"?

As long as they don't conflict, that's fine.

But what about if our pres signs a treaty promising some kind of welfare for foreign nations to be paid by the US taxpayer? Wouldn't that be a conflict?

Seems I remember Obama talking about something like that during the campaign.

Or some treaty allowing the UN to monitor our elections? Far fetched? Hopefully!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 12:43 PM
    But what about if our pres signs a treaty promising some kind of welfare for foreign nations to be paid by the US taxpayer?
    Actually that happens all the time, has been for decades, regardless of who is president.

Jun 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Actually that happens all the time, has been for decades, regardless of who is president.
    If you refer to foreign aid, that is something done by the US, not mandated by the UN or treaty.

If you are not talking about foreign aid, then you will have to explain what.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorMark View Post
    Again, OHCHR (then toture convention) which you refer to just says you can't torture but doesn't define when something is torture and when it is not. We used waterboarding to train our military to resist harsh interrogation tactics but it is not torture during the training period. The question became what exactly is torture and where to stop during questioning. This is the reason behind the memos so that they would comply with OHCHR Section 1. In addition to this, it clearly states that it doesn't apply to " pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions."

By applying your interpretation, serving a search warrant against somebody would violate this convention. It comes back to YOU being the one who gets to define what torture is because you don't like what was done.
    No, that's right. How could we forget... Its only torture when you do it for 40 seconds but not 39?

How silly. And Elliot we don't need your argument about how drinking is OK for 19 year olds but not 17 year olds. That's silly as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cheney is a SMART man [ 16 Answers ]

Hello: He looks to the past few years or so, and declares that what he did worked because we haven't been attacked again... But, look at Spain. After their subways were attacked in 2004, they WITHDREW from Iraq, and haven't been attacked again... Hmmm... So, does torturing prisoners...

Are Bush and Cheney above the Law? [ 5 Answers ]

Yesterday, Senator Patrick Leahy called Bush's refusal to release White House documents, "Nixonian stonewalling." Leahy added, "In America, no one is above law."1 When Bush refused to comply with Congressional subpoenas regarding the U.S. Attorneys firing scandal he was really flaunting his...

The 4th branch of government - Cheney! [ 13 Answers ]

Hello: THIS administration gets curiouser and curiouser... You got to give the guy an A for chutzpah. You know... I think he's been the pres all along... excon

Quiet but chatty member [ 26 Answers ]

Why am I so quiet?

View more questions Search