Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcw Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 10:46 PM
    Can't find tub spout that fits copper piping.
    Last resort was to come to this site. I've tried to speak to the "experts" at Lowe's and Home Depot but no luck. I purchased an universal tub spout with diverter at Lowe's. The universal tub spout is too small to fit the male copper piping. There's no threads at the end of the copper pipe as well. What size or exact tub spout am I look for? Thank you.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:28 PM

See the images below and one of them may be like yours, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 04:12 AM
    MCW:

Any universal SLIP FIT spout with diverter (#5 above in John's post) should work on this... However, there is a trick or two to make them fit easier... ;)

Here, you want to DEBUR the end of the copper pipe sticking out of the wall a bit using a file and then if needed use a little silicone grease to grease the pipe end a bit and then spin the spout back and forth until it slips onto the pipe. Once the spout hits the wall tighten the allen screw with an allen wrench and you should be all set.

Let us know if you have more questions...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 14, 2009, 05:33 AM
    If you do not deburr or bevel the end of the copper pipe it will catch on the "O" ring and push it out of its place resulting a leak out the back of the spout every time you draw a bath. Good luck, Tom

May 14, 2009, 04:32 PM

I'm not sure that I'm explaining myself properly. The problem is that the old tub spout's nipple extension is large enough to fit around the copper pipe. The new universal tub spout's nipple extension is too small. My middle finger can go into the opening of the old nipple extension but cannot fit into the new one. There's a visual difference between the two extensions as well. Any ideas? Help? Thank you.

May 14, 2009, 04:39 PM

Never mind. I called Fergusons and was told that I probably had a 3/4 inch extension not half-inch. I know it's not one inch. I'll go there tomorrow and special order the thing. Thank you for your help.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 05:23 PM
    3/4" extension or a 1/2" brass nipple is my guess..? Sorry... missed the MALE COPPER PIPING part in your post. Since you have threads on the end of the nipple you will need a spout like #1 or #3 in Afaroo's post.

That should finally resolve this for you.

Good luck!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
    [QUOTE=mcw;173387 The universal tub spout is too small to fit the male copper piping. There's no threads at the end of the copper pipe as well. .[/QUOTE]

This is mighty confusing. Do you have a threaded stub out, or just plain copper with no threads? If you could post a couple pics of your setup, we will try our best to help. Please let us know how things work out, or if you would like more help on this.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 08:43 PM

Mygirlsdad is correct, MCW please explaian is the pipe coming out of the wall 3/4" with threads at the end and what is the length of the pipe, Thanks.

Regards,
    John

May 14, 2009, 10:09 PM

The circumference of the pipe is 3/4 inch. There are no threads at the end of the pipe. I never measured the length of the copper pipe. I'm sorry for the confusion.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 03:40 AM
    Mcw... do you mean the DIAMETER is 3/4"??? Circumference of 3/4" copper tubing is 2 5/8"..so you must mean diameter....??

If no threads present then this sounds like a 3/4" copper tube (3/4" copper tubing is 7/8" diameter... and 1/2" copper tubing is 5/8" diameter) and you can either order a 3/4" slip on spout OR install a 3/4" x 1/2" sharkbite reducing coupling and a 1/2" sharkbite threaded (MALE) adapter (see picture)and then install these PUSH-FIT fittings (solderless fittings). You might also need a small piece of 1/2"" copper tubing (type L-sold in small pieces at home depot and lowes only). Then you could purchase the 1/2" threaded diverter spout (nose connection type #3 above) and install all this in about 5 minutes (you would also need a copper tubing cutter)... just another option anyway.

Or, if you can solder fittings on same as above, but use regular copper fittings.

Anyway, talk to the counter guys at ferguson... see what they can make up for you. They should be able to come up with something that will not require waiting or special ordering... ;) Be sure to know the length of the stub out before you go.

Good luck!

MARK
    Attached Images

May 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Thank you very much for the options. I'd just assume special order the spout as I'm busy with many other projects in this fixer-up home. I'll be back, I'm sure, with more questions. Thank you again.

Matthew
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 09:05 AM

Mark, I would not recommend Shark Bite fitting for this application as Shark Bit fitting will not hold tight allowing the spout to turn around...
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
    It was just a thought... a little caulk would hold the spout in place, but yeah.. not my first choice for him either!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

May 15, 2009, 03:19 PM

So they do make 3/4 slips spouts? Never seen one. Good to know they exist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to conect copper threaded tee to copper piping [ 14 Answers ]

I tried to install a copper threaded tee which connects 2 ends of copper piping and a line to dishwasher (plastic hose). Still a dripping leak at the joints.

Copper tub piping repair. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to avoid getting a plumber out to my home. My tub spout has never been flush against my wall. Finally, the chaulk gave way I noticed that the spout spun on the pipe freely. I removed the tub spout to take a look and discovered that not only was the spout in need of replacement, aged...

High toilet flange on copper piping. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, My sister recently bouth an apt building. Im in the middle of fixing and apt that was totally trashed and not taking care of. Its on old house that was sectioned off into 4 units, anyway.. The bathroom floor was totally rotten all the way to the floor joists. I ripped up the 4...

Copper piping pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I am not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question therefore if anyone can assist or direct me to the correct forum, I would appreciate it. My question is about running piping for an air compressor. I have a 135 PSI compressor and need to run pipe about 70 feet from the compressor. ...

Chasing copper piping [ 2 Answers ]

Can I sink copper pipes into brick walls, do they need protection.

View more questions Search