Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Financially Free Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:34 AM
    AT&T Judgment - NY
    I just received a letter in the mail that I owe AT&T $5,300.00 which was five years previous. Now I had relocated out of the State of New York for the past eight months and just returned. How much time would I have to dispute this judgment? Can they freeze my bank account or garnish my wages for this judgment. I also was not the one who ran up this bill. What should I do. I was never served papers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 08:39 AM
    You need to go to the court where the judgement was entered and get the details, then appeal the judgement. In the meantime, they can attach your bank account and/or garnish your wages.
    Financially Free Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Yes, I did. Thank you. Is there a time limit that I can appeal this judgment. I am in the state of NY.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Not sure about the time limit, the court clerk or your atty can advise.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:47 AM
    If you weren't the one who ran up the bill then why are you responsible? If the account is in your name, then you're responsible even if you personally didn't make the calls, etc. As for garnishments, etc. they can't do that until they've actually obtained a judgment against you in court. Unless the transactions charged against your account never happened, regardless of who actually did it, you're ultimately responsible for payment, Your best bet may be to try and negotiate a repayment deal with them, in exchange for them not taking legal action or reporting you as deliquent to credit bureaus, etc. then stick to it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 04:31 PM
    From your post it appears while you were not living in the state they got a judgement against you. They could have attached your bank account or garnished you pay even if you were not living in state. But yes they can if they already have the judgement.

After they have the judgement ( I believe they are good for 10 years there) * did not look it up but from memory.
    So you need to get with the person who made them and see if they will help you pay this off, but if your name is on the account and they were legally made you can be held responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can they get a judgment against me? [ 1 Answers ]

OK I'm on s.s disability got behind On credit card. Now I'm getting all Those calls. Can they put a judgment Against me. I own nothing

Judgment/Ch 13 [ 6 Answers ]

I have judgment for 1400 on credit report. This amount was discharged in BK13 but my atty failed to make a motion to have it dismissed when at my hearing and hence, it remains on on my credit report. To get it satisfied, I apparently need to pay 1400 plus atty fees and interest from 2000. One...

Judgment/Credit Report [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgment on my credit report for October of 2000. This judgment was satified within one month of getting it. The only credit agency that is still reporting it is Equifax the other 2 have deleted it completely from my report. This judgment was filed while I was part of a small corporation,...

Judgment and more don't know where to start [ 1 Answers ]

Well here is my story, looking for anybody with some advice Back in September of 2005 a collection company got a judgment against me (I never received any letters to come to court or anything). At that time they froze my bank account and in order for them to take off the lien they made me pay 1500...

Judgment by creditor [ 5 Answers ]

We have just sold our home. I have a judgment from Citibank (credit card), no lien on property, but title company has said this judgment must be cleared before we can close. Is this correct, even though it was not connected to our property?

View more questions Search