Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Moving2Fast Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Main Shut-Off Valve doesn't work!
    I was recently trying to replace the washer shut-off valve and went to close the nearby hot and cold water shut-off valves in the basement so that I could sweat the pipes. Every valve I tried turning off, water kept trickling through. I figured those would have to be repaired/replaced as well, so I went to turn off the main shut-off valve. Same problem. When I tried turning off the main shut-off valve, water would spray/drip from the valve itself as well. Since I can't sweat any other pipes in the house until I turn off water from the main valve, how to I fix the main valve? It is located located just under/before the water meter which is in my basement. I haven't seen any shut-off valves from the street. Thanks!

Laura
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2006, 10:03 AM
    Hi Laura,

By code the city is required to install a shut off valve just before the water meter. This is there inb case they have to repair/change out your mete they won't have to shut down the entire street. If it's not there request them to install one. Then fix/replace washers on all faulty shut offs before you attempt to solder. Regards, Tom

Sep 28, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Hi Tom,

As I mentioned in my first post, the shut off valve is already there, before the meter, however, both the meter and the valve are IN the basement. Do you think this is the water company's responsibily to replace or fix the shut-off valve?

THANKS!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Laura, Anything from the meter on back is the citys responsibility. It's their valve, they should repair it and make it so it's workable. Regards, tom
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Good.. I'm going to call the city about my valve. Its fine until you try to close it then it leaks a bit. I have a very rough basement so I don't mind so much, but hey, if its fixed then all the better.

I'll let you know my experience with this after it is done...

Knucklez

Mar 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
    ***UPDATE***

I called the city water company... apparently the valve is my responsibility even though it is located before the water meter.

I was speaking with someone from Home Depot and he suggested an idea... since I can slow the water down significantly after the main shut off valve when I open the water spigot just beyond it, I may be able to install a compression shut-off valve as a secondary main shut off. This will be a wet job, but is do-able, esp. compared to sweating a new shut-off valve. Does anyone have any opinions on using a compression valve as my main shut-off? I've never used this type of valve in the past and am unsure of its reliability.

Thanks!

Laura
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
    [grinz]
    If you try to hot repair this valve yourself I want to see the video.
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Mar 6, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Raincoat. Send me the video - YouTube grammys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Shut off valve not working! [ 34 Answers ]

Hi: I am trying to fix a leaky compression faucet. I have turned off the shut off valve for the cold water under the sink so the when the handle for the cold water of the compression faucet is turned, there is no water as expected. However, even if I turn off the shut off valve for the hot...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Shut off valve - 80 year old house [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question about shut off valves for plumbing on 80 year old home in Omaha. Does anyone have a ballpark idea of what plumber charges should be to replace shut off valve inside (basement) and outside at the street? The water company said to call a plumber as the valve at the street is...

Gas valve noise on main valve engagement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier 58gs100ga furnace with a white rodgers 36e93 gas valve. The main gas valve solenoid chatters or rattles for a split second before it stays engaged after the pilot is proved. I just replace the spark/lock out board and the fan board for a different problem. This chatter is...

View more questions Search