Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 05:59 PM
    How to dilute teak oil
    I have several pieces of furniture, inside and out that I oil every 2 weeks. Some call for teak oil. I cannot get it to not congeal in the spray bottle. It needs to be thinned down a little, so that while it sits for the 2 weeks that I'm not using it I don't have to completely clean out the nozzle.

I used to use orange oil and now I can't find that any where except for the stupid stuff at the grocers which isn't really orange oil. The orange oil never congealed.

Any suggestions about what I can put in a spray bottle for my furniture?
    Most important would be the outside furniture that I HAVE to spray. The indoor stuff I can deal with, although it is a hassel.:)
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 07:18 PM
    Oh, come on guys, I have 16 people coming for dinner on Saturday. Please throw any thing at me, I'll try it:D
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 11:16 PM

Hi, Just Dahlia!

First question that I have is, what kind of finish is already on your furniture, please?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Thank you Clough
    It is bare. The outdoor is a wood from Vietnam similar to teak (I forgot the name)
    The indoor is antique and bare just stain. I have been using orange oil on the inside for years. Teak oil on the outdoor. It's much simpler to spray.
    If you can suggest another spray oil, that would be great also.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I was sleeping.:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 03:45 PM

Hi again, Just Dahlia!

Do you wish for this furniture to be really well protected or to remain bare with oil finishes?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 04:10 PM
    It's been 15 years and I have never done anything else before, except the twice monthly oiling. Are you suggesting something else?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 19, 2009, 07:06 PM

Was it one of these woods: Hong Hua Li wood, Pterocarpus macrocarpus, Burma padauk, Giang Huong, Dalbergia Wood From Vietnam,
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2009, 09:37 PM
    I found the receipt from 1/27/08 with a phone number, but no name for the wood. I will call them tomorrow and find out. I just can't remember, the story was more interesting than the name.:)
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 02:30 PM
    I found it ballengerb1!
    I looked up Eden out door furniture.
    It is Keruing also known as Asian Mahogany. It's very pretty and requires little or no maintenance. I only have to oil it if it rains, and if I cover it during the raining season that means just once a year. Spray on wipe off. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does " Calcium Carbonate hardly reacts with dilute Sulphuric Acid " ? [ 11 Answers ]

I need a quick reply please. Thank you in advance.

How to remove mildew stains on teak furniture? [ 2 Answers ]

I apologize if this question should go in the furniture section but since this pertains to outdoor furniture, I hope it's okay here. After storing our teak furniture outdoors (under a cover) over the winter, we were horrified to find yesterday that there were mildew stains all over our table and...

Water stains on teak outdoor furnithure [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove stains from teak? Is oiling or sealing advisable?

Harbor Breeze Teak Ceiling Fan [ 5 Answers ]

On 5/21/05, we built a house and the builder installed our Harbor Breeze Teak Ceiling Fan Item #70085 Model #TK52MBK5CR that we purchased from Lowe's. However, the builder through away the instruction manual and other documents that could help me resolve my current problem. The fan just...

View more questions Search