Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:11 PM
    I'm at a loss
    So picture this:

13-year-old husky that has cataracts so bad that he can't see. He pees/poops in the house no matter if he's just been let out or not. He has arthritis so bad that he limps. His legs shake when he stands still.

My husband is/was the owner of the dog. A few weeks ago he was crying because he knew that the quality of life for this poor dog was gone. He's not happy anymore. He hasn't been in almost a year. The only time he seems happy is when he's outside and we can't keep him outside because he's tried to bite me, he has bitten my brother and there are small children that play outside during the day in the neighbor's yards. We have a fence but anybody could put their fingers through.

My husband made an appointment, as hard as it was for him, to put his dog to sleep. I supported this decision for many reasons, the main reason being that he's not happy. I can't stand to watch a dog fall apart.

My mother-in-law hears about this and because she doesn't believe us that he's not doing well she and my sister-in-law decide that the best idea is for the dog to stay at my sister-in-law's house. That's exactly what the dog needs, the stress of yet another move. This is the 3rd move in less than a year for him because my husband and I bought a house a few months after we were married. I find out yesterday that the dog fell down the stairs at my sister-in-law's house, not just fell but apparently cleared my mother-in-law's head while he was in the air. You know why this happened? Because he can't see. He probably didn't even know there were stairs there. He did that at our house once before we had a baby gate up. Oh but he's fine... I'm sure. A 13-year-old dog would be just fine after tumbling down a flight of stairs. I am LIVID! Absolutely livid, that, at this point I am the only one concerned- about the actual dog. Everyone else just cares about themselves.

I don't know what to do. Never in my life would I want to see a dog go through this, and I feel like I have to keep my mouth shut because I don't want my husband's family to be pissed at me. I've already voiced my opinion and it got me nowhere. What am I supposed to do? This is out of control!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 02:16 PM

I wouldn't care who was angry with me - the animal is suffering. It was in your care at one time. Someone needs to make a decision and end its pain.

Who is the licensed owner?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:24 PM

That I'm not sure, could be his parents, could be him. Is there a way to find out without asking? They don't seem to see the obvious, and at this point think that I'm just being cold.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 02:26 PM

Call the Licensing person in your Town/City and ask - in the meantime, he's your husband. Presumably he loves the dog. The fact that the dog is suffering away from his sight does not mean (of course) that the dog is not suffering.

Talk to your husband.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:28 PM

Of course he loves the dog, and any time I try to talk to him about this he tells me just to leave it be. I can't do that because he is suffering and I can't sit back and watch anymore.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 03:38 PM

Then take a stand, ownership or no ownership. I don't understand your husband. I guess you don't, either.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 03:35 AM

Has the dog had treatment for his cataracts?

Has the dog been given arthritis medication?

I don't believe in putting a dog to sleep unless it is ABSOLUTELY nescessary and the dog is in a great deal of pain that cannot be eased by the aid of medicine.

If the dog is yours and your husbands go and get the dog back.
    She had no right to take the dog in the first place.
    Take him back where he will be safe
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 04:51 AM

The only real treatment for cataracts is relatively expensive surgery to removed the broken down lens, which would not be a good option in a dog of that age/health status..
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 04:59 AM

You can get eye drops to improve the clarity of cataracts, while it doesn't remove them, it can give them improved vision.

Dog Cataracts – Canine Cataract Eye Drops
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 10:10 AM

Can you get the dog, take it to the Vet, ask the Vet for advice? Sometimes what people consider to be painful and suffering is not dog pain and suffering - although the fall down the stairs appears to effectively close that argument!
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 11:16 AM

He's been limping when he walks. If he's not limping his legs shake. And a lot of times he starts whining out of nowhere. He has BAD arthritis. I'm positive that he is in pain. I've been through this before with another dog. He's been to the vet so many times. The vet doesn't think there's any solution at this point.
    Uber Member

May 15, 2009, 03:04 AM

Sounds like a pretty awful thing to have to watch him go through :(
    What arthiritis medication is he on?
    How many different ones have you tried? What works for one dog might not work for another, you may want to consider trying a different vet as well.

Sorry for asking so many questions but think of it as a person... you wouldn't put an old lady to sleep because she has arthritis. Until you have exhausted all options and tried all the drugs, keep going :)

I would definitely be demanding to take the dog back though, he needs to be somewhere safe with familiar people who love him :)

Sorry if I sound harsh at all, I just want to make sure all options have been explored first, which I'm sure you have done but it never hurts to double check and get some new ideas :)
    Ultra Member

May 15, 2009, 08:30 AM

I understand that you shouldn't put a dog down because of arthritis. If that was the only problem he had I wouldn't be on here looking for advice. The poor dog is suffering and everyone is just sitting back watching. He's ran away twice now. I'm serious, he cannot see. He's becoming angry, hence the biting. He's been to 2 different vets and both say the same thing. He's 13 years old... Huskies generally live 10-11 years.
    Uber Member

May 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

That's fair enough Zoe, as I said, I know it must be hard for you but I do now think that it does seem like the best option. Sorry for pushing but I just like to make sure :)

Have you insisted to your husbands parents that you want your dog back?
    I know it's an awful thought but you could call your local humane society and tell them the situation and they may have the dog removed from his parents home.
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2009, 12:30 PM

I've actually been debating doing that. I know you just want to make sure. Trust me, I too am an animal lover. This is just a hard situation

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weight loss, making my own weight loss journal [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 and I want to lose weight and make my own weight loss journal. What are some things I sholud keep trak of? And shloud there be things I sholud add as I start, like look at taking vitmins.

What weight loss program helps you detoxify and loss weight at a good rate? [ 2 Answers ]

I want to detoxify my body and loss weight healthily and rapidly. I want to lose 80 lbs by the end of the year.. . I did south beach and I lost about 50 pounds in not even 3 months. :)

Dog fur loss [ 2 Answers ]

My 4 year old short hair dashhound is developing bald spots. I've been treating her for fleas, but I don't think she has any right now. What can I do to help her.

An old loss [ 3 Answers ]

I lost my father to cancer when I was 8, then my sister at 19 within 18 months my partner died in a road traffic accident. I believe I had counselling for my fathers death but I have no recollection at all. I have no other siblings and my sister and I were the very best of friends and when she died...

Fat loss [ 5 Answers ]

I am a woman weighing 241lbs how much water should I drink a day to lose weight?

View more questions Search