Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mainsqueeze24 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 11:09 AM
    2networks 1computer
    I am wondering how would I set up if possible two complete networks (clients, printers, servers, internet) to one computer that has two NIC's , but without bridging the networks or linking them together... I ask because I work with two companies that occupy one building doing warehouse control for both. I would like to merge the puters and warehouse programs together in one computer. Is this possible and how should I set it up. I have an idea but is this correct

NIC A
    Network switch ip 192.168.14.100
    Ip DHCP
    Gateway 192.168.14.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

NIC B

Network switch ip 10.1.10.10
    Ip DHCP
    Gateway 10.1.10.1
    Subnet 255.255.255.0

Or should I have set ip's per card?. I've set up several networks solo.. but never combined them... can anyone help? Thanks
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

May 13, 2009, 03:41 PM

You can do so with two NICs. Do not interconnect the two physical networks without first setting up VLANs to keep them isolated from each other or your DHCP servers will go crazy handing out addresses to each others network.

Also, you will want to decide which is your "primary" and "secondary" network for your PC. You can use DHCP for your "primary" network but you will have to assign a static IP address WITHOUT A GATEWAY address on the "secondary" network. If you are not performing routing for Internet access, etc. then no problem with DHCP on both NIC's. In other words, only one gateway for your computer.

If your networks are Active Directory based networks and they are not Trusted domains, then you will have to also decide which one your computer will join (again which is your "primary" network).
    EddieBear Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

May 20, 2009, 06:06 PM
    "2networks 1computer" that's just funny.

May 26, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieBear View Post
    "2networks 1computer" that's just funny.
    It can get much more complicated than that depending on your requirements.
    Aley Rizvi Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    You can do so with two NICs. Do not interconnect the two physical networks without first setting up VLANs to keep them isolated from each other or your DHCP servers will go crazy handing out addresses to each others network.

Also, you will want to decide which is your "primary" and "secondary" network for your PC. You can use DHCP for your "primary" network but you will have to assign a static IP address WITHOUT A GATEWAY address on the "secondary" network. If you are not performing routing for Internet access, etc. then no problem with DHCP on both NIC's. In other words, only one gateway for your computer.

If your networks are Active Directory based networks and they are not Trusted domains, then you will have to also decide which one your computer will join (again which is your "primary" network).
    If you are running a static sort of configurations (Static IPs withour DHCP etc) then simply connect one cable to a switch and connect that switch to other company's switch...

Assign two ips to your lan and all set.

Jun 1, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aley Rizvi View Post
    If you are running a static sort of configurations (Static IPs withour DHCP etc) then simply connect one cable to a switch and connect that switch to other company's switch....

assign two ips to your lan and all set.
    Since there would be two logical networks on the same physical infrastructure, each with a running DHCP server, this would create problems.

Without a VLAN for each logical network, there would be nothing to isolate the DHCP servers from each other. This would mean that either one could answer a request from a client PC regardless of what network it belongs to.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search