Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    martinc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 10:34 AM
    Boss wants me to move

The boss I had the last 5 yrs. Allowed me to stay in his mother-in-laws house after she passed. Last year got laid off, now he gave me two weeks to move. What rights do I have?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 11:05 AM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Since you have no lease you are a periodic tenant. The landlord only has to give you 14 days notice to move. You can ask him for some more time, but he doesn't have to give it.

If you don't move, he can start evicition proceedings.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:35 AM
    If he asked you to move, then move. Your going to have the same rights with your boss as you would any other landlord. Maybe he wants to sell the house or whatever. I don't know the reasons behind him wanting you to move. But don't take it personal because he is your boss unless there are issues you haven't mentioned. I mean eventually if you don't go you will get an eviction notice.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:37 AM

What state is this in? Some states require the landlord - in this case, your boss - to give the tenant - in this case, you - as much as a 30 day notice.

Also, what circumstances changed that he suddenly wants you to move? You mentioned being laid off; have you not paid rent in a timely manner?

May 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    What state is this in? Some states require the landlord - in this case, your boss - to give the tenant - in this case, you - as much as a 30 day notice.

Also, what circumstances changed that he suddenly wants you to move? You mentioned being laid off; have you not paid rent in a timely manner?

Whoops, for some reason I thought you said this was in Florida. Florida has one of the shortest notice times for a periodic tenant at 15 days. But if you aren't in Fl, then we do need to know where this is. Two weeks may not be sufficient notice. Generally its equal to one rental period.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Whoops, for some reason I thought you said this was in Florida. Florida has one of the shortest notice times for a periodic tenant at 15 days. But if you aren't in Fl, then we do need to know where this is. Two weeks may not be sufficient notice. Generally its equal to one rental period.
    Soooo.. what you're saying is, I was right... ;)

May 13, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Soooo..what you're saying is, I was right.... ;)

No, I'm saying I was in error because I somehow thought I knew the state. Your question just prompted me to look again for where he said FL, when I didn't find it did a Whoops.

;)
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Well what is the situation for him wanting you to move out? I mean here all of a sudden you get laid off and now evicted. Is there a personal thing between you and he is being bitter?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

He was laid off "last year" and was living there since then, sounds like boss must really like him or he would have moved him out long ago.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 12:29 PM

Oh come on everyone... I'm just being silly :p

Fine: we're ALL right... so far :D
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 12:56 PM

Even if you were not paying rent and just living in the home, your boss still can treat you as a monthly tenant and give you written notice to move or evict you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move [ 2 Answers ]

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move

Why is my boss doing this? [ 8 Answers ]

I work for this family as their nanny... we have this "best family-best nanny ever" relationship. Isn't been longer, but I'm getting this strong feeling that the father likes me. I don't want to be in such position.. I love my job and want to keep it or leave it with grace and respect. But how to...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

View more questions Search