Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Name Change Clarification
    Now, generally a parent would need to consent of the other parent in order to have a child's name legally changed.

If the parent seeking the name change already has court ordered full legal and physical custody, does this rule still apply?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 13, 2009, 12:25 PM

Yes the rule applies. Here is why. The other parent still retains some rights to the child. If they had no rights whatsoever then you would also be stripping the child of their right to parental inheritance ( a legal claim ) not an entitlement. That's why we talk so much about TPR's. After a TPR there is no claim nor rights whatsoever. All legal does is grant you the decision making powers.. Physical grants you time with the child. Should something happen then your ex would be first in line for custody of the child / children. Only a TPR removes that right.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 01:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    If they had no rights whatsoever then you would also be stripping the child of thier right to parental inheritence
    Oddly enough I just researched NC law for a different thread. NC law specifically states that all rights AND obligations EXCEPT for the right of inheritance are terminated with a TPR.

So, in at least that one state, a TPR does not end inheritance, but an adoption does.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 13, 2009, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Oddly enough I just researched NC law for a different thread. NC law specifically states that all rights AND obligations EXCEPT for the right of inheritance are terminated with a TPR.

So, in at least that one state, a TPR does not end inheritance, but an adoption does.
    Your right that is odd because it was my belief that a TPR was a severence from the relationship in all ways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need clarification [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone please help me. Me and my husband have been trying to conceive for a year and this month I started spotting and getting brown discharge a week before my period starts. My period is irregular but it never came early and definitely never light. I took a test and it was negative. Is it too...

Clarification Before I Buy [ 2 Answers ]

OK.. Just getting some last minute advice before I run out and spend money lol. I am running a line out to a detached building. It will be coming out of a 200 amp service into a 60 amp breaker sub panel. I will use 6-3 w/gnd (Underground w/ conduit) to do this as well as #6 to run from the ground...

Cotangent clarification [ 1 Answers ]

My equation is this y = cot x This was a sample question in my online review. I have all the x's as x1 = 0, x2= pi/8, x3= pi/4, x4= 3pi/8, x5= pi/2, x6= 5pi/8, x7= 3pi/4, x8= pi. These are all in the lesson plan. The y's are as follows y1= domain, y2= 2.41, y3= 1, y4 = 0.41, y5 =...

Tax clarification [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am a green card holder with us income as only gift of shares from my son.I have foreign country income from India as dividends,interest and small business income.All this I am getting in india for several years before I became a residenrt and my foreign income has no connection with any...

Rough-in Clarification [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three-level townhouse, built ~1998, which has a rough-in half-bath on the ground level (all finished walls with lighting and exhaust fan). There are two pipes--one (1) 4" pipe in the concrete floor for the toilet; one (1) 2" pipe in the wall for the sink. (NOTE: Opposite that wall is...

View more questions Search