Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chultin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 09:49 AM
    disassembling steel frame RV/carport & concrete slab
    Hello there!

My husband and I are about to buy a house that has a fairly unattractive (in my opinion) RV/carport that is probably 20'x50' built with a steel frame on a concrete slab that we neither need nor want. We would like to either disassemble it and sell it, OR sell it for less and have the buyer come and disassemble it.
    Can anyone tell me how these things are usually attached to a concrete slab and how we might get it out? Looks like bolts, but not sure if they are bolted into an anchor or a fastener. The thing is built to cover an RV so it's very high, I really have no idea how we'd get up there or how we'd take off the "roof". We are planning on removing the slab as well, but will probably hire a subcontractor to do that and haul it off.

Anyone have any useful information about carport (dis)assembly that might be helpful in this endeavor.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 10:07 AM

Try to take out one of the bolts and you'll know,

It's probably best to let the buyer remove it, for then he will know how it goes back together and can mark the pieces.

An anchor or fastener are basically the same thing.
    Some methods include:

1. Lead anchor and lag bolts
    2. A stud which operates the same way but is stronger
    3. Rivets that are blasted into the ground with gunpowder.

There are other methods, but I doubt they were used. Like a core drill and cementing the posts into place.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 02:10 PM

It's probably best to let the buyer remove it, for then he will know how it goes back together and can mark the pieces.
    PERFECT!! I like to watch people work

Get a waiver signed if the buyer that's taking it down falls.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 06:30 PM

Put it on Craigslist as free to first person to disassemble and remove.
    chad8490 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 08:31 PM
    Where is the carport located? I may be interested in coming to dessasemble it and buy it from you.
    Chad
    717-339-6742
    [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Slab Poured Over Concrete Slab [ 1 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a large commercial building, +/- 100k s.f.. I'm attempting to provide a drive-thru into the existing facility by opening up the existing masonry walls to allow vehicles access pick up area and drive out with merchandise . The interior concrete slab on grade is 4-5" thk. which will...

Connecting new concrete slab to old slab for an addition [ 1 Answers ]

I want to expand my master bed room/walk in closet to house. Need to puor new slb for addition and connect to the old slab.

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Steel frame require having sand? [ 2 Answers ]

Do steel frame pools haft to have sand or can I use the padding I seen on the net you put under the liner and on the walls. I like to put a steel frame up but I'm renting and I don't think my landlord would like sand in the yard. He was OK with me putting a simple set pool up but it got slashed so...

View more questions Search