Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I guess my problem is for example my sister in law. She updates like every 10 minutes. I guess I wouldn't get so annoyed if maybe she posted something major on there like I'M Pregnant, that is fine. But to post eating dinner then 10 minutes later mmmm that was yummy, then 10 minutes later i'm tired from eating {yawn} then 10 minutes later getting coffee and on and on and on.

Plus for me if you aren't in my cell phone I don't give a Sh*t what you are up too.
    We are on the same page with this. Your cracking me up. But I respect the others that use it and love it. Hey I use this and love it so its all good.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I opened an account because I have a relative who doesn't look at regular email too often . I have that relative and no one else in my friends group and ignore any other requests . Any message gets forwarded to my regular email server.

People who know me and I care for know how to find me without the use of that redundant and inferior site.
    Tom we don't agree too much but I am with you on this one.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 13, 2009, 11:36 AM

Stuff like that is a cry for attention or a real "friend". I've no issue with people that can handle Facebook, Synnen seems like a person few would have a problem with.

The constant updates and stuff like that really expose a person, unknown to that person of course, but it is really annoying. I had a friend that posted the dumbest stuff about his girlfriend, how much he loved her and how excited he was to be going to the movies with her, people like that really made me re-consider why this person is my friend.

Finally, I do believe that a lot of the status updates are messages for other people. I know exes will post suggestive things to make others jealous and stuff like that. I'd say people need to grow up but I was shocked to see people in their 30's playing games like this.

UPDATE: Got to go get a coffee, will be back to hopefully see the next response.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 88sunflower View Post
    We are on the same page with this. Your cracking me up. But I respect the others that use it and love it. Hey I use this and love it so its all good.
    I was asking my sister about why she uses Facebook and she said because she is nosy. I think that answer is what keeps me from getting into it. It's cool if you use it to actually communicate with people. But just updating all about every little detail seems so needy.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:41 AM

I don't mind Facebook, and I do some MAJOR e-creeping on there, but that is me. Some hotties need to be looked at, and I am just the dude to do it.

That being said, the amount of ignorant status updates, coupled with worthless applications Facebook comes up with (squirtgun fights, mafia wars, etc) tend to turn me off. Some people should be banned from typing on a computer if all they can do is tell me they are taking a nap... watching their favorite show, or some other worthless piece of information that pizzes me off (I don't care that much about your life to know what it is you do on a daily or even hourly basis). Carry on... :cool:
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kctiger View Post
    I don't mind Facebook, and I do some MAJOR e-creeping on there, but that is me. Some hotties need to be looked at, and I am just the dude to do it.
    At least you are honest on why you do it. Got to respect you for that!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
    BTW you can turn off ALL apps. This really reduce the crap in your news feed and email.
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:44 AM

I will say, there are a few women in particular that take pics of themselves for mere pleasure of posting it on Facebook. The stupid little "model" poses pizz me off to no end. Don't act like you are a model. Lord knows you wouldn't be on the gayest social networking site in the world if you were.
    88sunflower Posts: 1,207, Reputation: 462
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 11:45 AM
    I can admit surfing myspace because I was so totally bored out of my mind. But honestly since I found this site I don't bother. I mean when I find someone I want to be nosy about there profile is private so what's the bother. Everyone has there own thing and great for those who use it.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 13, 2009, 12:07 PM

Just want to give the BEST example of why Facebook works so well for me.

My husband and I are in the process of buying a house. We have friends and relatives all over the country, and a few in Iraq as well.

We've been posting updates on our house status, along with pictures of the house, and of the different funny things we've run into along the way (like the weird stuff people store in their basements, and the house we went into that still had Halloween decorations up--in April).

This is MUCH easier than calling dozens of people who want to know and are interested in our house search. It's also easier to post pics in one place, rather than have to direct people to a different website via email or phone, or than emailing 100 pictures to 40 people.

I usually update my status about once a day, and it's usually related to my house.

I use the site do keep up with my nieces and nephews in different states, and my sister posts pics there that all of the relatives can save and print for themselves, rather than sending out pictures to a ton of people every 6 months or whatever.

Again, if it's used to KEEP in touch with people, or used to do real status updates--or in the case of some of my friends, to have very weird quotes and such--then it's a GREAT networking website.

If it's used as a dating site or you have friends who are juvenile posters, well---have you spoken up to them about how silly they are?
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 12:30 PM

Synnen you use Facebook wisely.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 05:42 AM

Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, IMVU, and any other chat sites like that are just stupid...
    Who cares what I'm feeling at the moment, what music I'm listening to or who can get the most friends in their list...

I'd rather chat to people on the phone on MSN rather than leave a pointless message.

Much like this one actually... pointless... I'm going to go post something meaningful in the Boom Boom Room :p
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, IMVU, and any other chat sites like that are just stupid...
    Who cares what I'm feeling at the moment, what music I'm listening to or who can get the most friends in their list...

I'd rather chat to people on the phone on MSN rather than leave a pointless message.
    Just to play devil's advocate here...

... yet you just posted what you are feeling at the moment regarding those sites in a "pointless message" on THIS board.

You also use one of the most common chat sites--MSN.

How are those things different?
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 05:52 AM

They are just silly, everyone competes on them for who has the most friends.
    I joined MySpace a few years back and in the first week I got over 100 invites to be people 'friends'.

MSN isn't a chat site... it is a program, and you have a general conversation with a personal friend who you add to the list... without your e-mail no-one else can 'invite' you.

People who update their pages everyday just get under my skin for some reason, I'm all for making new friends in exotic places but there are better ways to do it in my opinion.

I didn't mean to offend you.
    It's only my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I posted my feelings because that is what the topic was titled "I loathe facebook" I was agreeing as it's something I feel strongly about.
    Ultra Member

May 14, 2009, 06:00 AM

I think the only thing that is silly about them is how seriously some people take them. It is almost a social hierarchy for certain people that crave attention. Very few people are like that though, just sayin'.
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 06:00 AM

I wasn't trying to be mean or insult you.

I also use MSN, but find that since my friends are so scattered (after living in 4 states in 10 years, your friends end up a bit... all over the place), it's hard to connect with them on MSN, because we're all simply on different schedules in different time zones.

I guess I can see the use of sites like Facebook and Myspace and Twitter--simply because I have too many friends in too many places to try to talk to them via MSN or whatever--and this way we all get each other's BIG news, and are able to contact people for more information, rather than calling "just to talk" and then having nothing to say, or not being able to remember how much of your recent life history that person knows.

/shrug--I don't mind the difference of opinion. I just think that too many people are ONLY seeing how the teens use it, and not how it could be used as a great way to network with your friends.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 06:01 AM
    They are just silly, everyone competes on them for who has the most friends.
    Just Ignore them. Would you really be inundated with Friend requests?

People who update their pages everyday just get under my skin for some reason
    It doesn't bother me - to each his own. People who spend all day IM'ing or texting are really no different, they are only doing it one person at a time. For the record I have no use for Twitter.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 06:05 AM

You have some good points Synnen.
    I personally don't have a great deal of friends, probably half a dozen that I talk to on a regular basis so I don't really need a big networking site.
    I do have a few penpals overseas who have the internet but we still prefer to hand write each other letters :)
    I am one of those people who see it is a teen site, I dpn't know many people who use it that aren't under 16... I now know that I was wrong and there are a greater amount of older people using it (and I don't mean 'older' in a bad way!)

Opinions shminions lol
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 06:09 AM
    MySpace is the teen site. Facebook started as a college-only site, that's why the average age is higher. Plus they do not allow (thankfully!) the god-awful homepage customization that MySpace allows.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 06:20 AM

Haha yes, the few that I have been to I never let fully load... it would have taken years :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I can't log into Facebook [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering if i had a virus on my computer ive tried everyway to log into facebook and when i get to the beg of the page it goes back to this... we can't find "http://as.casalemedia.com/s?s=82460&u=ht..." what does that mean and i try refresh no luck i try loggin back in different ways no...

Can't log onto Facebook [ 1 Answers ]

I am a caveman when it comes to computers. :o Over the past week or so, I have been unable to log into Facebook. It opens halfway, and then nothing... I have no problem with other pagers I have Windows XP and using Google Chrome as web browser. Please, can anybody assist me with a solution??

Facebook Does Not Load [ 7 Answers ]

Help me please! This is what happens and I don't know why! I Type in the Facebook urland click enter: - In internet explorer the bar at the bottom indicating the loading stops about halfway, on a blank page. - In mozilla Firefox it will sometimes load the log in page, so I type in my email addy...

Facebook event [ 2 Answers ]

Do u have an Idea if I want to make an official Facebook event who shall I try to contact?

View more questions Search