Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mimi888 Posts: 71, Reputation: 3

May 13, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Google map?
    Hi, I will be driving from West Coast of Canada to the East coast of USA. Where can I get accurate directions for my travels? How accurate is Google map for international travel directions?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:20 AM

Personally, I think Google maps is a load of rubbish.

We went on a road trip to the beach and followed Googles instructions perfectly, we arrived 2 hours later than expected after going down dirt roads. It was the shortest distance so they get credit for that but Google doesn't take into account that some roads have speed limits of 20 while others have speed limits of 80... of course, we got directed down all the 20 limited roads.

Would have been a lot faster if we just bought a road map and followed it :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:22 AM
    I'll use Google Maps to plan my own route but I wouldn't plug in addresses from places so far away and expect concise driving directions. Plus you'll likely be stopping along the way. Break it up into smaller travelling chunks and plan your own route based on their maps.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:26 AM

I love Google Earth and Maps, didn't know they did turn by turn with distances, I checked Mapquest International, which has several Countries, but not Canada? For the Us Portion, I would use Mapquest. If you have an extra $100, you may consider a GPS, plus, if you miss a turn, it will automatically reroute you. Good Luck.

May 13, 2009, 07:28 AM
    What are your opinions on mapquest? I've never used it but I've heard that you can choose the option of shortest time instead of shortest distance.

May 13, 2009, 07:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I love Google Earth and Maps, didn't know they did turn by turn with distances, I checked Mapquest International, which has several Countries, but not Canada, For the Us Portion, I would use Mapquest. If you have an extra $100, you may consider a GPS, plus, if you miss a turn, it will automatically reroute you. Good Luck.
    We were typing at the same time lol
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:30 AM

I love Mapquest, Not sure if there is an option of shortest route, or most quick time.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:36 AM
    I checked Mapquest International, which has several Countries, but not Canada?,
    Yes sir it has Canada. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2009, 07:41 AM

Frankly, I would not trust either. GPS prices are way down, you can get a decent one for about $100. Google Maps or Mapquest or the like, are not going deal with detours, rest stops etc.

I would strongly suggest investing in a GPS unit. While they are also not 100% accurate, they would be a lot better then relying on an online service for a static map.

If you have a laptop another alternative is the Delorme or Microsoft laptop GPS unit. You load the software on a laptop and plug the GPS receiver into a USB port. Generally priced under $100, these give you much greater detail than a standalone GPS unit. It allows for looking ahead for rest stops and exit services or even points of interest.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:44 AM

I did find Canada, was not in the International list. Try it:
    MapQuest: Maps, Addresses, Business Directory & Satellite Photos
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 07:49 AM
    It's part of the default US mapping.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 08:33 AM

I concur. I've used directions before and... :

1. the directions told me to go straight and doing so would have put me back on the interstate. OOPs.

2. My cousin used a map software to visit me and she was told to turn left. Unfortunately you could not turn left. Left and right turns were from the right lane.

I had given her landmarks and she made one wrong turn in the place stated above, but she was back on the road in minutes and arrived without any intervention.

If I use online directions, I tend to try a few of them and compare.

May 13, 2009, 01:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    If you have a laptop another alternative is the Delorme or Microsoft laptop GPS unit. You load the software on a laptop and plug the GPS receiver into a USB port. Generally priced under $100, these give you much greater detail than a standalone GPS unit. It allows for looking ahead for rest stops and exit services or even points of interest.
    I do have a laptop but I am not familiar with this product you've mentioned. Do you take the laptop into the car with you? Do you need internet connection to use it? Do I need long battery life of the laptop?

May 13, 2009, 01:42 PM

This is the Delorme product I mentioned:
    Earthmate GPS LT-40 & Street Atlas USA 2009 PLUS, on DVD - BUNDLE - DeLorme

I've seen it in stores on sale for $79.99 or less.

No you do not need Internet connectivity, but you do need an 12 volt car adapter for your laptop. Or you can get a power inverter so you can plug in the laptops AC adapter.

Funny story: I have used the Delorme Street Atlas in my Laptop with Delorme's Bluetooh GPS receiver. On a trip in Florida, my daughter had a cold and she was navigating with the laptop on her lap. The vocie recognition would pick up every time she coughed and tried to figure out what command she was giving.

But seriously, the voice recognition works OK so you can zoom in and out, ask how far to go, pinpoint where you are etc.

Microsoft has a similar package to go with their Streets and Trips software, but I haven't used that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2009, 02:01 PM

No electronic map or GPS unit is going to be 100% accurate because they can't be any better than the info install which can be faulty. I use both a car GPS, a built in GPS and Google, all are missing recent street construction. However, most any of them can get you from one coast to the other.
    Uber Member

May 14, 2009, 05:21 AM

I have a couple of different GPS's. I like the Delorme PN-20(PN-40 is out now and better)
    You can load Nautical Charts, Street Maps, Topos' including 7.5 Minute Topos. You can even use ariel photography, and by matching up 2 reference points, on photo and gps, which will correct orientation and scale.

May 14, 2009, 05:25 AM
    I like the Delorme PN-20(PN-40 is out now and better)
    The PN-20(40) is great as a multi-purpose unit, if you need something for hiking, boating, biking and the occassionial car trip. But I wouldn't recommend it for a long car trip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Last Google? [ 23 Answers ]

What was the last thing you Googled? C'mon, we're all guilty of Googling odd things... I'll go first... Last night I Googled "Purple Urine". The reason was that I'd watched 'Scrubs' the other night and they were talking about purple urine... so there you have it! Your turn...

Google [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I wonder if you can help me, how do you delete histories on Google, now I know how to do this with Google tools, but at the moment I have Google as my home page and there are no tools when it is Google home page. I hope you understand my question. Thanks all.:confused:

Google [ 1 Answers ]

Recently the Google tool bar disappeared from my browser home page. I went to Google and downloaded and installed the bar again but it does not appear in my browser under the address bar as it always has. The suggestions on the Google home page don't get it to show up and Google doesn't reply to...

View more questions Search