Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jolliegurl04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 08:26 PM
    8 month old Chihuahua pregnant how do I stop this?
    I need help my 8 month old chihuahua just finished being in heat. No more bleeding but her area is still swollen, so we keep her "diaper" on her still just in case she starts bleeding but mainly to make her safe. Today another chihuahua male desided it was time for her not to be a virgin anymore. By the time that I found them he was already done and was trying to get out of her. I'm afraid that she might get pregnant from this. She is very little and the male chihuahua was slightly bigger. Now my vet told me that since she is so little it isn't a good idea to mate her with a bigger dog, and that was never my intentions. I'm worried is there anything I can do to find out other then waiting. :confused: I know going to the vet is the best thing but I'm short on funds is there anything at home that I can do? Please help :(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 11:02 PM

You can take her to the vet to get a misalignment injection but this must be done within 72 hours of the mating.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2009, 04:37 AM

If you cannot get her to the vet within a few days of it happening, your only real option to terminate the pregnancy is to get her spayed.
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 06:15 AM

danielnoahsmommy agrees: yes! But she should have had the forethought to have done this already. Now the pup will suffer!
    While I do agree with you that the dog should be spayed. 8 months is an early season and a lot of vets would rather wait until the puppy is older before undertaking a large operation like this.
    I know many will disagree with this and say that puppies should be spayed earlier but I prefer to wait as the risks are greater when they are younger. Just my opinion but I know there are others that agree with me.

She is far too young to have the puppies though so it may be the only option.
    lifewontwait89 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2009, 11:06 PM

If she's that young there's a good chance that she won't make it, and the puppies wouldn't have much of a chance without her anyway. Your two choices are basically 1 dog or no dogs.
    jolliegurl04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2009, 01:48 AM

But how do I know if she is pregnant?

She has been going through heat and her area stopped bleeding and the swollen part is going down, but her nipples are still "perky"... is that a good or bad sign? I just don't know. I know the right thing is to get her spayed but I want to know the signs of a pregnant dog compard to a dog getting out of being in heat
    Uber Member

May 18, 2009, 04:41 AM

You should have taken her to the vet straight away regardless of whether you knew she was pregnant or not.

It is now too late for the injection so you need to take her to the vet for tests...

Get her spayed either way.
    greatdanelover3 Posts: 44, Reputation: 8

May 21, 2009, 12:41 PM

If your intentions were to never breed her because of her small size and you were advised by a vet why didn't you get her spayed right away? Most of the time it only takes one "tye" to impregnate a dog. It will be costly anyway you look at it. If the pups are to big and she has complications then a c-section will be needed to save at least her life. And if the pups live, then you will most likely be the mother, feeding them every two hours, stimulating them to urinate and poop, and cleaning them. Because of her age she will most likely not want to care for the pups or really know how to! Good luck but remember this could have been avoided with a very simple procedure.
    peterslis Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2009, 04:39 PM

More than likely she is pregnaunt, it isn't healthy for her yet, you can always wait 30 days, because their gestation is 60 usually, and see if the vet can do something, she could potentially have to have a ceasarean section. The deed is done, but the only way you can prevent this is spading or completely locking them away from each other, 14 to 20 days is the average time for her cycle. More than likely she is pregnaunt, what for a little thickness in her skin and neck, anyway weight gain even in the littlest of areas is a sign... then work with your vet on making sure she can be comfortable, talk to your vet about your options, you can usually call them and talk to them without a charge, especially if you have established a business relationship with them already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick 3 month old chihuahua [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 3 month old Chihuahua barely 2 pounds. He is up to date on his shots and dewormings. However Last Tuesday he had his latest shot and on Thurday had a deworming treatment and has not been right since. He started Vomiting on Friday. Stopped on Saturday and was eating and drinking and acting...

Spaying a 9 month old chihuahua? [ 7 Answers ]

We have a 2 1/2 pound chihuahua that was born on October 19th, 2007. She is about 9 months old. We didn't know if spaying her would be a good thing since she is so small. We think she is in heat for the first time. Her genitals are swollen and she is licking a lot. Is 9months normal age for a...

3 month old Teacup Chihuahua will not eat [ 2 Answers ]

My new Teacup Chihuahua won't eat. I've only had him a week and I've been trying to feed him the same combination that the breeder was giving him (Iams puppy food mixed with Mighty Dog Select). The only thing I can get him to take is Nutrical (via a syringe). The breeder told me that I'd need to...

Sick 3 month old teacup chihuahua [ 2 Answers ]

I brought my 3 month old (1.8 pound) chihuahua home 1 week ago from a local pet store. The second day I had him I realized that he was coughing and probably had kennel cough. I took him to the vet immediately and he put him on Zithromax, bene-bac gel, and some pain meds, gave him a shot and said...

9 Month old chihuahua Marking things around the house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My 9 month old chihuahua has just started to mark things around the house, if I leave anything lying unattended for a few minutes it has been marked. (esp bin bags at the moment) He is house trained and always goes outside to the toilet except if I let him come upstairs with me at night....

View more questions Search