Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canary Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Soil hardening in my vegetable garden
    Hi I have been preparing my vegetable garden for planting my vegies, I have tilled the soil ,added black earth soil,and compost.still the soil seems to harden. Any suggestions on what I should do to help keep the soil softer? Thanks to all
    MCKR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 05:18 PM

I'm an amateur with this and I have the same problem. I just found on the net lots of info about Four Square Gardening. There's a good "recipe" for mixing soil that stays friable. Mix 4/5 different composts to form your "compost." Mix that with equal amounts of coarse vermiculite and peat. It's called "Mel's Mix." I've just created my "batch." Hope it works!
    freedhardwoods Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2010, 05:51 AM

Although you have added compost, I am fairly sure you haven't added enough to loosen your soil. Adding other topsoil won't help much either unless you add a very large amount. I had an area of subsoil (from the basement of our house) that I wanted to make into a garden. Weeds wouldn't even grow very well before I "fixed" it.

I added new, uncomposted sawdust 8"-10" deep over the entire area and tilled it in using several passes with my Troybilt tiller. I also added urea nitrogen at an enormous rate of about 1500 lbs/acre to assist with the decomposition of the sawdust. That area is one of the better gardens that I have now.

I only used sawdust because I have access to as many tons of it as I want. Any type of organic matter will work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The rainforst what's in the soil is there away to fix it after the soil is used up by. [ 5 Answers ]

The rainforst what's in the soil is there away to fix it after the soil is used up by farmers and stuff? Just dump everything u know about rainfrost soil here:D

Vegetable garden with underground electric lines in my yard [ 5 Answers ]

The electric supply to our house is buried underground from the pole to the house. There is a nice spot in the yard that gets full sun that I'd like to develop into a vegetable garden like tomatoes and salad greens etc. I know I can dig near the buried cable obviously but how far away from it...

Hardening/sealing finish of old cast iron sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there guys, I'm helping some friends this coming weekend in their kitchen. We'll be pulling their sink, building some cabinets, replacing the countertop then reinstalling the sink. During the week, they've been stripping some old paint/sealer off the sink with a heat gun. You know the...

Hardening of the arteries [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: My cholesterol levels are under control these days. However, for the bulk of my life, it was high. Does that mean I have arthrosclerosis? Do statin drugs reduce artery plaque? excon

How to make support wall for garden soil using 4x4 posts [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have really small garden that is on the 45 degree angle. Since I want to level it by putting more soil I would first need to build "support" wall from 4x4 (I think it's 4x4) posts. Does anybody have an idea how to make the wall (4x4) solid in order not to fall down from soil presuure?...

View more questions Search