Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 03:24 PM
    Service Panel not working
    I have a QO6-100RB Service Panel. I was planning on adding another circuit so I turned off the 100 amp main breaker on the outside of the building (it is in a six gang meter pack). I then added the second circuit and attempted to turn the power back on by flipping the breaker in the meter pack.

It will not switch on. I push the breaker into the on position, but it will not stay there and returns to the off position. I then removed all the breakers inside the service panel and tried it again. Still doesn't work. Now I can not get any power to the service panel.

The grounding wire inside the service panel from the SE wire originally was going to a grounding bar that was added after the service panel was installed. I moved the grounding wires to the neutral bar thinking that may solve it (as shown in the picture) but it is still not working. The only thing I can think of is that the wire is grounding out somewhere, but the wires, panel and service pack are all under 2 years old and the 5 other meters are working great so I don't know what the problem is.
    Attached Images

Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
    When you say the breaker returns to the off position... does it latch on and trip, or does it latch at all? Sounds like you have a bad breaker. Is there a sound relating to it returning, or just won't stay in place? And what is that ground wire doing there? It almost looks like you have the ground on one of the hot busses. Put things back the way they were. If you have no load, and no short you have a defective breaker. With the breaker off, you can check the wiring with a multimeter. And where is the grounding bar?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 07:59 PM

The ground bar is in the lower left, obscured. The ground wire belongs there, not where its at.

Ground and neutral must remain isolated at sub-panels.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 13, 2009, 04:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio_Remodeler View Post
    I moved the grounding wires to the neutral bar thinking that may solve it (as shown in the picture) but it is still not working.
    This quote prompts me to strongly suggest you get an electrician to check this out and to do this job for you.
    In fact it is most likely required. Where is it that you have a six-pack meter? If it is commercial or multi-family dwelling it is almost guaranteed that you cannot legally do this electrical work there.
    Ohio_Remodeler Posts: 85, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 07:59 AM
    The breaker does not latch at all. I just push it into the on position and it does not latch and then returns to the off position. Sounds like it's the breaker, then. I will put it back the ground wires back on the grounding bar and have an electrician replace the breaker.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

May 14, 2009, 01:22 AM
    Please tell me my eyes are lying to me, or does the picture really show a grounding conductor crossing over the buss?

K.I.S.S. is correct, the grounding conductor should be connected to the grounding buss in the lower left hand corner. Because it is fed from a meter stack, this is a sub-panel. The only place the grounding and grounded (neutral) conductors should be connected is at the main service panel.

If the breaker does not reset, either there is a fault, or the breaker is bad. An electrician can determine if the problem is in the breaker or the wires.

If the breaker is bad, keep in mind the line side will be hot unless the meter is removed from the base. It is illegal and dangerous for the property owner to remove the meter from the base. The service conductors are considered "unprotected" by the NEC. (The utility follows a different code, and is allowed to fuse the conductors at a higher ampacity than the NEC allows.)

Because of the amount of power available at the service, many utilities now require their metermen to wear arc flash rated clothing, face shields, and voltage rated gloves to install and remove meters, and the utility may also fine you for breaking the meter seal. There are also fines for working without a license and permit. I agree with Stan. You need to call a real electrician for this job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Updating service panel to 200 amp with feeder to 100 amp panel in old house [ 8 Answers ]

I currently in the process of converting 1000 sq ft of attached garage into living space while doing this we are updating electrical service to 200 amp new service, there is 100 amp service in the old part of the house which will remain but need to be sub paneled from the new 200 amp service. I...

Service panel [ 1 Answers ]

House is 40 years old. The service panel is in the bathroom, on a exterior wall. I am selling the home and I called a home inspector and he said he would say no defects but location not desirable. If I had to move it, could the electrical contractor bundle the wires together and run them to the...

200 AMP Service panel to 200Amp Sub Panel [ 1 Answers ]

I getting new 200Amp service to surface mount service panel. I want to run 2oo cable to bring it sub panel in my Garage which is approx 120Ft Run through ceiling. 2 Questions 1. Is there any ristriction on running a 200AMP inside house to garage ? 2. I got a dirt cheap subpanel that has...

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

Sub panel on 100 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small single family house with 100 amp service. By my calculations, 100 amps is fine but the panel only has 8 circuits and I am adding a number of circuits with a bathroom/kitchen remodel. I am thinking that adding a subpanel for my kitchen will be cheaper than replacing my main panel...

View more questions Search