Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgodley Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 01:34 PM
    Need some advice
    My 18 year old son is experiencing a tingling sensation in his heart area. He feels no pain but is concerned with the frequency and intensity of these tingling sensations. He recently competed in athletic activities and felt fatigued after playing just a short time. I took him to the doctor and they seem to think we should consult a cardiologist but their office doesn't have any appointments until three weeks from now. What do you think we should do? Does this tingling sensation warrant a visit to the emergency ward? Please advise!! Frustrated mom
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 01:45 PM
    From what you are describing it is hard to say if he should go to the ER. I am not sure I understand a "tingling" sensation in the heart area. Can you be any more specific?

You say he was in recent athletic activities. What kind of activities? Is he on a sports team?

You can ask him, I am sure he will not tell you without getting upset, but does he take any steroids or any medications to help him perform better in his sport? A fluttering sensation can possibly be a sign of setroid usage.

Unless the problem gets worse, you can probably wait the three weeks for the cardiologist, but it is imperative you get him in to see one.

Are there any genetic heart disorders in your family?

Without a face-to-face history and physical exam, we can only guess, your doctor is your best bet here.

Sep 27, 2006, 01:54 PM
    He played tennis yesterday on a college team for penn state. He is a very good kid and would never take steroids. One more added thing is his blood pressure has been very elevated. Heart disease runs on my husband's side of the family. His father had his first heart attack at age 45. But I believe his was brought on by poor diet and drinking. When we saw the doctor on Monday the doctor listened to his heart and was leaning toward anxiety but he wanted us to go to the cardiologist to rule out a heart condition. My son is complaining about tingling in his heart and under his armpit. This tingling comes and goes but sometimes is more intense then others. Hope this helps you to understand our problem.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Right or left armpit? Very important here so that we can try and pinpoint the correct area of the heart.

You know, that sometimes "very good kids" take steroids so that they can do well and their parents stay proud of them. It is a major secret with all sports, tennis and swim included. Actually, most of the time it is the very good kids that take steroids.

Just keep a heads up. I know what you are thinking, and if it were one of my kids I would think the same. "My kid would never do that!" However, this CAN be a symptom of steroids, I am not saying that is what your son is doing, okay? But just know that this can be a symptom.

GO PENN STATE (My Grandmother used to work there and my Uncle used to teach there many moons ago)

Sep 27, 2006, 02:41 PM
    I can guarantee that my son isn't on steroids. He faints at the sight of a needle and he is very open with my husband and I. His tingling is under the left arm pit. This scares all of us especially him. He thinks that he must be having a heart attack and wants me to take him to the er.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 03:16 PM
    If you feel it is best to take him to the ER then do it. You never know what they may find. It may be good to do since you have to wait a few weeks. Just use your mother's intuition.

Sep 27, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Thanks for the advice and reassurance. Thank you for your time.
    Expert

Sep 27, 2006, 03:43 PM
    Hey, no thanks necessary, that is what I am here for.

It is good to know you know what is going on. Just be careful again for the next month to be sure. Double up on your protection until your next period. You should be fine, I just wanted you to know that it does really happen.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Sep 27, 2006, 03:47 PM
    Yes... please Visit The Emergency Room... the Visit To The Emergency Room Saved My Husband's And My Life... go The First Thing In The Morning... when More Staff Are Available For Testing... I Am Rechecking My List Of What Was Done To Catch Some Of My Problems And My Husbands... because Of Early Detection I Am Telling Everyone That I Am Twenty - Plus... My Husband Is 52... be Bless
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Sep 27, 2006, 05:25 PM
    I would be cautious here. Mostly what stood out was the fact of the high blood pressure. If the tingling sensation under the arm & in the chest becomes increasingly uncomfortable, then you should go to the E.R.
    And considering the high blood pr. I wouldn't have the son exerting himself in any activities like sports until getting the OK from the cardiologist.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 27, 2006, 08:14 PM
    The "tingling" feeling could also be the terms in which your son describes the sensation associated with an arrhythmia (abnormal or irregular heartbeat). Check his pulse during one of these episodes and see if the beats are regular or irregular. Benign (non-dangerous) arrhythmias can be brought on by anxiety and this is likely what your son is experiencing - but there are more serious causes of arrhythmia that can be dangerous and will need to be ruled out. The tendency for some arrhythmias run in families and they can be a cause of sudden death - like those cases you sometimes hear about when a young athelete dies suddenly during a game. Did your doctor obtain an EKG? An appointment with a cardiologist ASAP is indicated. They will do an EKG and may need to do a Holter monitor - where a portable device records your son's EKG for 24 hours or longer. Until you see a cardiologist, it is probably wise that your son not participate in any training or competition. Certainly, if you and your son are concerned, a visit to the ER may get you into the system sooner. They can do some EKG monitoring and would hopefully consult with a cardiologist while you are there.
    Mani14 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:11 AM
    My brother had a pain in his leg since his childhood at that time we didn't take it as seriously and just go through with the pain killers or some massage etc. But recently we came to know that he is suffering from Ankylosing Spondylitis. And also have hip joint problem.
    He is also patient of depression. First time it occur in July2006( after knowing that he has to take surgery) and then we go through with homeopathic medicine and he got a high relax but still he he used to get depressed and usually do the unusual thing.
    We have taken all mode of treatment
    Allopathic - which includes pain killers most of the time.
    Homeopathic - treatment includes Bryonia, treatment, silecea, Acid floor (it was all very less affective to him)
    Ayurvedic - It was just a steroid for 4-5yrs (he got a high relax)
    He had also taken full cause treatment of T.B. nearly 8-10yrs back

Oues:Does there any side effect of these medicine?

Orthopedic surgeon had suggested that we had to go through with hip joint surgery as the gap b/w hip joint that should be about 2mm is about to be finished.
    He also told us that AS is a some type of infectious disease so if we don't do the surgery then the motion will be difficult and if the motion will not happen then the infection could be more spread to any other part of body and this will causes inflammation.

Ques: How urgent is surgery for him?Tell me, Will it be really beneficial.
    Ques: If we go through the surgery how long it will work? WHAT TYPE OF SURGERY WOULD IT BE MAJOR/MINOR.
    Ques: Since he is too weak so surgery could be done at this stage or not?

HOMEOPATHIC DOCTOR
    A homeopathic doctor named Dr. Subhash C.Sharma DMS.(Cal.), D.T.Sc.(Naihati), H.R.C degree holder. He is really confident that at this stage he could give him a nice affect.
    My brother is under his treatment for 3 months and now he is again asking for more 2-3 months for his better stage.

Ques: tell me is it true that he can really do something for him?
    Ques: All such a degree that this Dr. have is sufficient for this (AS) disease?
    Ques: If you feel he could not do such a case for us so what type of question should we ask to him
    As I already told you he is really so much confident but still we didn't get our desire result.

If, again Ihave some query related to this problem.Can I ask u further some question?Kindly send me the answer as soon as possible

__________________________________________________ _______________
    Spice up your IM conversations. New, colorful and animated emoticons. Get chatting! MSN India - MSN Messenger - Have fun with emoticons

| | | | | Inbox

Get the latest updates from MSN
    Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Groups | Search | Messenger
    Feedback | Help
    © 2007 Microsoft TERMS OF USE Privacy Statement Anti-Spam Policy
    Mani14 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:48 AM
    [email protected] Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Search | Messenger
    Web Search:

Hotmail
    Today Mail Calendar Contacts
    Options | Help

[email protected] Messenger: Offline
    Free Newsletters

Reply | Reply All | Forward | Delete | Put in Folder | Print View | Save Address

My brother had a pain in his leg since his childhood at that time we did not take it as seriously and just go through with the pain killers or some massage etc. But recently we came to know that he is suffering from Ankylosing Spondylities. And also have hip joint problem.
    His is also patient of dipression. First time it occur in July2006( after knowing that he has to take surgery) and then we go through with homeopathic medicine and he got a high relax but still he he used to get dipressed and usually do the unusual thing.
    We have taken all mode of tratment
    Allopathic - which includes pain killers most of the time.
    Homeopathic - whichich includes Bryonia, Rhusthox, silecea, Acid floor (it was all very less affective to him)
    Ayurvedic - It was just a steriod for 4-5yrs (he got a high relax)
    He had also taken full couse treatment of T.B. nearluy 8-10yrs back

Oues:Does there any side effect of these medicine?

Orthopedic surgeon had suggested that we had to go through with hip joint surgery as the gap b/w hip joint that should be about 2mm is about to be finished.
    He also told us that AS is a some type of infectious disease so if we don't do the surgery then the motion will be difficult and if the motion willl not happen then the infection could be more spread to any other part of body and this infectionm causes inflmmation.

Ques: How urgent is surgery for him?Tell me, Will it be really beneficial.
    Ques: If we go through the surgery how long it will work? WHAT TYPE OF SURGERY WOULD IT BE MAJOR/MINOR.
    Ques: Since he is too weak so surgery could be done at this stage or not?

HOMEOPATHIC DOCTOR
    A homeopathic doctor named Dr. Subhash C.Sharma DMS.(Cal.), D.T.Sc.(Naihati), H.R.C degree holder. He is really confident that at this stage he could give him a nice affect.
    My brother is under his treatment for 3 months and now he is again asking for more 2-3 months for his better stage.
    Ques: tell me is it true that he can really do something for him?
    Ques: All such a degree that this Dr. have is sufficient for this (AS) disease?
    Ques: If you feel he could not do such a case for us so what type of question should we ask to him
    As I already told you he is really so much confident but still we did not get our desire result.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Spice up your IM conversations. New, colorful and animated emoticons. Get chatting! MSN India - MSN Messenger - Have fun with emoticons

| | | | | Inbox

Get the latest updates from MSN
    Home | My MSN | Hotmail | Groups | Search | Messenger
    Feedback | Help
    © 2007 Microsoft TERMS OF USE Privacy Statement Anti-Spam Policy
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Mar 5, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Mani...
    First, you have submitted your question in the wrong place - not many people will see it here. Try re-posting it under the topic "Alternative Medicine" and not under someone else's question - many more people will see and respond to it.

Secondly, your brother's case seem very complicated. Although it can be beneficial to get advice on this forum, you need to rely primarily on his doctor's advice - that is, the doctor who has actually seen and examined your brother - anybody who hasn't examined him will only be guessing. If possible, get a second opinion from another medical doctor in your area before committing to any surgery.

Lastly, I am not a big fan of homeopathic medicine - but that is my opinion. I believe what good they can do is limited and I doubt they can correct ankylosing spondylitis or severe hip degeneration with a pill or potion. Be sure and let any medical doctor you see know that your brother is also receiving homeopathic treatment - since some of those treatments can negatively interact with real medicines or cause such things as prolonged bleeding (which could be disastrous during any surgery). Good luck...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Advice on Giving Advice [ 16 Answers ]

Hey all! I have a slight dilemna and I'd like it if you guys and gals can help me out. I have two friends who are in a relationship together, but things have become kind of rocky between them. The problem is that they are both my friends so they both confide in me and ask for advice. At present...

I need your advice... Really sad [ 57 Answers ]

Hi everyone: I’m hoping that you guys/girls can give me some advice. I met a girl and we dated for sometime, eventually becoming boyfriend/girlfriend. A few weeks ago, she went on vacation to her cottage and spent a lot of time alone, allowing her to reflect and think about what she wants. ...

I need advice... [ 9 Answers ]

I want my ex boyfriend back... we went out for a year... we broke up... because so much was wrong... we were fighting heaps you know... Its taken me half a year to realise I still really love him... he said I mean more to him than anyone else... because we lost our virginity to each other... ...

I need advice [ 15 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I am 17 years old. There's this 15 year old girl that love soooo much.We known each other for 1 and a half years now. She is a shyish girl with few friends, who reads a lot.She plays with her hair sometimes(only around me I noticed). She found out that I liked her during winter break...

Advice [ 4 Answers ]

I'm currently enrolled at the University of Iowa as an accoutning student. In grad school I will be getting a joint law degree with a masters in accounting because I want to be a tax attorney. Any advice on what else I should do outside of my basic course of action?

View more questions Search