Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grandma215 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

May 12, 2009, 01:06 PM
    Is reverse mortgages a good thing or not?
    My husband's health is not good and he is no longer able to work or discuss finances. Our house is paid for but it in great need of work and our bill total more than our social security checks. I was considering a reverse mortgage but have been told it is a bad choice. Do anyone know anything about it or had any experience with one? I need help.
    sandkicker Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Jun 10, 2009, 12:40 PM

A Reverse Mortgage in and of itself is neither good nor bad. If a Reverse solves your problem, then it's good, if not, then it's not so good. There are lots of fallacies about Reverse Mortgages and some TV "talking heads" are just plain wrong about them.

IF you can answer "yes" to all the following questions, then a Reverse Mortgage maybe a good thing. By the way, I do not lend in GA (only NJ) so what you do is of no benefit to me.
    1) Are you both 62 or older.
    2) Are you planning to live in this home as your primary residence for at least 3 years, preferably 5?

The "proceeds" of a Reverse Mortgage depend on the age of the youngest borrower. For a rough approximation, you can use 50% of the home's value. If the home needs major repairs, this may impact your benefits.

I would advise that you contact a Reverse Mortgage Counsellor (NOT AT REVERSE MORTGAGE LENDER OR BROKER). They can help you with this decision. Many counsellors charge for their services, with a legally mandated limit of $125. Some will do it for free. Many will defer payment of the counselling fee until loan close, and if the loan does not close, you will not be held liable for the fee. This counselling is Federally mandated. If you decide to get a Reverse Mortgage, you will have fulfilled this requirement.
    HECM Resources: Counselor State Information

The topic and decision process requires more information and discussion than can be done in this forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At home jobs good thing? Or a bad thing? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a two month old little girl, and a job I have had for almost 4 years. When I first found out I was pregnant my boss and I sat down and discussed my future with the company. We decided that after my maternity leave I would come back part time (20 hours) until January of 2009. I am now back...

What should we do? This is not a good thing. [ 9 Answers ]

OK. I have this friend who I've known for years and we both started our teen years about a few months ago. So far nothing has happened. But only about a week ago or so, and we started showing each other our privates. Me with my penis, and her with her breasts. We both don't know what to do, and we...

Reverse mortgages [ 2 Answers ]

I understand about reverse mortgage concept . But the newspaper mentioned "A consequence of this is that your heirs cannot expect to receive the worth of the house" If the mortgage was $50,000 but when you died the house was worth $100,000. Does The bank get the house, or just their...

Reverse Mortgages [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking into reverse mortgages and think I understand it very well, but I would like to hear from anyone who has had an experience with them either good or bad. Thank you.

View more questions Search