Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binx44 Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 88
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 10:52 AM

Ooo. Personally I think they do sleep but not in the way humans and animals do... how else could you explain things like seeds being able to go "dormant" for years at a time. :D

OOOOO... I'm so excited... I just have to say it.. I got it.. I got my student loan.. I'm going to college :D
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 26, 2009, 11:16 AM

Congratulations, binny, as I recall it was going to be something to do with Forestry, was it not ?

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 12:19 PM

Yes. I am going to become a conservation officer.. and I will be going to Maritime College of forest technology tick.. thanks :D
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post

I was wondering... Since our climate can fluxuate during the summer usually mid teens to mid to high twenties... up to low thirtys with the humidex. is there a specific strain of tomato that would grow better then others. And when ripe what are the tomatoes like? *some taste different, sweeter, you get what i mean i hope lol* and how big are they? I have a farm supply/animal feed/pet product store here that i think i might be able to find a few different kinds at
    I bet the guy at the store might know what's good for your climate. I always try a couple different varieties, just to see what happens.:)
    Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Fridays paper said that since we have had such cool weather in June...
    50-60 night 75-85 day that our toms will be about 2 weeks late this year.:(

Maybe this hundred degree weather will off set that.:)
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Jun 26, 2009, 01:30 PM
    B, I was able to cobble up this list of toms that do well from the 49th parallel on up.

Check with your farm supply if they can get them in for you.

Taste is subjective to the persons senses.
    Check here for detail, you may already know 'bout this; Seeds of Diversity - Canadian Tomato Cultivars

If you get a chance call or visit this fellow; novanewsnow.com > The Vine/Carla Allen > Growing Cape Island style

Not sure if its all-inclusive... k
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 26, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KUXJ View Post
    B, I was able to cobble up this list of toms that do well from the 49th parallel on up.

Check with your farm supply if they can get them in for you.

Taste is subjective to the persons senses.
    Check here for detail, you may already know 'bout this; Seeds of Diversity - Canadian Tomato Cultivars

If you get a chance call or visit this fellow; novanewsnow.com > The Vine/Carla Allen > Growing Cape Island style

Not sure if its all-inclusive.........k
    K... your awesome.. I apprechate it.. and no I have not ever heard anything on that site so I am going to take a look.. and I'll look into the fellow and maybe call him. I'm going tomorrow to check my farm supply shop to see what they can get and if I can't get what I want I'm pretty sure that I could find them online and order them :D Ohh don't you love the net

Jun 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
    Now I've heard... :rolleyes:... Eddie the pilot , that If your into cherry toms for salads or just a snack, you won't be able to keep up with the Scotia's

K
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 03:18 PM

We do have some good tomatoes lol...

Jun 27, 2009, 04:35 PM
    !.!.!.!TEST!.!.!.!THIS IS ONLY A TEST!.!.!.!TEST!.!.!.!

Saturday, June 27, 2009 from at least 20:00UTC : 16:00EDT

This has been a test of the AMHD Forum, even if this test is posted correctly it may still mean that the forum will still be experiencing technical difficulties until the all clear is given.

If that is the case you are instructed to use the PM system which still seems to be working.

!.!.!.!TEST!.!.!.!THIS IS ONLY A TEST!.!.!.!TEST!.!.!.!

End of test...
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2009, 08:06 PM
    It's 8:00 PM and still 100 degrees at my home:eek:

I was at K Mart today to get some flip flops for my husband and found a good sized 'Celebrity Hybrid' I bought it and put it far far away from the other tomatoes.

I pruned it according to the site that K provided, lets see what happens:rolleyes:

Jun 28, 2009, 03:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    It's 8:00 PM and still 100 degrees at my home:eek:

I was at K Mart today to get some flip flops for my husband and found a good sized 'Celebrity Hybrid' I bought it and put it far far away from the other tomatoes.

I pruned it according to the site that K provided, lets see what happens:rolleyes:
    That's Toasty, BB's 8pm was 79°F, now, at 7:00am 61.4°F with showers possible later.

Let's hope the virus isn't all through your yard. Hang in there Just Dahlia...

Hope is the thing with feathers
    That perches in the soul.
    And sings the tune
    Without the words,
    and never stops at all.

Emily D-i-c-k-i-n-son (1830 - 1886)

Emilys' probably "rollin' in her grave" ~ That's a shame the server won't let Bonafide names pass, hope it doesn't glitch on account of my "w-o-r-d p-l-a-y"

Received a note from curlyben 'bout yesterday's forum problem:

We had a "glitch" and lost :eek: about 90 minutes of posts, but it's fixed now.
    I'm trying to get to the bottom of it..

K

Jun 28, 2009, 07:06 AM
    ? Hungry ?

I just could not wait any longer!

With apologies to this Thread, and jmjoseph, His recipe found on page 10 I believe, and I used zucchini that my neighbor brought over :D

Everything except the plate is edible!
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 12:53 PM

K, aww so sad we lost that much of posting time.. got to admit that plate looks SOME yummy.. why can't I eat it lol :D. One food I've been trying to find out how to make is ruhbarb loaf (oo hope I spelt that right)

Jun 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by binx44 View Post
    K, aww so sad we lost that much of posting time.. got to admit that plate looks SOME yummy.. why can't i eat it lol :D. One food i've been trying to find out how to make is ruhbarb loaf (oo hope i spelt that right)
    This was Wednesday:
    Most users ever online was 5,543, Jun 24, 2009 at 12:04 PM.
    Like I said earlier, I suspect yesterday beat that.

Times a wastin' Girl! Take your pick:
    rhubarb loaf - Google Search

K
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 02:36 PM
    Everything on that plate looks great and now I'm hungry.:)

I never heard of rhubarb loaf, I have only used it in jams. What does it taste like?:confused:

It's 106 right now, had to come in from the back because the radio reminded me it wasn't safe to be working in the heat.:eek:
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 03:54 PM
    It's 110.2 right now :eek: and will be getting hotter for another hour!:eek:

I have no news besides that. I can't cook (too much heat for the house), can't paint {too many fumes (no windows open)}

I live my life outside and I can't even go there.:(

Jun 28, 2009, 04:56 PM
    :eek: 110.2° :eek:
    That is unreal!

You probably don't even feel like making anything.

But if you have fruits or veggies mix them with yogurt, ice cream or even salad dressing.

From the "It may sound strange department" I've been known to eat cold soup right out of the can. Just watch the ones like chicken noodle that has the fat still on top, pour it off and eat.
    Its still gives your body nourishment.

And heed those warnings! 'bout heat cramps, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke (also referred to as sunstroke). FEMA: Having A Heat Wave: Summer Is Here... Are You Prepared For Heat Emergencies?

The worst I ever experienced was July 3rd, 1962. It was 107° in Shamokin Pa. but then I was only 10 back then.

:cool:.............Stay cool...........:cool: ........k
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Well, I think that could be the worst for you and me too. We don't have any or much humidity here, so it's just hot hot hot.

In Chicago where I come from I wouldn't be able to handle 90 with the humidity:eek:

I can handle 100 or a little more for short amounts of time here.:)

It's 111.4 degrees right now!:eek: 5:40 PM

Jun 28, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Just be alert and careful.

I've been out in the yard this past week without a shirt and for the first time in a long while I got a mild sunburn on my back and shoulders... tingles a little bit, and the skin feels leathery or tight.

It sure feels good though when the DW puts the noxzema on. :)

I'm going to float around the site check back in a few... k

p.s... BB loves the heat here, and he's up to 14 toms, with more coming.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Growing Tomatoes [ 11 Answers ]

Last summer, my fiancé and I tried to grow some tomatoes and peppers. We were not very successful. Our tomatoes were so tiny. And hardly any peppers bloomed. Are we watering too much? Could it be the type of soil. Last year we had them in containers, this year we are hoping to grow them in...

Tomatoes are dying [ 6 Answers ]

My tomatoes plants are turning yellow starting from the ground and moving up. The leaves are yellow and curling. What is causing this and can they be saved. I water then at all different times but never after 6 p.m. I usually shower the entire plant. Also, one plant out of six is really bad...

Something eating my tomatoes [ 1 Answers ]

Something just started eating our tomatoes. We had several about to ripen, went out to pick today and most of them had been bitten into. I looked around and something had taken a bite out of half my maters.(Grrrrrrrrrr) Its not insects. There are areas where you can see teeth marks. I'm thinking,...

Cheap Tomatoes? What does this mean to you! [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure what my position is on this yet. But, I thought I would post it to spark a discussion and maybe help me formulate my opinion >From a California school teacher - - - "As you listen to the news about the student protests over illegal immigration, there are some things that you...

View more questions Search