Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aruran Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2003, 12:34 PM
    Surveys on Operating System
    Hello,

This is the first time I am sending a question :-[

Can you suggest me a good website for operating systems used and surveys of different kinds of them like some used in palm top computers, domestic PCs..
    jeffreytana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 03:48 AM
    Find anything?
    Please I also need some information about different Operating Systems, so can you please also help me if ever you find something about operating system... :p :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2005, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytana
    please i also need some information about different Operating Systems, so can you please also help me if ever you find something about operating system.... :p :)
    Try googling Operating systems. You should find plenty.

If you have any specific questions, please ask.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Windows
    Hi,
    Here is a good link to start with:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryIntro.mspx

It's a history of all the Microsoft Windows Systems, and their development.
    Best of luck.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Dec 12, 2005, 09:11 AM
    Howdy:

Follow Scott's advice and "google" for it.. Fredg gave you a link to only ONE possible OS manufacturers and there are piles more (which he probably found using a Google or search engine search! ).. A Google will give you those..

There are more Linux distros's out there than Windows as well as the MAC operating systems and DOS systems..

Google is your best bet here rather than JUST the single link given to you by Fredg..

Murray

Dec 12, 2005, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    fredg disagrees: Most using the web know how to use a search engine; they are asking us for specific help..Please try being more specific.
    Fred, really? The question posted was "need some information about different Operating Systems". This is asking for specific help? The only specifics was that he needed help with OSes!

And how do you support your statement about most people knowing how to use a search engine? If that was true, this site might as well close up. How many questions that are posted here could have been solved with a few minutes spent at a search engine?

As for my being specific, I was as specific as I could be given the vagueness of the question. I specified a search engine and a search phrase. What did you expect, that I give him links on every OS out there? What did you do, you linked to a history of one OS? How was that being specific or helpful?

No Fred, this seems just another example of your childish retaliations. I disapproved of your answer about the DMCA so you went looking for an answer of mine you could retaliate with.

I have reported this as an abuse of the ratings system.

Scott<>
    jeffreytana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 06:19 PM
    Thank you for the response...

To be specific I would like to have some sites/info (tabled info) about some summaries on comparisons about the latest operating systems of the known operating system manufacturers (like Microsoft, macintosh, etc.)

I've already been to a number of sites but still not found what I was looking for.

Hope that you will help me again... :p :)
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Can't read?
    Hi,
    Wow, two of the "20 years" members might want to read a little more closely. Part of my answer was: "Here is a good link to start with".
    Say, SESaskDFC, I don't see you giving every possible answer in any of your posts! It's not possible, but maybe you can find a way to do it.
    Seems as if these posts are more of "spite" posts than anything else.

Dec 13, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreytana
    thank you for the response....

to be specific i would like to have some sites/info (tabled info) about some summaries on comparisons about the latest operating systems of the known operating system manufacturers (like microsoft, macintosh, ect.)

i've already been to a number of sites but still not found what i was looking for.

hope that you will help me again.... :p :)
    Jeff,
    Ok that gives us more to go on. I found this site: http://www.osdata.com/ which has lots of info about different OSes. Its not in a side by side comparison, but it might help. Another similar site is: http://www.operatingsystems.net/.

I couldn't find an side by side comparison in a brief search, but try using compare operating systems as your search phrase and then dig past the pricing comparisons to see if you can find anything.

Dec 13, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Hi,
    Wow, two of the "20 years" members might want to read a little more closely. Part of my answer was: "Here is a good link to start with".
    Say, SESaskDFC, I don't see you giving every possible answer in any of your posts! It's not possible, but maybe you can find a way to do it.
    Seems as if these posts are more of "spite" posts than anything else.
    I did notice the "start with" but that just makes your rating worse. How can you give my answer a disagree when you did little more than I did. At least I suggested search phrase. What is he going to do once he finishes reading the link you gave.

As to it being spite ratings, that's your bag, Fred. Clearly your rating of my initial answer was a spite rating in retaliation of a disagree I gave an answer of yours elsewhere. Murray and my response here were in defense of our answers. Remember the adage about the pot calling the kettle black? That's something you seem to do very often.

Scott<>
    Ultra Member

Dec 13, 2005, 07:46 AM
    More specific
    Hey, ScottGem,
    Great work on giving more specific information to the Asker. I knew you could do it!
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 13, 2005, 08:12 AM
    Operating Systems
    http://www.computerworld.com/search/...h=10&lk=1&rf=1

Try this link to Computerworld.com. It has many articles about operating systems. If this does not get you what you want, you might need to check each OS site and make your own chart to compare with.

It might also help if you checked a forum dealing in computers and OS only like http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/ Hope you find the operating system you want. You might need to tell the forum exactly what you need and work with most. Good Luck.

There's something out there for everyone!

Dec 14, 2005, 06:38 AM
    Hey, ScottGem,
    Great work on giving more specific information to the Asker. I knew you could do it!
    Fred,
    When I have a specific question to deal with, I can do some research and come back with a more specific answer. But with a vague and general question I have to give more general advice. Which is why your disapproval rating was so off base and wrong.

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mac Operating System [ 3 Answers ]

Currently using Mac OS8.6... Is there a download available to OS 9

No Operating System [ 7 Answers ]

I have a IBM 390X laptop, and the computer has successfully completed the hard disk data wiping process. Al Data on the computer is now unrecoverable. The computer is designed for win98, and I have a CD Windows 98 Second Edition. What are the steps I need to take to get this computer working...

Uninstall 2nd operating system [ 3 Answers ]

Because my old scanner would not work under XP,I installed ME on the same drive as XP so as to use it. I now have a new scanner and wish to uninstall ME safely.It does not appear on the add/remove facility in Control Panel. Can it be done and how?

View more questions Search