Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidof6inch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Can a bare copper ground wire be exposed in wall?
    I recently purchased a home with an outdoor shed. I've started to remodel the shed and I noticed that the sub-panel was wired incorrectly. Neutral and ground were attached to the same bus, and there was no ground rod. I've purchased a new bus bar for ground and I am in the process of installing my ground rod. I'm running #6 bare copper from the ground bus to the ground rod. What is the appropriate path this should take?

The panel is installed in one of the walls and my goal is to insulate with fiberglass batts and drywall. Right now I have the wire coming out the bottom of the panel box and going straight down through a hole in the sole plate. Can I insulate around a bare copper wire? Should I use conduit?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 01:31 PM
    The #6 can be stapled along wood framing members 12 " from connector in panel and every 4.5 feet to the point it exits to the outside.

Outdoor it can be strapped the same on the exterior, unless it can be subjected to physical damage, such as lawn mower, etc.. Then conduit is needed, PVC is fine.

Conduit may make it look better, unless it is not exposed much.

Yes you can insulate as normal around it.
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 12, 2009, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    The #6 can be stapled along wood framing members 12 " from connector in panel and every 4.5 feet to the point it exits to the outside.

Outdoor it can be strapped the same on the exterior, unless it can be subjected to physical damage, such as lawn mower, etc.. Then conduit is needed, PVC is fine.

Conduit may make it look better, unless it is not exposed much.

Yes you can insulate as normal around it.
    I agree!

Just a quick compliment to TK. I admire your precise answers and Unproblematic way of presenting them!!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 02:12 PM
    Thank you.

No applause

Just throw money.

Seriously, just been doing this so long, run across many situations in this business ,doing inspections, trying to stay ahead of inspectors, analyzing installations for commissioning, laying out work per code, and so on, just gets to be second nature.

Not a lot of fun at parties, I am the quiet one at the bar, sipping scotch all night, finish the bottle, and walk out straight, and then go do a exterior lighting survey.

And where have you been, young man? Good to see your back!
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

May 12, 2009, 07:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Thank you.

No applause

Just throw money.

Seriously, just been doing this so long, run across many situations in this business ,doing inspections, trying to stay ahead of inspectors, analyzing installations for commissioning, laying out work per code, and so on, just gets to be second nature.

Not a lot of fun at parties, I am the quiet one at the bar, sipping scotch all nite, finish the bottle, and walk out straight, and then go do a exterior lighting survey.

And where have you been, young man? Good to see your back!
    I've been around. Just keeping myself occupied with trying to gain more work for my company.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 13, 2009, 04:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by davidof6inch View Post
    I recently purchased a home with an outdoor shed. I've started to remodel the shed and I noticed that the sub-panel was wired incorrectly. Neutral and ground were attached to the same bus, and there was no ground rod.
    While a grounding electrode is always required at a detached structure with a panel, it may very well be wired correctly.

There is a situation that a 3-wire feeder is/was legal and the sub-panel gets wired just like a main panel, with the neutral and grounds on the same bar(s) and the neutral bonded to the panel.
    There are a few stipulations that made this legal but it was very common for quite a while.

IF a 4-wire feeder was run then yes, you do have to wire it with the grounds and neutrals isolated.
    davidof6inch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 09:02 AM
    As long a '4-wire feeder' means 2 hots (red & black), a neutral, and a ground... that's what I got. I'm still a beginner when it comes to the correct terminology.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 13, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by davidof6inch View Post
    As long a '4-wire feeder' means 2 hots (red & black), a neutral, and a ground... that's what I got.
    Then you are absolutely correct. It is wired wrong.

Good call. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Current in Ground wire in wall sockets [ 8 Answers ]

I live in delhi india and around 2 years back moved into an apartment where I got the rewiring done. It seemed OK until the aircon switch in the voltage stabiliser kept burning up and had a foul odour. So I read up on it and checked polarities and it was reversed. But in the wall socket...

Bare copper wire; [ 3 Answers ]

Bare copper wire; Why do we use bare copper wire for grounding, why not all insulated?

Bare ground in box [ 3 Answers ]

Quick question... When one is running the ground out of a sub panel to the ground rod, does it matter if the bare ground wire is touching the panel box? Some have told me that it does matter if the bare copper ground is touching the panel box . But I ask them how hell your suppose to run the...

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Is it okay to use bare wire as neutral? Okay to share ground? [ 53 Answers ]

Our house was built in 2003 and it came with a GE 24" microwave oven that uses 120 volts/20 Amp. The microwave stops working so we went out and bought a KitchenAid convection microwave oven that requires 20 Amp, 240 volts, 60 Hertz. The old microwave oven uses 12/2 w/g romex from a subpanel. ...

View more questions Search