Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kitty149 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2009, 04:00 AM
    My Older Kitten hates my new Young Kitten.
    Hello Everyone,

Im hoping someone can help me. I have a 5month old kitten at home who is usually very affectionate and loving (also spayed) Yesterday I rescued a 9 week old kitten so my eldest would have some company when I'm out at work.

I knew they wouldn't get on great at first but my eldest seems to hate my new one, she hisses and growls non stop at her, she has pawed at her about 3 times - her back doesn't arch and no heckles or busy tail just generally noisy towards her.

My new one isn't fazed at all but the eldest seems really upset by it all, I have separated them and haven't let the new on intrude on the eldest bed etc...

What else can I do to ensure they will get on, was I worng to give the newbie a couple of my kittens old toys she no longer plays with?

They are both female.

Please help!

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 12, 2009, 04:04 AM

Your older female is just ascertaining her tennancy in your home over the young one. It is normal behavior. How else is she going to let the new cat know where it belongs in the pecking order.

Cats are resilient, they will eventually get along well enough in time. Just let it happen naturally, easily without too much interference and it will be a harmonious household again.

Regards

Tick
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 04:08 AM

I know this doesn't help now as the damage is done but the best way to introduce new animals to each other is through a doorway... put a wire grate over the door so they can't get to each other but they can come up toit and sniff each other but still have their own personal space...
    Eventually you are able to remove the wire and they are more used to each others presence.

Like Tick said, only time will tell with this one really :)
    Akoue Posts: 1,098, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 04:13 AM

Tickle is exactly right. This will take a little time. Females are generally more hesitant with other females than with males, but they will work things out. The best thing you can do is to be patient and supervise them until they work out their own dynamic.

I don't think you did anything wrong giving the little one a couple of toys. Let the older kitten see that you accept the new one; be affectionate to both; and watch over their interactions.

You did a good thing by giving a home to the 9wk. Old. Things will calm down over the next few days.

May 12, 2009, 05:19 AM
    Okay thanks everyone!

I just want to make it easier on the eldest, the new one is really laid back and just ignores everything!

SO should I try and introduce them through some wire - maybe the kitty carrier and also should I keep them separate over night? This would mean the newbie sleeping in the spare room which is the eldests room with her bed and toys and amd then my eldest could sleep in my bedroom?

Thanks - Kitty!
    Expert

May 12, 2009, 05:23 AM

I wouldn't suggest a kitty carrier, you don't want to separate her from her kitty litter. No, I wouldn't keep them separate over night, they will separate themselves naturally enough you will find.

Tick

May 12, 2009, 05:29 AM

So if I leave all the doors open on a night then they have an option to go where they like, my eldest likes to sleep at the end of my bed anyway.

Also should I get a bed for the little one? My eldest sleeps I'm hers all the time so I don't want the newbie stealing her bed.

Thanks again tick!

Kitty
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 06:48 AM

No, my suggestion was only for first meeting... by wire I meant separating the kitten in a whole room of its own but with wire mesh across the doorway.

They will either become friends eventually or the kitten will learn to stay away from your older cat... either way things will setlle down eventually.

Getting them both spayed when they are a little older will help with being aggressive as well.

May 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
    My eldest has been spayed already.

Ill see how things go, I was just unsure about whether I should get the new kitten a new bed etc... so the eldest won't feel like she's taking her stuff or do I make them share?
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 07:30 AM

Nooo, get them all separate things, get a new bed and some new toys.
    They should be fine sharing a litter tray but yes, beds should definitely be separate until they get to know each other better :)
    lucytwo2 Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2009, 02:48 PM

I have 3 cats and the way I introduced them was when I brought the 2nd cat home I kept her in a room all by her self for a week.Yes,a week.That way the 1st cat could smell her and she knew another cat was in the house.After a week I traded their spots and put 1st cat in the room where the 2nd cat had been and then let the 2nd cat have the run of the house so she could smell the other one and that way they both knew that another cat was in the house.So then after 2 weeks just let them introduce themselves to each other their way.Dont put them together yourself.Let them find each other.It also worked good for a 3rd cat.You just keep them separated and they will smell the other cats and are more likely to accept them.

May 14, 2009, 01:25 AM
    Thanks,

They have already beem introduced, its slowly getting better, this morning they were chasing each other around the house, my eldest is obviously faster and kepy pinning the little on down, it looked like they were playing but there was a lot of squeeking going on, I just left them to it, my little one keeps going back for more so she can't be hurting her!

Also the little one keeps sneezing, should I be worried or is this okay? Also she makes a squeeky sound, quite like a guniea pig what is this? I've never had a kitty so young before!

Thanks for your help!

Kitty
    Expert

May 14, 2009, 03:25 AM

The squeaky sound is an underdeveloped meow. I would get that sneezing pinned down, you don't want upper respiratory infections setting in. Don't mean to alarm you but some young kittens don't have their immune systems set up properly yet, that is why distemper is such an issue with them. You don't know how long it was with its mother nursing. Keep a close eye on the little thing. You might have to get it some rest at some point. Kittens don't know when to stop.

Tick

May 14, 2009, 03:35 AM

Okay, ill get her booked into the vets for a check up, I don't want her being ill.

I rescued her from the RSPCA, she was the last of that litter so not sure how long she had been away from her mother. Best think I can do is get her checked over I think.

So are the two of them playing or are they fighting? I can't tell!

Thanks Tickle

Kitty
    ladyvamp77 Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Oct 31, 2009, 07:03 AM
    My older cat was also the same when our kitten arrived, but they are now best of friends, just give them a little time x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My older cat will not accept my new kitten! [ 5 Answers ]

Ive recently rescued a naughty tortie from the cats protection league, she has settled in very well, but my 12 year old tortie will not accept her atall, she hisses every time she sees the kitten, and then makes her self sick... we had to take her to the vets last night as she was acting strange,...

I think my very young cat is having problems delivering kitten [ 2 Answers ]

Need advice on helping cat give bith, she's just laying down and conrtracting a pushing for over 12 hrs now, last night around 10pm she had a small bubble sack hanging out and it popped and that was the end of that, Is a kitten stuck in her canal what can I do to help?

My new kitten Hates my other kittens! [ 3 Answers ]

Yesterday, meowing outside my firescape was a kitten. I think he's at least 6 months old and have no idea how he got there or where he came from but I fell in love with him at first sight. I brought him inside and he seemed right at home. After a hour he was running around, playing with toys and...

Kitten suckling young dog [ 7 Answers ]

This is a new one to me since I've never had a kitten before. Our new kitten is 9 weeks old and is suckling our 11 month old retriever. The kitten was young when we got her (6 weeks) and I know she was comforted by the suckling. The dog is not bothered by this, but aside from losing hair on her...

Will my older kitten ever be nice to my new kitten? [ 5 Answers ]

I have never had cats before. I adopted a male neutered kitten who is now 11 weeks old. Today, I adopted a 7 week old male neutered kitten, as a companion. I didn't realize the size difference would be so great until I got my new kitten home. 4lbs vs. 1.2lbs. My older cat seems to want to play, but...

View more questions Search