Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MJDisneyDork Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Ending cold symptoms for singing
    I have to record a demo in a week!! My sister was coughing non-stop without covering her mouth (I could hit her! Lol) and now I got a cough and soar through. I know to take a lot of vitamine c. but what I really want is advice from SINGERS!! People that know how to get rid of the swollen sinus's and throat... get rid of congestion in the lungs... I need advice from singers because anyone can tell me to take cold medicine to HELP symptoms.. but I need advice to help clear things out completely to help me sing my best. Anyone got any answers :(
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:30 PM

My ex wife is a professional singer, and in that end, there is no magic cure for colds. You rest, you get medication from the doctor or over the counter, and you sing sick as a dog at times.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 10:19 PM

Hi, MJDisneyDork!

One of the things that I do is that I'm both a professional singer as well as voice teacher.

If things in the throat are red and swollen, such as the vocal folds, then putting some ice in towels and applying to the outside of the throat can be helpful to add notes and to be able to sing notes that are encumbered by the swelling.

When there is nasal drip or blockage caused by mucus, then applying something very warm to the outside of the throat can be helpful to loosen things up. Sipping on hot water or tea can also help. Best to not be ingesting something with sugar in it, though. That can gum things up.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 10:30 PM

A few things that I forgot to add, would be that I would suggest doing as little talking as possible until the recording session and also a couple of days rest entirely from talking and singing would probably be a good idea. Also, staying out of the wind and rain would be good as well as getting plenty of rest in bed. If you've already well-prepared yourself for your recording session, then you don't need to be over-doing anything.

If you haven't been to a physician for what's happening, then I would suggest going to one. Since there is congestion in your lungs, then a medication prescribed for that might help.

Thanks!
    MJDisneyDork Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Thanks you guys very much. I found out that I actually had the flu so symptoms got pretty extreme but a few of these things such as lots of rest and not talking too much.. it still helped a lot but I still didn't get to record.. but.. that can be expected and part of the business sometimes right? Lol. Thanks so much for the advice and I will log it away for future use :D you guys are awesome.
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 04:08 PM

Thank you, MJDisneyDork! I'm sorry that you didn't get to record!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If You're Into Men Singing. [ 12 Answers ]

If you're into men singing barbershop style music or otherwise, then please click on the following two links for a couple of videos that will blow you away! If you view them, would you please let me know what you think of them? :) Thanks! YouTube - Westminster Chorus 2007 Strike Up The...

Singing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 13 years old and I look younger than my age.I don't think my voice sounds mature for my age.I happen to sound baby-like when I sing it tends to bring down my confidence.So now every time I sing its hard for me to believe I have a good voice. Everyone I have ever sang to though said I had a...

What is the name and who's singing [ 3 Answers ]

This song was playing at the end of a movie during the credits. Every now and then I get a clue Every now and then I feel the need Every now and then lightning finds you And turns your darkness into dreams Every now and then I think about you Every now and then tears roll by Every now and...

Singing Bug [ 3 Answers ]

Here's to a GREAT DAY click here below click here: SINGING BUG

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

View more questions Search