Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robersons Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Surface Area and Volume
    I am supposed to type a two and a half page paper on what surface area and volume is used for in many occupations. I have started on it and don't think I can go into enough detail to make it as long as it is supposed to be. What should I do?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 08:21 PM

There's a huge number of items for which surface area and volume are important. Most food companies make tin cans and paperboard boxes. They try to maximize volume while minimizing surface area to keep costs low. Of course, they also try to make the box appear large and they want to sell as little as possible. These goals compete.

Surface area is important in construction. Roofs are shingled using surface area calculations. Homes are insulated and the loss of heat is proportional to the surface area of the house -- and specifically to the surface area of the windows (since they are the biggest losses) relative to the rest of the house. Of course, you want to maximize volume while minimizing cost -- and hence surface area.

Airplanes - surface area of the wings gives it lift. Volume of the airplane is the cargo (people, freight, etc). You need to maximize volume while minimizing weight. But, you also need the area of the wings to give it lift.

There are a huge number of things that use surface area and volume. Use your imagination.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Surface area and volume of hexagonal prisms? [ 6 Answers ]

:oCould someone please tell me the formula for finding the volume and surface area of a hexagonal prism? My entire PROBE class is confused! Please help!Thanks! :o

Hexagonal surface area and volume [ 5 Answers ]

How to calculate the surface area and volume of a hexagonal prism?

Volume and surface area of octagon [ 2 Answers ]

If a shape of pool will be octagon and perimeter is 480 feet and height is 5feet what's the surface area and volume?

Surface area and volume of truncated hexagon [ 1 Answers ]

How do we get the surface area and volume of a truncated hexagon... Ps.. don't make it too complicates.. because, I'm only in grade 9... Tnx..

Volume and surface area [ 1 Answers ]

A cylindrical can is to have the area of its curved surface equal to thesum of the areas of its base and its top. What must be the relation between the height and diameter of this can?

View more questions Search