Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ssjjookktt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
    My lawn mower is not starting when I accidentally mixed fuel in the oil tank?
    i thought my lawn mower was running out of gas so i was refilling the fuel, but i accidentally put the fuel in the oil filter. so i drained out oil and filled the new oil and fuel. but my lawn mower is not starting. and when i accidentally poured the fuel in the oil tank, it leaked down from somewhere but not sure. and it is still leaking a little but stopped. my lawn mower is still not starting. and its only been few months since i replaced it. please help. Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 02:58 PM

Lets approach this the same way as oil in gas.

Take the plug out
    Spray carb cleaner in the plug hole
    Hold a rag over plug opening
    Crank engine; Do it until it's relatively clear
    Get a New spark plug
    Check for spark (attach, but hold with wood to block and pull starter); Look foe spark.

If spark, install plug.

Place some carb cleaner in air horn.

Try to start lawn mower.
    caryb Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

May 14, 2009, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ssjjookktt View Post
    i thought my lawn mower was running out of gas so i was refilling the fuel, but i accidentally put the fuel in the oil filter. so i drained out oil and filled the new oil and fuel. but my lawn mower is not starting. and when i accidentally poured the fuel in the oil tank, it leaked down from somewhere but not sure. and it is still leaking a little but stopped. my lawn mower is still not starting. and its only been few months since i replaced it. please help. Thank you
    If you put GAS where the OIL Goes, 1: DRAIN The OIL Completely... Into a Pan to put in a Jug later. Leave OIL PLUG OUT, Add 1/2 Quart Of NEW OIL, Let IT Run OUT.. Replace OIL Plug.. Add New OIL To Fill Spot On STICK and Replace OIL Stick.

2; Remove Spark Plug. (Gas might pour out of spark plug hole so be careful).
    3. Add Half a Quart Where the OIL Goes.. 4. Leave Plug OUT.. 5.. Turn Over Engine a few seconds as some vapor of gas will blow out... (NOTE* Make SURE Spark Plug WIRE Is NOT near Any Metal for at least 2 inches to Avoid a SPARK ) 6. Once Spark Plug Hole is Clear, Wipe Plug.. Dry, Check Gap. REPLACE Plug, Tighten a bit... And Check GASOLINE Level, SET CHOKE ON... and Turn Engine Over- Should Start.. If It Does, Don't Run Too Fast at first, only for a minute or less. Stop Engine- Check OIL LEVEL, Set Choke and Start. It Should Run and CLEAR up and Run OK.. [email protected]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel pump location on craftsman 18.5hp riding lawn mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have the above listed riding lawn mower (just purchased) and was told it needs a fuel pump. Would anyone know where the fuel pump is located on this? I looked and traced the fuel hoses, but can't seem to find anything that resembles the replacement fuel pump I have. The model number is...

Full tank of fuel. Engine cranks w/o starting [ 6 Answers ]

Vehicle was low on fuel. Filled tank. Then attempted to start but all engine would do is crank without firing.

Lawn mower fuel pump [ 1 Answers ]

Is an electric fuel pump available to replace the diaphram pump on a 12.5 b&s engine?

Starting a lawn mower after 2 years [ 3 Answers ]

I have a basic 21" 4hp walk behind mower . MTD purchased at Home Depot. It has been sitting indoors for 2-2.5 years with some fuel inside. It does turn over but doesn't even cough. Any reasonable way to start it?

View more questions Search