GFCI circuitry constantly checks for a difference in current between the
    A. ground and neutral
    B. river and stream
    C. hot and neutral
    D. hot and ground
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2009, 02:17 PM

So what class are you taking that presents this question, home inspector?
    mjskilz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    so what class are you taking that presents this question, home inspector?
    Yes sir, I am looking to get into the field
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 03:03 PM

I don't like the question because it's ambiguous.

If changed to "In 120 VAC GFCI's, the circuitry checks for a difference in current between"...

Then it makes more sense.

It also checks that ground is not shorted to neutral at or past the device.

Note, I didn't answer the question.

For 240 GFCI's the question makes absolutely no sense at all and that's the reason for the clarification. A 240 VAC GFCI would be found when wiring a SPA.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 11, 2009, 03:36 PM
    Why would you post this question? Are you simply looking for someone to give you the answers?

Don't you have teachers/professors/books to teach you this??
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    Why would you post this question? Are you simply looking for someone to give you the answers?

Don't you have teachers/professors/books to teach you this???
    Y'know, I have never quite understood the reluctance of some of the 'Experts' in this forum to answering questions posed by someone who may or may not be a student or apprentice.

Seriously -- Surely those of us who have gone through a 4 or 6 year apprenticeship and then sat for our Journeyman/Masters competency exams didn't amass all of that information without having to ask a question or two of our own.

May 11, 2009, 08:19 PM

I understand your position here but here is what I think about questions like this, the person asking just want to know A,B,C,or D and does not want any understanding of how something works. When I was an instructor that always chapped my hide. My guess it's a troll because no tests would give the example you see in B.
    Uber Member

May 11, 2009, 08:23 PM

Growler:

I depends on how the question is asked. That one isn't asked properly;

If it was I want to become an inspector and I'm having a problem understanding GFCI's. Here is one of the questions:
    ... I think the answer is 10, but I'm not sure. Can you help.

I want people to learn and to be able to think and not told what the answer is.

May 11, 2009, 08:30 PM
    *edit- Not being redundant. KISS posted while I was typing.*

I understand your position here but here is what I think about questions like this, the person asking just want to know A,B,C,or D and does not want any understanding of how something works. When I was an instructor that always chapped my hide. My guess its a troll because no tests would give the example you see in B.
    Exactly.

This site must be linked somewhere to these home inspector web sites. We get these questions a LOT. And exactly like Ballengerb said, they just want the answer, not the knowledge.
    And to add insult to this, they simply post the question as written. Like saying, "Hey. Give me the answer!"

Growler, if someone came on here and said "I am studying to become an XYZ tradesman. I am unsure of how GFI's work. Can you help me to understand them?" That's different. They are being upfront and honest.

Sorry, the "answer my test question" type posts bug the crap out of me.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 08:33 PM
    I understand your position here but here is what I think about questions like this, the person asking just want to know A,B,C,or D and does not want any understanding of how something works. When I was an instructor that always chapped my hide. My guess its a troll because no tests would give the example you see in B.

Regarding answer "B" it was a play on the words current, river and stream.

I use similar throwaway answers when crafting exams for my Code Compliance classes.

It's a good way to find out who's paying attention during the lecture and the chuckles and guffaws during the exam help to lighten the atmosphere.

May 11, 2009, 08:41 PM

Ok I guess I have to qualify my stand, no publisher created exam, copywrited will have this type of question. I have done consulting work for several publishers and they spend a fortune on data analysis and there are no throw a ways on their stuff.
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 08:51 PM
    Ok I guess I have to qualify my stand, no publisher created exam, copywrited will have this type of question. I have done consulting work for several publishers and they spend a fortune on data analysis and there are no throw a ways on their stuff.
    >shrugs<

'Lectricity is just magic coming out of the walls as far as I'm concerned, Bob (and Growler fears magic).

Perhaps it would be best if I just staggered on back to the Plumbing forum, eh?:)
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 06:45 AM
    The general consensus here at Ask Me Help Desk regarding homework is stated here:

Ask Me Help Desk - Announcements in Forum : Homework Help

Depending on how the question is asked, how detailed the question is, and what sweat-equity may be apparent, will result in the responses the post will get.

As shown by some of the posts here, electricians can be a moody bunch, me included.

We will help anyone that shows a true interest in any topic.

Simply posting a mutiple choice question just does not cut it.

Hopefully mjskilz gets back with what is thought to be a logical answer to his/her homework question, and let the discussions begin.

So much can be learned.
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 07:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    As shown by some of the posts here, electricians can be a moody bunch, me included.
    "Moody" doesn't even begin to describe the tone of some of the replies in this thread.

Y'know, if the question was as egregious as y'all make it out to be, then why didn't the person who took the time to move it from the Plumbing forum (where I originally stumbled upon it) to the Electrical forum simply remove the question altogether?

Or better yet -- Simply ignore it?
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 07:56 AM

Probably benefit of the doubt and a newbie poster.

Hey, a good discussion can come out of a question, but not the way it was asked. It looks like a test on a homework problem, but there is no evidence of any "sweat equity".

I don't even like the question. It's too ambiguous bacause of what I know.

In general when I took andvanced classes BEFORE a beginner's class in a subject my answers were indeed right, but not the right answer that the teacher expected.
    I could explain myself and get the answer changed. But, in this case it's the best answer, but the question is ambiguous.

If I reworded the question as "In a 240 VAC circuit where there is a neutral current flowing, a GFCI"...

Then none of the answers are correct.

There is lots of room for discussion.

So, does the OP want to "learn how to think" or "Told what to think"?

Learning: http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM1851.pdf#page=1

Now can the OP answer the question?

May 12, 2009, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by iamgrowler View Post
    "Moody" doesn't even begin to describe the tone of some of the replies in this thread.
    "Doesn't even begin..." ? Wow.

You obviously do not work in the real world if you think this thread is "moody". You haven't seen a bad mood yet.

TK, that you for that link from Curly. I never saw that before. That needs to be a stick at the top here as well.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2009, 03:15 PM

The GFI will trip if there is a slight difference in current between the line and the "grounded" conductor,(not the grounding conductor). Sure hope this helps.

May 12, 2009, 05:55 PM
    HowStuffWorks "How does a GFCI outlet work?"
    mjskilz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 12:15 PM
    Thanks for the response, I found the answer I needed
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 13, 2009, 01:14 PM
    So much for discussion.

Glad you got your answer.

This homework thread is closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Wood Furnace and Fan Control Circuitry [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, I recently purchased a house with an old Jensen wood furnace in the basement (I think Jensen was bought out by Ashley at some point). The system is connected to the oil furnace plenum and has a draft fan for the fire box, a distribution fan for pushing the warm air into the ductwork, a...

30amp GFCI to 50amp GFCI [ 1 Answers ]

I have a square D panel box with 200 amp service coming into the house. I have a square D 30 amp double pole gfci breaker that was put in last year for a hot tub. I am now getting a new hot tub, and it requires a 50amp gfci breaker. The 30amp currently in place says type/tipo HOM. It is...

When adding a GFCI disconnect for hottub, should I replace GFCI in service panel? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a hottub now but without a disconnect. Its simply a 6/3-50 amp wire that runs from the hottub to a 50amp GFCI inside the house main service panel. I want to install a disconnect 5-10 feet from the hottub. I bought a disconnect box that already has a GFCI inside of it. Should I have bought...

Cut off GFCI Now what! [ 1 Answers ]

So I cut off the GFCI switch on my A/C unit! It was blowing too often. I am only going to be running it while we are home, and have it hooked to a circuit breaker, but I can't figure out how to rewire it for the life of me. It has bare wires located next to the positive and negative wires. Where do...

Collision detection circuitry in the IEEE 802.3 network cards [ 2 Answers ]

I need to find out whether the Collision detection circuitry in the IEEE 802.3 network cards is either analogue or digital. An explanation of whatever the answer is would help.

View more questions Search