Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ybbob45 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2003, 12:39 PM
    Removing xp
    I want to remove xp and install me back on my system for a couple months, how do I go about it
    Thanks
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 14, 2003, 10:32 PM
    removing xp
    Hmm...

I think there is a way to uninstall xp and "return" you system to a ME installation, but if you have ME and XP discs you should be able to do it manually.

Just try booting from your ME discs. I haven't installed ME from discs before, but I assume there is a "start from scratch" option that will remove xp from your disk.

If that doesn't happen/work, here's how to wipe out xp manually. I'm not responsible if it messes things up :)

First, if you are using the NTFS filesystem (if XP was preinstalled this is probably what you have) the following procedure may not work.

1) Get a DOS boot floppy. Probably the fastest way would be to make a "startup disk" on a win98 or ME computer.
    2) Boot from the disk and run FORMAT C:
    You will lose all data on you windows "C" drive
    --OR--
    Boot from the disk, run FDISK, and repartition the disk
    Note that you will lose all data on your partition(s)
    Also please note that if you bought a pre-built system from a manufacturer, you may have a "special" setup that can make either of these steps cause undesired results. You have been warned :)
    3) Now boot from you ME CDs and it should install.

Hope this helps...
    ~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing Birthmark [ 7 Answers ]

I have a birthmark under my eye that I want removed, I wanted to try Liquid Nitrogen, would this be a good solution? If not, what else can I use without having laser surgery.

Help with Removing Hedges! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. It's springtime and that means outdoor landscaping. Does anyone know an easy way of removing mature hedges that are about 4feet high and 20 feet long without using chains and a pickup truck? Thank you. Norm

Removing Pipes [ 5 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathtub in my home. The water spout just keeps spinning on the pipe nipple. I was going to replace the pipe nipple but it looks like both ends have major corrosion going on. I cannot unscrew the nipple from the tee fitting. Any suggestions on loosening these parts so I can...

Removing this... Checking here before I do... [ 7 Answers ]

Virs scanner says that "vpnpoatq" is a virus but can't remove it manually or ny the virus scanner and sybot don't see it as spyware. I did a check on Google and other searches but came up with nothing Anyone know what "vpnpoatq" is and how I can get rid of it if possible? Thanks

Removing Symantec... [ 3 Answers ]

I've tried to reinstall Nortons 2003 and I got an error, it's looking for the orton Aniti Virus LABEL (whatever that is, thinking it's the original CD) but I have this burned copy of Nortons that I just in case I misplace or break the original copy (with I happen to do), no I can't reinstall the...

View more questions Search