Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenny2b Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 08:35 AM
    7 yr. old mom confused about daughters sexuality
    I caught my 7 yr. old daughter kissing with another little girl help I'm really freaked out because I don't trust her anymore with anybody I don't know if there's counseling for this type of behavior please someone HELP? :confused: :eek:;) :o
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

May 11, 2009, 08:43 AM

Why does she need counseling?

She's SEVEN, and has probably seen a bajillion Disney movies that show people kissing, not to mention whatever else she's seen (like... prime time tv) that has kissing happen.

Instead of freaking out, you could try ASKING her why she was kissing her friend. It may just be that both of them wondered what a kiss was like, and hey--they could BOTH find out by kissing each other!

Either way--YOU need counseling more than she does if you see this as that big of a deal.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 11:48 AM

Yes, there are many counselors that can help you deal with your homophobia. I suggest seeking one.
    Squiffy78 Posts: 20, Reputation: -2

May 16, 2009, 06:38 AM

Domt worry about it, it doesn't mean she is going to be a lasbian when she is older (not that it should matter if she was!) its just curiousity. She probably has no concept of sexualtiy at the moment.
    AuntSwee Posts: 131, Reputation: 19

May 18, 2009, 12:08 AM

What is wrong with people they are just children!! Curiosity is very normal. When Adults make a big deal and freak out is when children start having problems. Talk to her on her level and ask her what they were doing, and just explain to her that a kiss on the cheek is OK, but kissing is for adults not children. My girls did that at age 6 and 7 both are married and one is expecting her first baby. Did I freak out and punish them NO. A 7 year old does not understand sexuality.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2009, 12:21 AM

Listen to what everyone has said.
    If you freak out on her now it will totally send her the wrong message. She needs to be able to feel comfortable talking to you. If she can't even talk to you about what is just normal curiosity now she'll never be able to talk to you about all of the really important things she's bound to go through later.
    Meredith1978 Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

May 19, 2009, 06:08 AM

Most girls I know have done this, My first kiss was a girl because I was too nervous to kiss a boy, my best friend said she'd teach me... I think I was 9 or so. It wasn't really sexual, it was a matter of trust, if I did it wrong, I figured she'd tell me instead of embarrassing myself when I kissed my first boy. In hindsight she couldn't kiss either it was pretty awful but she is straight, I'm married with a houseful of kids... really not a big deal.
    _rachel_ Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2009, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Yes, there are many counselors that can help you deal with your homophobia. I suggest seeking one.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA
    I agree ^^
    and anyway, seriously, she's 7
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 19, 2009, 10:12 PM

She is 7 years old. Get off her back. She is a child with innocent curiosity.

It is normal as playing doctor.

So yes you need to get counseling for yourself. You need it, because this is a major over reaction.
    Nestorian Posts: 978, Reputation: 152

May 19, 2009, 10:24 PM

TO the OP,

She is just learning about that part of her self, it's more of a concern when and if she starts to get curious about sex. You may consider looking up the operah site and finding out what the psychologist says on there about when children need the birds and the bees talk.

Even if she ends up liking girls not guys what's wrong with that? At least she wouldn't get pregnant in high school...

So be cool, and just keep an eye on her to make sure she doesn't move into other territory.

Peace be with you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2009, 10:38 PM

I agree with the others. After all, how many times has she seen adults kiss adults, adults kiss children, children kiss adults, children kiss children, animals kiss animals, the sun kiss the flowers in movies, cartoons, photos, illustrations, and in real life? Kissing is good. It means "I like you." Why not kiss her friend?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 21, 2009, 07:07 AM

Why don't you have a talk with her and ask her why she was kissing a girl?
    In a seven year olds mind she may have just been curious of what a kiss was like and too embarrassed to ask a guy or something.
    Ask her and then discuss kissing as something done between two people who really love each other in a special way more than friends. Tell her it is okay to give a guick simple kiss on the cheek occasionally like a mom and daughter but serious kisses aren't for friends.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2009, 02:14 PM

Relax. No big deal at 7 - curious age, they don't really understand sexuality at this age and are just doing things they've seen other people do.

If down the road you find that she, or any children you might have, show gay or lesbian tendencies, my advise is to support them with it. It's not a choice, and you can't parent sexuality into or out of a child. They are as God made them, and while parents sometimes try to stop their children from being homosexual with the idea that they will spare the children pain in the future (not fitting in, being rejected), actually they can find plenty of support and acceptance in the broader world. The biggest issue for many is lack of acceptance from family...

I am personally straight, but have had many gay friends during my life time. I've heard too many stories of near and attempted suicides due to rejection by parents, siblings, grandparents... it's nuts to do that to someone.
    TCHRbyTrade Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 08:01 AM

Children will be children. I wouldn't worry too much about her kissing another girl. They may just be imitating their parents' relationship while simply playing house. It would be too early for her to know if she is having lesbian tendencies. Besides if she does end up being a lesbian is that the worst thing that could happen? I would let kids be kids and if you see this happening around 13 or 14 then you can start to ask questions.
    kay84 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Well done
    kay84 Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2009, 09:05 AM

She's olny 7 she won't of even understud what kissing means and all kids do something's like that when there growning up 1 of mine I once sore her touch her boob and she cryed when she sore me but all I did was talk to her tell her she has done nothing wrong and explain what things mean that's all I did ? There bodies and minds are starting to change now . Be there if she has any questions or ask her if she has if you keep freaking on her she will not come to you for help when she needs it I had and still have a great relationship with my mum as I always could talk to her about anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Confused about sexuality [ 14 Answers ]

I am a 27 year old man. I have been struggling for the past few months with my sexuality. Growing up I was always attracted to women and masturbated regularly to women. In fact, until this confusion began, I always incredibly enjoyed masturbating to pictures of women and to straight...

Confused About Sexuality [ 58 Answers ]

Ok, so I'm 15 (16 in 2 weeks! Woo!) and I've always thought that I was completely straight. I read yaoi and things but I've never been attracted to a girl, but I've noticed while talking to a friend who is similar, I have a fascination about breasts! My group of friends always pretend to be...

Confused! About my sexuality [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 18 and I've been thinking about this for the last couple of weeks and its been driving me insane. When I was 7 my older (not sure what his age was, well after puberty tho) step-brother (who was my only friend) and I were hanging with some girls and one of them gave him oral sex, later, when...

Confused about my sexuality [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 18 and I recently told my parents that I'm gay, I would say that I've had homosexual fantasies since I was about 12/13, however up until about 17ish I also had some heterosexual desires, though much weaker than any homosexual desires. Up till I was 16 I went to an all boys school and knew...

Confused about my sexuality. [ 4 Answers ]

I am a 21 years old female who is very confused about my sexuality. I am always having crushes on older woman (by older I mean like in their 30-40). But I never think of having sex with them, all I want is to have them to hold me close, to kiss them, just to be around them. I recently having a...

View more questions Search