Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Puppette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 09:45 PM
    Teenage daughter and pregnancy
    Hello

My daughter is 17 and pregnant. Not to get into much detail, the father is not the type of person I want my Grandchild alone with nor his family.
    What should we do?
    Do we have to file for custody after the birth? Or will it be granted to my daughter? Do we has parents have rights since she is still legally a minor?
    Thank you in advance,
    Lynn
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 27, 2006, 06:47 AM
    In some places 17 may not be considered a minor in this instance. As parents you have very little rights with respect to custody. If the father does not relinquish his parental rights, then there is little you can do to block him from seeing his child. You can and should require that he pay child support unless he does relinquish his rights.

Your daughter will have custody, though the father can request and even force visitiation or even joint custody. Unless you can prove there is a danger to the child, its unlikely you can block it.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Custody will be hers unless the father fights her for it. Then it could be sticky. Of course, the mother always has an edge but nothing's guaranteed. As for visitation, it's not likely that you'll be able to deny the father that if he wants it. Your reasons for not wanting your grandchild around him or his family may be logical but the court's not going to see it that way unless you have overwhelming factual evidence to support that. As parents, no you have no rights, save for whatever Grandparent Rights your state may recognize if it even does, as your daughter, upon giving birth, would legally be emancipated.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    In some places 17 may not be considered a minor in this instance. As parents you have very little rights with respect to custody. If the father does not relinquish his parental rights, then there is little you can do to block him from seeing his child. You can and should require that he pay child support unless he does relinquish his rights.

Your daughter will have custody, though the father can request and even force visitiation or even joint custody. Unless you can prove there is a danger to the child, its unlikely you can block it.
    To expand on Scott's comments about child support, the father can be legally required to pay if your daughter sues him for it. However, keep in mind that if the father is a teenager himself, his resources for paying child support may be quite limited.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 11:34 AM
    I have one question, Does your daughter plan on putting the father on the birth certificate?

This could possibly keep him from visitation or custody unless he demands a paternity test. If she does not put him on the B/C however, she will not be able to collect child support from him.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 30, 2006, 11:42 AM
    I would be interested in your daughter's point of view and could you elaborate on the boyfriend and his family? Whether you like it or not he is still the father and will have certain rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I need help as far as treating a daughter like a daughter [ 11 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I am asking for help! I have a 33 year old daughter who it seems is always coming up with "why can't you treat me like a daughter should be treated, I have my own family and you just don't treat me like a daughter should be treated". What am I going to do here? I have been...

Teenage girls dating losers [ 20 Answers ]

I have heard from many parents that many teenage girls go through a phase where they get involved with boys who are losers and troublemakers. I'm worried that this will happen with my daughters. Do any other parents have any experience with this phase and advice other than not allowing dating...

Headaches in teenage girls [ 7 Answers ]

If my teenage girl is not getting enough sleep could it cause headaches? She only sleeps about 7 hours a night and sometimes less than that.

Teenage sexual orientation issues. [ 12 Answers ]

I'm a 15 year old female. I know that every teen these days questions their sexuality. Every one of them. Even if a male says "Wow, I am sooo straight. But what if I WAS gay? EW." Ya know? I've always liked girls, even since I was little. I was always a tomboy, too. This was because I knew...

Teenage stomach problems [ 2 Answers ]

My teenage daughter has been complaining about unusal problems. She often feels sick after eating. Her stools are also mushy (they don't stick together properly) and have large identifiable bits of food in them. I am afraid her stomach is not digesting her food properly or there is a dietary...

View more questions Search