Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

May 10, 2009, 05:39 PM
    Removing part of entry wall
    I want to tear out an interior wall that separates the dining room from the entryway. The wall is 9' long and I want to remove 6' of it leaving 3' by the front door for a small entry way. 3' from that wall is another wall with a hallway closet. Do I have to beef up the supporting beams or not?
    Zazonker Posts: 126, Reputation: 19
    -

May 10, 2009, 07:25 PM
    Well, there's not enough info here to answer your question - we don't know what the load is on the wall. My approach would be to remove the drywall from one side of the wall, and see what is inside. If there is just normal 16" studding, I'd guess that I'm dealing with a non-load bearing wall. If I see diagonal braces (usually 1x4's) or "posts" (4x4s or multiple 2x4s), I would assume loadbearing and have to look farther to figure how to carry the load.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 07:53 PM

Hi patty

Do roof rafters run in same direction as wall u want to remove? If they do, ceiling beams probably also run parallel to wall.

If there is an attic above this space, go in attic and see which way ceiling beams are running. If ceiling is sheetrock, u will find supports nailed between beams where wall is located. U will also see a 2x4 nailed to the bottom of supports the length of wall. This the top plate of wall.

If what I described is there, wall is not a bearing wall and can be removed. Be careful of any electric that may be on this wall.

Good luck

Chuck

Aug 19, 2009, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi patty

Do roof rafters run in same direction as wall u want to remove? If they do, ceiling beams probably also run parallel to wall.

If there is an attic above this space, go in attic and see which way ceiling beams are running. If ceiling is sheetrock, u will find supports nailed between beams where wall is located. U will also see a 2x4 nailed to the bottom of supports the length of wall. This the top plate of wall.

If what I described is there, wall is not a bearing wall and can be removed. Be careful of any electric that may be on this wall.

Good luck

Chuck
    Roof rafters run in the same direction as the wall and so do the ceiling beams. I only have one light switch to remove and it will be shoretened and moved to the section of wall I will be leaving. So can I tear down 6' of this 11'6" wall?
    Name:  IMG_0375.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0377.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0380.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  133.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0381.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  134.0 KB
    The second pic of the attic shows the area where I want to tear down the wall... you can see the ceiling joists with wires running across them. I want to tear the wall out up to the other side of the aquarium.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 01:51 AM

Hi Patty

In my opinion, the end of the wall where sconce is located, is supporting a beam/girder that is carrying ceiling beams.

U would have to leave this support. U can remove wall from inside of girder, but must leave the post.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 20, 2009, 05:55 AM

Hi Patty,

I disagree with Chuck, sorry Chuck.

Assuming that there is a center beam, it would not be dependent on the wall that you wish to remove.

From the photo, it's only about 4" to the exterior wall. That would be the resting point of the beam.

I, of course don't know the span of the ceiling joist. I can't tell whether you have stick built ceiling joist and rafters or engineered trusses. If engineered trusses they would be self supporting and there very well may not be a beam in that soffit.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 07:46 AM

Hi Patty

I agree with Harold as to the truss rafters.

To check if this is so, clear insulation from area in attic to coincide with soffit. If ceiling beams are by passing each other at that point, then soffit is bearing.

To check from living area if soffit is bearing, measure down from ceiling at soffit about 8''and 12'' to right of wall. Drill a small hole. If u hit solid wood, drill another hole about 8''inches to right. If u get solid wood again, can assume soffit is bearing.

Harold= I am not saying wall can not be removed. I am saying studding under soffit can not be removed if there is support beam in soffit.

Chuck

Aug 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Hi Patty,

Assuming that there is a center beam, it would not be dependant on the wall that you wish to remove.

From the photo, it's only about 4" to the exterior wall. That would be the resting point of the beam.

I, of course don't know the span of the ceiling joist. I can't tell whether you have stick built ceiling joist and rafters or engineered trusses. If engineered trusses they would be self supporting and there very well may not be a beam in that soffit.
    They are engineered trusses and the soffit is just framed out to separate the cathedral ceiling from the other ceiling.
    Ultra Member

Aug 20, 2009, 03:00 PM

Hi Patty

Looks like u are good to go.

Chuck

Aug 21, 2009, 05:49 AM
    Hi Patty,

Assuming that there is a center beam, it would not be dependant on the wall that you wish to remove.

I am including a couple more pictures just to make sure. The opening over the dining room is 9 1/2'.
    Name:  IMG_0385.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  60.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0400.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  46.7 KB
    The photo of the attic is right above the soffit.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Aug 21, 2009, 06:02 AM

Isn't that a beam with drywall blocking in the photo?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

Just to poke my nose in, is there a basement and if so check to see where that beam is and that's normally under the next floor load to attic. Just another way to get the feel of the load points.

Aug 22, 2009, 02:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    Just to poke my nose in, is there a basement and if so check to see where that beam is and thats normally under the next floor load to attic. Just another way to get the feel of the load points.
    No basement... just a concrete slab.
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Aug 22, 2009, 12:14 PM

Your last picture seems to show a beam with drywall blocking nailed to the top of it correct?

Aug 22, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zippit View Post
    your last picture seems to show a beam with drywall blocking nailed to the top of it correct?
    Yes but it is a hollow beam studded out for a soffit.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 01:48 PM

Patty,

If it is a hollow beam, its not a beam, just a studded out soffit. That also means it's not load bearing at all.

Aug 22, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Patty,

If it is a hollow beam, its not a beam, just a studded out soffit. That also means it's not load bearing at all.
    Thanks again Harold!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Removing wall anchors [ 5 Answers ]

What's the best way to get wall anchors out of tile? I've got a bunch of them, mostly in the grout lines. I'm afraid of cracking the tile. :(

Removing the handle part of a shower diverter [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to fix my leaky shower. When I turn the shower on most of the hot water goes down the drain. I have removed the screw that holds the handle on but I can't get the handle off. It will turn to the off position or to the on position. The pipe that goes into the wall will loosen but the...

Removing wall paper [ 6 Answers ]

This is only one of my projects today. I know it won't be easy, have a few ideas and will try them all because basically have nothing to lose but time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

Removing an interior wall [ 3 Answers ]

I am Renovating my kitchen and am removing the wall between the kitchen and dining room. The roof is constructed with W trusses that span the entire house. The wall rests beneath the middle of the trusses, but only halfway along from an exterior wall. After searching on-line for a while I have...

Removing a wall (with pictures [ 8 Answers ]

I have a wall which separates the vanity area from the shower/toilet area. I want to remove this wall, but was surprised when I removed the drywall. As seen in the photo below there is a 2X12 header across the door and a double 2X4 plate across the top. There is no support beam or post in the...

View more questions Search