Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikki66rqs Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Sep 26, 2006, 07:09 PM
    Depression = Weight gain?
    Can depression bring on weight gain? I think I am depressed after I had my baby and I haven't lossed a pound since I had her. I want to eat a lot. I don't try to coat my feelings with food... I just find that I'm just hungry during meal times and I eat a lot of food.

TIA,
    Nikki66rqs
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 1, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Yes, depression can cause weight gain. It can also cause weight loss in some.

You say you may be depressed after the birth of your baby. You should make an appointment with your physician to discuss this. It could be hormonal in nature also. Your doc will be able to guide you in the right direction.
    maggiemae Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Are you breastfeeding your baby? If so, you will be hungry and need to eat more~ Talk to your Dr. can't emphasize that enough! Good Luck!
    lovelesspa Posts: 1,019, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki66rqs
    Can depression bring on weight gain? I think I am depressed after I had my baby and I haven't lossed a pound since I had her. I want to eat alot. I don't try to coat my feelings with food... I just find that I'm just hungry during meal times and I eat alot of food.

TIA,
    Nikki66rqs
    Hey having a baby is a lot of work, and it's just beginning, After having all mine I was always starving, I ate as I was hungry. Right now don't concentrate so much on your weight, just re-adjust what you eat, eat more full grains, veggies and fruits, lean meats, take skin or turkey and chicken, use peanut or olive oil to cook, cut out Fried foods and fast food stops for awhile. If you drink colas, drink diet or calorie free types,
    Try not to eat processed meats, (hot dogs, lunch meats), start reading labels, and watch salt intake. Your baby needs a healthy mom, this low:) time will go away, your lacking sleep and this is a new undertaking, Motherhood is a full time job, you'll be fine, keep working on it, OK...
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 1, 2006, 02:01 AM
    Any form of stress can lead to increased levels of cortisol. In the long term, such elevated levels of cortisol can have wide ranging effects on health including weight gain, and a possible causative link to depression. Though, as depression itself is inherently stressful, this in and of itself could theoretically serve to perpetuate the cycle:

http://depression.about.com/od/causes/f/cortisol.htm
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2006, 02:06 AM
    Breastfeeding actually will cause you to have a big appetite and actually drink lots of liquids. You lose lots of caleries by breast feeding and in order to keep up with what you need and the baby needs you need to eat certain foods that will deliver the needed supply. Also after having a baby. Depression or baby blues are coming or it could just be simply that your exshosted and tired, and frustrated and upset but this is all normal at times while taking care of the new baby. If there are more serious reasons you think your depressed you do need to speak to gyno, ob.

Joe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need my dog to gain weight [ 14 Answers ]

Hello I was just wondering I have a dog is an american pitbull terrier but he doesn't gain weight I already used redcell to see if that would help but it doesn't I mean he does gain weight but his body doesn't change he looks the same but heavier so I would like to know if any one knows how to make...

I Am Trying To Gain Weight Helpppp [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Trying To Gain Weight It Seems Like After I Had My Baby I Can't Gain Any Weight So I Need To Know How To Do This Fastttt Help

Weight gain [ 2 Answers ]

I am 22, height 155cm.50kg. I want to have expanded bones and more weight so that I will be looking like the person of correct age. Now I am looking like 15year boy. This makes me depression. Kindly give the suggestions and advice.

Weight Gain! [ 3 Answers ]

This question is also under Other (Health & Wellness): OK, let's see. I'm 5'10", 100 lbs, and have a very hyper metabolism. I'm 28 and have tried things like protein shakes/mixes with other meals, milk, bananas, etc. People tell me a lot, but I am getting no results. Does someone out there...

Weight Gain! [ 1 Answers ]

OK, let's see. I'm 5'10", 100 lbs, and have a very hyper metabolism. I'm 28 and have tried things like protein shakes/mixes with other meals, milk, bananas, etc. People tell me a lot, but I am getting no results. Does someone out there know of something that really can put weight on this body...

View more questions Search