Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tj_dp Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Making a telescope. Getting started.
    Hi every one...
    I want to make a telescope... few of my friends have it but they bought it. Instead, I want to build it on my own... none of them have any idea how to build it...
    Can any one help me in building it?? Any information would do.. like... books I can gett on how to build a telescope on my own etc...
    Thanks
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2009, 01:02 PM

There is lots of information on the Internet about building telescopes. I assume you're going to buy the lenses or mirrors rather than grind them yourself. That's probably the most difficult part of the project. Aligning the lenses/mirrors is another part of the problem.

Good luck,

Let me google that for you

http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/tele/tele.htm
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

May 10, 2009, 07:11 PM

You can start completely from scratch, but Perito is correct - grinding the optics is an art. There are kits available and I suggest you look into that for your first try. The simplest basic scope design is the Newtonian reflector. You also see references to Dobsonian telescopes, - which is a Newtonian design of the simplest construction and is certainly one design you should consider as a beginner. Seehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dobsonian

You could try to build a refractor scope, but they are a lot harder to build correctly and are more costly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The first telescope [ 2 Answers ]

My son is 6 years old. He loves astronomy so much. What is the most suitable telescopes for him? Is it 30mm, 50mm, orbigger one?

Buying a telescope [ 3 Answers ]

Is there anyone out there that gaze at the stars? I’m looking into buying a telescope so I can start a new hobby. So what I want to know is what is one of the best and inexpensive telescopes on the market?

Built my own telescope [ 1 Answers ]

What is the best book out that gives you good details on how to build your own telescope?

Kind of telescope [ 5 Answers ]

What kind of telescope to purchase for my family to observe our solar system. Any help is greatly appreciated.

View more questions Search