Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snake187 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

May 10, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Accident in company vehicle
    My friend got in to accident in a company vehicle. It was his fault but no one was hurt and there was no alcohol or drugs in system. It was just a normal every day accident. My question is how can the company make him pay for the damages out his pocket. The company has fully covered insurance on all there vehicles. Is that even leagel
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 10, 2009, 11:12 AM

Need more info - the employer is refusing to turn the accident over to the insurance company OR the employer is asking your friend to pay the deductible?

What does the employment contract say?

And, yes, if the employer takes your friend to Court for the deductible, the employer will undoubtedly win.

I'm an accident investigator - what is a normal, every day accident?

May 10, 2009, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Need more info - the employer is refusing to turn the accident over to the insurance company OR the employer is asking your friend to pay the deductible?

What does the employment contract say?

And, yes, if the employer takes your friend to Court for the deductible, the employer will undoubtedly win.

I'm an accident investigator - what is a normal, every day accident?
    My friend did not pay the deductible he had to the (full price of damages ) it was pay or loose your job and his boss made him sign a piece of paper saying he would pay. Also a normal accident means not (HIGH /DRUNK) while on your way to work in the morning.

May 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snake187 View Post
    my friend did not pay the deductible he had to the (full price of damages ) it was pay or loose your job and his boss made him sign a piece of paper saying he would pay. also a normal accident means not (HIGH /DRUNK) while on your way to work in the morning.
    Also my friend never went to court. His boss did not turn it in to insurance company and kept the money for his self. I assume that's what happened I don't know.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
    also my friend never went to court. his boss did not turn it in to insurance company and kept the money for his self. i assume thats what happened i don't know.
    Your friend should talk with the claims adjuster who handled the accident and also find out what an employee's responsibility is for damages when he is at fault in an accident with a company car.

May 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Your friend should talk with the claims adjuster who handled the accident and also find out what an employee's responsibility is for damages when he is at fault in an accident with a company car.
    There was no claims ajuster who handled the accident it was closed case either you pay for all damages or loose your job the only person my friend talked to was his boss. What I'm trying to say nothing went on the books leagely that's my friends boss did what did and got away with it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 11:53 AM
    there was no claims ajuster who handled the accident it was closed case either you pay for all damages or loose your job the only person my friend talked to was his boss. what im trying to say nothing went on the books leagely thats my friends boss did what did and got away with it.
    Was the car repaired? You know for sure this is what happened?

May 10, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Was the car repaired? You know for sure this is what happened?
    Yes I know for sure I used to work there. Yes but it was not for about a year after the accident the truck was finally fixed.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 12:07 PM
    yes i know for sure i used to work there. yes but it was not for about a year after the accident the truck was finally fixed.
    Who paid for the repairs? How was the amount of damage determined? Is this a small company, and is the boss the owner?

May 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Who paid for the repairs? How was the amount of damage determined? Is this a small company, and is the boss the owner?
    Boss is not the owner. My friend paid for the repairs total was $2200 dollars and the company is not small they are nation wide. Also this happened to more than 1 person.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
    boss is not the owner. my friend payed for the repairs total was $2200 dollars and the company is not small they are nation wide. also this happened to more than 1 person.
    Is there an HR department? What are the terms of employment with respect to accidents?

Did the same boss do this with other employees? If so, why hasn't the company noticed damaged vehicles and heard about this scam?

May 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
    Is there an HR department? What are the terms of employment with respect to accidents?

Did the same boss do this with other employees? If so, why hasn't the company noticed damaged vehicles and heard about this scam?
    I'm not sure what the company policy is on accidents. The company knows about the accidents but they are in on it and let it happen.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 12:42 PM

A national company?? I wonder if you have your facts straight.

Your friend should find out the company policy regarding accidents when driving company vehicles.

May 10, 2009, 12:47 PM
    A national company????? I wonder if you have your facts straight.

Your friend should find out the company policy regarding accidents when driving company vehicles.
    If I'm not mistaken I don't think that we were allowed to see the company policy. They would consider that a threat.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
    if im not mistaken i don't think that we were allowed to see the company policy. they would consider that a threat.
    A threat?

That makes no sense.

Most companies, especially a huge corporation, have a handbook for all employees stating company policy. Why would it be considered a threat to state company policy?

Something doesn't sound right here.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 12:49 PM
    if im not mistaken i don't think that we were allowed to see the company policy. they would consider that a threat.
    Oh, c'mon! A nationwide company? Any company worth its salt doesn't operate like that. Does the company have a web site?

May 10, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    A threat?

That makes no sense.

Most companies, especially a huge corporation, have a handbook for all employees stating company policy. Why would it be considered a threat to state company policy?

Something doesn't sound right here.
    Let me put it this way a friend of I worked with at the same company got hurt on the job they (tried to make it look like it never happened) this very true it is no joke that's kind of people I used to work for.

May 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
    Oh, c'mon! A nationwide company? Any company worth its salt doesn't operate like that. Does the company have a web site?
    Yes they have a web site but I will not release that information. No offence I don't know who you are. Believe what you want I don't care. I know what on there I worked there.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
    let me put it this way a friend of i worked with at the same company got hurt on the job they (tried to make it look like it never happened) this very true it is no joke thats kind of people i used to work for.
    Then why has no one ever gone to a lawyer about this?

May 10, 2009, 01:17 PM
    Then why has no one ever gone to a lawyer about this?
    Many people have tried and failed. Its hard to prove a company wrong when you no actual evidence, documentation, or even a witness to what goes on exspeaily if they work there. I seen the boss fire a crew of guys one time because they went off to take lunch. No lie.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Company Vehicle Purchase [ 1 Answers ]

How do I post a company vehicle purchase? What are the journal enteries?

Company vehicle [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I just wanted to know if potential customers actually care what you are driving (your company vehicle)?

Company paid vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a company paid vehicle. I have unlimited usage and my gas is also paid for by the Company. I live in North Carolina and I'm trying to figure out just how much having this perk is worth over a year's time...

Traffic accident speed of vehicle [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I need help there is a formula for finding the speed of a car by the skid marks it leaves What is the eqation and is it straight forward

Small claims despute for vehicle accident [ 8 Answers ]

Today I was served with a small claims court notice to appear. I'm being sued for damages that occurred during an accident which I was found at fault. I tried submitting a "supplimental form" to have the police report changed because there was many errors and lies from the other party involved....

View more questions Search